Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectEver lose interest in collecting things? and why?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13154488
13154488, Ever lose interest in collecting things? and why?
Posted by handle, Tue May-09-17 05:37 PM
I used to really be into collecting certain things - but now I don't care that much if I have them anymore.

Why is that? I make more money now - could it be that I could just buy something if I needed it?

Things I collected that I've kind of lost instrest in:
Philip K. Dick books
Greg Egan books
Devo stuff
Vinyl (in general)
CDs (in general)
The Roots stuff (CDs, vinyl, etc.)

Or is it that these are all available in non-physical format?

Anyone else ever lose interest?
13154491, physical space became a premium.
Posted by Kwesi, Tue May-09-17 05:45 PM
i'm not organized in life enough to manage a thousand pieces of collectibles.
13155330, I eBayed 10 crates of vinyl and magazines cuz I ran out of room
Posted by j., Thu May-11-17 04:23 PM
I was in a struggle studio apt and it was looking Hoarders status
I came up on eBay, but that was in 04
I can only think what those Source, RapPages, and other early to late 90's mags are worth now
13154509, i stopped aggressively collecting roots stuff after phrenology
Posted by justin_scott, Tue May-09-17 06:25 PM
i still have all my vinyls and posters and a few other cool collectibles, but i've gotten rid of a lot.
13154511, Vinyl
Posted by sectachrome86, Tue May-09-17 06:30 PM
I built up a nice little collection, only a few bought online. I realized I was spending a ton of money on records I didn't really listen to and have pretty much lost all interest. I think there's a few reasons why:

My "music room" is also my home office now which I don't care to spend time in outside of work hours. Before I started to WFH I would just chill and hang out in here listening to records.

I was into sampling to make beats for a while and I lost interest in that too.

After moving my collection a couple times, I realized I was just amassing this big collection of stuff. I never listen to them now but I think I would find it hard to get rid of them. I could probably get rid of half of them though without caring much. Part of that is also just the annoyance of trying to sell them.
13154542, I've never really collected anything
Posted by be_yourself, Tue May-09-17 08:53 PM
I think I started to collect things a few times but very rapidly lost interest, and wondered what was the point of collecting things - and especially if all I was really going to collect was a lot of dust due to having stuff sat on a shelf not doing anything.

I'm at a time and place where I don't want much of anything, and I don't want anything extra to clutter up what little space I have.

----------------
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known - Carl Sagan
13154554, No. I only collect coins ad vinyl tho
Posted by flipnile, Tue May-09-17 09:52 PM
I play my vinyl, as I don't own any CDs or cassettes anymore. YouTube and vinyl (or WAVs ripped from records) are my only sources of music. When I want to hear new music I'll just play a random record that I haven't listened to yet. I try to only buy stuff that I like to listen to, which keeps the size down.

My coins are in two little boxes, and since they are mostly stuff I've found in change the collection hasn't grown much recently. Been harder to find old coins, and I never got into buying from shops.
13154577, CDs
Posted by beatnik, Wed May-10-17 12:22 AM
I was building up a collection, from about age 12 or 13 to 23 when I moved. The people I left my stuff with sold it, I still have some albums like Illmatic and Liquid Swords but after losing probably about 90% of what I had I'm done with physical copies.

But that external hard drive though lol
13155285, yeah, once i started with digital downloads and pirating I stopped
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Thu May-11-17 03:17 PM
collecting CDs.

In fact, when we moved I literally gave all my CDs to my cousin. There were so many that about 2 months after I unpacked, he gave me most of them shits back. Now they are in my storage area collecting dust.

13154580, After realizing how little value...
Posted by Mori, Wed May-10-17 01:02 AM
most of these things have, I just gave up.

I also hate junk.
13154582, I'm strictly "wait for the trade" when it comes to comics
Posted by mrhood75, Wed May-10-17 01:57 AM
Can't do single issues anymore. Only one title out there where that would interest me, and even then, it just about always reads better as a trade paperback.

I also don't crate dig for vinyl as much. Feel like I've got most of what I need.
13154595, You're right,
Posted by Shogun, Wed May-10-17 07:17 AM
>Can't do single issues anymore. Only one title out there
>where that would interest me, and even then, it just about
>always reads better as a trade paperback.
>

I'm about to move on to graphic novels too. Single issues are out of control.

