Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectSo your source is a Dave Chapelle bit? LOL, you can't be serious.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13164789&mesg_id=13167745
13167745, So your source is a Dave Chapelle bit? LOL, you can't be serious.
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Jun-21-17 09:42 PM
I'm giving you facts while both of you are simply saying "nah, that's not true" without a shred of historical citation or counter narrative.
Can't even take either of you serious at this point.

>The rise of the feminist movement and various Jim Crow era
>post slavery sabotage aren't that interlinked; the
>marginalization of the diaspora was happening anyway. Their
>gains weren't made on our backs as it will

Oh really? That is completely false.
The Black male rapist was the subject of many feminist addresses, and women's rights was framed as resistance to the negro rapist, but don't take my word for it... read for yourself, and really let this first one sink in.

“I do not want to see a negro man walk to the polls and vote on who should handle my tax money, while I myself cannot vote at all…When there is not enough religion in the pulpit to organize a crusade against sin; nor justice in the court house to promptly punish crime; nor manhood enough in the nation to put a sheltering arm about innocence and virtue—-if it needs lynching to protect woman’s dearest possession from the ravening human beasts—-then I say lynch, a thousand times a week if necessary.” - Rebecca Ann Latimer Felton, 1835-1930 (First woman to serve in the Senate)

“White supremacy will be strengthened, not weakened, by women’s suffrage.” - Carrie Chapman Catt, 1859-1947 (Founder of the League of Women Voters)

""(Stanton) didn't just stand on the moral high ground. She also descended to some rather ugly racist rhetoric along the lines of, 'We educated, virtuous white women are more worthy of the vote.' ... She talked about how much worse black men would be as voters than the white women about whom she was concerned, and she was really quite dismissive of black women's claims. ... There were some comments about, 'What will we and our daughters suffer if these degraded black men are allowed to have the rights that would make them even worse than our Saxon fathers?' She has one, I think, inexplicable comment about black women an even worse slavery under black men than they did under their former white slave owners."

"The old anti slavery school says women must stand back and wait until the negroes shall be recognized. But we say, if you will not give the whole loaf of suffrage to the entire people, give it to the most intelligent first. If intelligence, justice, and morality are to have precedence in the government, let the question of the woman be brought up first and that of the negro last." - Elizabeth C. Stanton

“The white men, reinforced by the educated white women, could ‘snow under’ the Negro vote in every State, and the white race would maintain its supremacy without corrupting or intimidating the Negroes.” - Laura Clay, 1849-1940 (Founder of Kentucky’s first suffrage group)

"European women were not only bearers of racist beliefs, but hardline operatives who put them in place... fostering new racial antagonisms, formerly muted by sexual acces" - Ann L. Stoler, anthropologist

Historians such as Allison Sneider, Margaret Jacobs, and Louise Newman have established that the quest for women's rights, and what is generally understood as a complement to the imperial-patriarchal endeavor rather than a challenge to it.

To add to that, ethnologists said Black men were biologically predisposed to rape, considering uncontrollable, insatiable, and dangerous. These were respected scientists of the time, so when we talk about white suffragists referring to Black men as "ravening human beasts" you have to understand the accepted science of the time. Even when bluebear refers to the original Birth of a Nation, he isn't putting it in proper context of the time and therefore totally misunderstands the film.

>athough as
>Chappelle said 'They were in on the heist', lol

I mostly gave you stuff you can't find on the internet,
because I have very little faith that someone
who cites Dave Chappelle in this discussion is
going to pick up a book.