Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAnyone here afraid of flying...but still fly?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13126088&mesg_id=13126088
13126088, Anyone here afraid of flying...but still fly?
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Feb-16-17 11:05 AM
Be it because you have to for work, or just suck it up and do it for certain travel because it's faster and sometimes the most efficient way? I have not flown since Nov. 6th, 2006. That was when I flew home from Iraq. I landed at Lambert Airport, St. Louis and said I would NEVER step foot on an airplane again. Welp...yesterday I was called into my supervisor's supervisor's office...and told that in the last supervisor meeting I was unanimously selected to fly down to our main HQ (Deerfield Beach, FL) to attend our company's shareholder meeting next month. Ummmm...GULP!!! I finished out the little meeting without letting on, but I damn near passed out when I got back to my desk, lol. Jokes aside...I'm pretty much terrified. It's 3 weeks from yesterday and it's all I can think about, now. About a month before it was time for me to leave Iraq, I legit had a panic attack at the thought of flying home. Obviously I'm here today, so it turned out to be much ado about nothing...but, it felt so real at the time. I've talked to several folk who have flown down before and they all rave about it. We fly straight from our company's hangar at the airport on a private jet that seats 8 (or 12, depending on which one they send up). No waiting. Just park, show your I.D. and get on the jet. Every chair is a leather, swivel joint with individual tv screens. You plug in your headphones, select a movie and lounge. Apparently, private jets fly higher and faster than commercial joints...the trip from StL to Deerfield is 2 hours. Doesn't really help, though. I'm prolly just going to try and sleep. Stay up all night the night before, pop an Alieve PM like an hour before the flight, throw on one of those sleep masks and hopefully be out before we take off.