Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI would just like a more honest and open discussion on the topic
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13128897&mesg_id=13129251
13129251, I would just like a more honest and open discussion on the topic
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Sat Feb-25-17 09:28 AM
Until recently it's never been a Republican/Democrat issue. Neither side ever really took a hard-line stance on the issue despite it increasingly becoming a major topic of national debate.

I realize many Americans lie somewhere in the middle, but far too often the conversation goes nowhere bc you have conservative bigots who make arguments steeped in unnecessary fear, xenophobia, and racism. On the other side, you get liberals who shout down anything proposed by a Republican and are unwilling to discuss any option that puts even limited restrictions on immigration.

On the surface, yeah sure, this country's founding gives it no merit to enforce an immigration rule. However, most countries do have policies in place to vet and restrict the number of immigrants coming in to their country. I don't think it's necessarily bad per se - if it's done in an equitable and just manner.

But back to my main point. People need to be more honest. The vast majority of undocumented immigrants aren't coming here if a job doesn't await them. Are we supposed to pretend that only liberals (you know, the lazy entitled party?) are hiring these undocumented workers? Are we supposed to pretend that only liberals are renting their homes/apartments to undocumented families? Are we supposed to pretend that they aren't contributing in a meaningful way to our expanding economy?

Mass deportation will cause a shit ton of problems for our country that I'm not sure we are prepared to confront. I could say much more....