Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI'm not even trying to hate in Jay.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13174711&mesg_id=13175099
13175099, I'm not even trying to hate in Jay.
Posted by Mr. ManC, Tue Jul-18-17 09:41 PM
Blueprint is a classic. His level of flow and lyric and pocket + production is undeniable.

The song "4:44" as a follow up to "Song Cry" is really a step down. Jay is solid when talking his shit, but its not woke. Woke is Nas dropping "Ether" and "What Goes Around" on the same album.

Jay has his place in the pantheon. But his wokeness on 4:44 is average at best.

The financial component he brings up still misses the mark (to me) because his legitimacy and worth is still based in this system of capitalism. We can't all make it from that standpoint. Him trying to be like "support Tidal as Black business" is just funny to me. If your hood is in poverty you don't fix it with free turkeys for thanksgiving, or free concerts in Central Park. There are legit ways to circumvent this system but your worth cant be based or validated only by it. That seems to be Jay's only narrative. "Whats better than 1 billionaire? 2" sounds like a slogan for Trump/Bloomberg. Cringeworthy shit, imho, IF you are speaking from the perspective of liberating oppressed folks.