13154734, Yeah I tried the every Wednesday thing for a while
Posted by sectachrome86, Wed May-10-17 10:56 AM
buying the Snyder/Capullo Batman run. It was cool to experience the culture a little bit and frequent the local comic shop, but it was a lot of work and trades are just easier to read and store. I ended up just buying the the trades anyway. I never really got into the digital comic thing though.
13194977, comics are headed in that direction anyhow
Posted by Garhart Poppwell, Sun Sep-17-17 11:23 AM
not completely, but you'll start seeing 2 Dr. Strange stories a year in GN format instead of a published series, as an example.
13410377, It's Cause The Collected Trades Started Coming Out In Months...
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Tue Oct-27-20 10:55 PM
...instead of years after the comic storyline was finished, before a comic would have a storyline that was 8 issues, it would be years before Marvel or DC put them into a trade (and that's only if the book was popular or in high demand); now as soon as the 8th issue is out the next month it's a trade-paperback of all 8 issues with a new cover & some extra gallery art with it for under $20 when each issue probably costed $3.99 each.

For the comic company they're are trying to make as much money as possible cause they don't make money on back issues and resells, but on the other hand it makes collecting less exciting cause you might just like reading the book and having a book that's could be worth twice to ten times the cover price is a bonus, but not everyone is in it for the money/collectability part they just want to read it and see good artwork.

The main reason I got out of collecting comics was cause of the "variant cover" craze back when Image Comics first came out, it made every comic book company make multiple covers & then the retail prices started going up & up as they switched to different paper, and from old school coloring to digital coloring, to digital drawing.
13154594, Comic books just got ridiculous. Price and continuity
Posted by Shogun, Wed May-10-17 07:16 AM
Too many reboots, plotlines, and alternate universe stuff.

I'm not buying 10 different versions of Spider-Man every month.

I recently got back into the Marvel titles because of all the influx of Black characters, but they're on that bullshit again.

Black Panther
World of Wakanda
Black Panther & The Crew

That's three different titles right there, not to mention variant covers. Plus I buy

Sam Wilson: Captain America
Cage
Ironman ( Riri Williams)
Spider-Man ( Miles Morales)

I'm not gonna drop 40 bucks every other week on this shit, man.

13154596, Comics got insane
Posted by Paps_Smear, Wed May-10-17 07:21 AM
And fuck Marvel events

Whats so special about an event when another event starts up right after one just ends? Sometimes they overlap one another.

Right now I only buy singles if its a monthly release only, and the book has to be special for me. Others I'll get digital or in trade. Best advice if you still want to collect is only get milestone issues in singles or when something major happens in that one issue. Like a main character in The Walking Dead dies or some crap.

That hobby because some expensive I was forced to stop, only so much room for long boxes.
13154598, There've been times when I'm in the shop like:
Posted by Shogun, Wed May-10-17 07:29 AM
Well...when the fuck did THIS happen?

The overlap shit is ridiculous. I got sucked into that 'Take Back The Shield' stuff in Capt America, and it had me buying stuff I don't even like. That's when I knew it had gone too far.

13155786, Bruh.... I had to stop in the '90s because of this
Posted by spenzalii, Fri May-12-17 03:18 PM
>Too many reboots, plotlines, and alternate universe stuff.
>
>I'm not buying 10 different versions of Spider-Man every
>month.
>

I had to quit around the Maximum Carnage saga. 14 part story across 8 comics that came out by-weekly or some nonsense. My pockets could not keep up (especially if I was buying doubles, mylar and backing cards for special editions)
13410331, I've fallen off of comics multiple times.
Posted by JFrost1117, Tue Oct-27-20 07:05 PM
When I was a kid, I dropped them cold turkey for a subscription to VIBE. Now though, I wanted to get back in, and with the new X-Men run, there are already multiple books telling parts of the same story. I'm already disinterested.
13154627, hoes
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed May-10-17 08:30 AM
13154630, How do you prepare your garden then? Have you upgraded to plows?
Posted by flipnile, Wed May-10-17 08:33 AM
13155022, I just stopped loving them.
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu May-11-17 08:35 AM
13154741, yes.clothes
Posted by Trinity444, Wed May-10-17 11:04 AM
while moving and then unpacking I realize I have too much. it's not even possible to wear that many clothes, shoes and carry that many purses in a lifetime. I'm downgrading..

it's so dumb....

13154766, I'm into digital archiving now
Posted by dustin, Wed May-10-17 11:59 AM
Old documents (including pics) from my Nigerian side of the family are pretty scarce. If we come across a picture or anything, I scan it and share it with the extended family and then throw the original in the family safe.

I have a modest vinyl collection but even with that I'm like, ok about 100 more and I'm gonna have space trouble..
13154767, after you let go of things you find out it's easier
Posted by Rjcc, Wed May-10-17 12:00 PM
to live without them than you thought.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
13154770, ^^^^pretty much^^^^
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Wed May-10-17 12:07 PM

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
13154779, I had boxes of magazines I'd collected just laying around
Posted by Rjcc, Wed May-10-17 12:20 PM
at my old apartment

then when I moved into a house my sneaker collection exploded.

moving in w/ my fiancee I had to pretty much get rid of half my shoes and tbh it's much better, I actually know which ones I have now.

I think I've bought three new pairs in the last year, and probably 4 pairs for her

13410152, Currently trying to convince my mother of this.
Posted by Teknontheou, Tue Oct-27-20 11:15 AM
13154768, Blaxploitation movies
Posted by ambient1, Wed May-10-17 12:04 PM
they always grow legs for some reason

it started when I 'lost' my The Mack tape...

i'll prolly restart tho

13154773, My level of happiness used to depend on proximity to a record store.
Posted by Teknontheou, Wed May-10-17 12:12 PM
When I first moved up to Jersey all the record stores were in the process of closing and it made me immensely sad because I had to resort to either ordering CD's through Amazon, paying high prices at Border's or Barnes and Noble, or taking trips into New York. All to collect music.

Now I just pull stuff up on Youtube and listen to it almost whenever I want.
13154776, I do this, but I can't give up the sound quality of vinyl
Posted by flipnile, Wed May-10-17 12:16 PM
>Now I just pull stuff up on Youtube and listen to it almost
>whenever I want.

I have some big speakers at home, and I like my music loud and deep without hurting my ears or being harsh. The only formats that work for me are vinyl, cassettes and 24bit WAVs. Everything else seems like it gets muddy fast when the volume and bass go up.
13154791, cameras. I went deep for a few years.
Posted by double negative, Wed May-10-17 12:54 PM
but I reached a point where I needed the money so I sold off my gear

now at this point I know how to make a great image and I realize that I like taking pictures and nerding out over cameras more than I like actually producing images (you only have so much wall space and it takes for fucking ever to process images) so I have boxes of undeveloped film as well as full CF cards.

I would like to get my hands on a medium format TLR again since I would be able to theoretically afford to develop a 24 roll per week and not even notice the cost.
13154958, why? physical space to keep things...
Posted by sosumi, Wed May-10-17 08:33 PM
13154983, RE: Ever lose interest in collecting things? and why?
Posted by astroman71, Wed May-10-17 10:31 PM
I still collect music but I have to say the internet killed much of my excitement about colllectimg.

The thrill of crate digging or finding a missing comic book issue was a big part of collecting for me.

Stumbling onto a Prince bootleg or a Frank Miller Daredevil was straight up kid on Christmas morning bliss..

Now, I can find and buy 99% of what I want on my phone in five minutes.

It's not even close to being the same...
13155283, yes. reasons:
Posted by Bblock, Thu May-11-17 03:04 PM
becomes harder to get them
can't get a fix on collecting them fast enough,so the desire dies down
the item no longer fills the void it was meant to
space, time, cost to collect them
i've collected comic books, action figures, hilfiger shirts, girbaud jeans, japanese denim jeans, jordans, cds, and records
records by far have been the most extensive and what i've been collecting for the longest
even then, i've taken a 15 year break from collecting records, only to start up and amass a collection to rival what i still have from before

right now, i'm questioning myself, like what is my endgame with this?
13155290, sneakers
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Thu May-11-17 03:20 PM
I wouldn't call myself a 'collector' but I have a ton of kicks I've bought over the years that I haven't thrown or given away simply bc they are still close to new.
I only wear sneakers on the weekend and most weekends I have on my running shoes that I wear to the gym. I have jordans, air max, dunks, etc, that are just sitting in the boxes.
13155340, I had so many shoes that I had never worn at all
Posted by Rjcc, Thu May-11-17 04:37 PM
I gave a lot of them away to friends and their kids, and donated a lot of other pairs to some of the local teen shelters.

The folks there said they don't get a lot of donations for boys, and especially not stuff that they'd actually want to wear.

13195041, i used to try to 'save' certain kicks
Posted by GROOVEPHI, Mon Sep-18-17 09:02 AM
I had some airmax 95s years that were super fresh bc I had only worn them a few times. I broke them shits out the box and the damn sole came off. my boy, whos a serious sneakerhead, said you gotta wear your kicks or else that's gonna happen. LOL. i'm sure I have some shoes in my closet somewhere going through the same process right now.
13155754, Comics
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri May-12-17 02:09 PM
Heavy into them 30 years ago.

The problem is they just became too complicated. There is no way I can pick up an X-man comic today and have any idea what is going on.

I do check out limited run series of contained universe stories like Saga but other than that, I can't do the commitment.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
13155930, Selling my Devo stuff on eBay now
Posted by handle, Sat May-13-17 02:25 PM
Let's see how this goes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/122495153011?

Listed as a group - didn't describe all items or conditions - still took 2 hours to get photos and great a listing.

Next up: My misc CDs and Vinyl as lots. (Like 40 rap records for sale at once with just photos.)
13155936, never lost interest in fossils
Posted by rawsouthpaw, Sat May-13-17 03:13 PM
everything else it's not happening. maybe ill art books. got wild / dope oceanic fossils from running through nature mostly as a yout'.
and letting things go gets easier on the buddhist tip.
13194930, More updates
Posted by handle, Sat Sep-16-17 05:10 PM
My collection of 650 items from The Roots -> GONE. (To a good home.)

My Devo collection -> gone.

My "non essential" CDs and vinyl collection (approximately 900 items) -> Gone to charity.

Still have about 120 "essential" pieces of vinyl and 200 "essential" CDs.

Still have: All of my mp3s.

And I don't regret it.
13194947, thanks a lot
Posted by rdhull, Sat Sep-16-17 07:55 PM
>My collection of 650 items from The Roots -> GONE. (To a good
>home.)
>
>My Devo collection -> gone.
>
>My "non essential" CDs and vinyl collection (approximately 900
>items) -> Gone to charity.
>
>Still have about 120 "essential" pieces of vinyl and 200
>"essential" CDs.
>
>Still have: All of my mp3s.
>
>And I don't regret it.
>
13410151, ALL VINYL GONE
Posted by handle, Tue Oct-27-20 11:13 AM
Sending out the very last piece of vinyl in my house today.
13410154, I’ll never get rid of my vinyl
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Oct-27-20 11:21 AM
It’s my dads collection so it’s sentimental.

We have a lot of purging we need to do tho. Taking photos and posting it is time consuming but I still think is better than a yard sale.

My wife LOVES the idea of yard sales. No contact yard sale? FOH. I hate them. I’m actually in the “donate that shit”
like but my wife wants to did good homes for some of these baby strollers and shit.

13410153, As far as CDs/music, once the internet and streaming became
Posted by Teknontheou, Tue Oct-27-20 11:19 AM
easy I realized all I really wanted was access to the music, not so much ownership. I'll buy CDs that I really cherish, or if I want to support the artist, but otherwise I'll just pull their stuff up on Youtube.
13410163, Not yet, but I know it's coming.
Posted by squeeg, Tue Oct-27-20 11:55 AM
I collect records, CDs, and old video games. I've always been a collector; in my youth it was action figures and Bic pens (I can't explain that one). I've slowed down on buying CDs, since I mostly stream music, and barely have a working CD player. I still buy vinyl, but the thrill I used to get from that has mostly shifted to buying retro games. In all cases, I buy way more than I consume. I'm sure I'll eventually give it all up, but I'm not there yet.

www.twitter.com/urkelmoedee

www.albumism.com/search?q=Marcus%20Willis

Return To Zero: A rap radio show hosted by mrhood75 (Spider Jerusalem) and me (UrkelMoeDee)
www.mixcloud.com/returntozero
13410460, yup i used to collect magazines
Posted by Damali, Wed Oct-28-20 10:52 AM
For a long time, I had a HUGE collections of GAMES Magazine. Mostly cuz I wanted to finish every puzzle before throwing it away.. Its a classic now and whenever I see it, i buy one and do some of the puzzles in it...

but yeah, i got bored of it..they were taking up space and i wasn't going back to finish the puzzles.

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly
13410539, Most of Hendrix' stuff not on YouTube anymore
Posted by flipnile, Wed Oct-28-20 03:06 PM
A big reason I'm hanging onto the records. Online services are just not dependable enough for me. Been pissing me off that I can't pull up "If 6 was 9" online.

My mom gave me a grip of sports cards from her basement. Used to collect those as a kid. Gonna get rid of these.