Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMeh....she has a 'voice' and not much more.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13121422&mesg_id=13122153
13122153, Meh....she has a 'voice' and not much more.
Posted by denny, Fri Feb-03-17 10:58 PM
Her big album was pretty much a manufactured, session player/team effort. But that's the thing about artists who are defined by their voice. Their music is only gonna be as good as the team behind her.

I saw her during the Roots/Fugees tour way back when....and it was CRAZY how clear her impending stardom was. Noone could take their eyes off her. I was pissed because I bought the ticket RIGHT before 'Killing em softly' came out so the Roots were supposed to be headlining....but it got switched. In anycase...as soon as she hit the stage it was just pure star-power at work.

The only way her career can be saved is if she agrees to hitch onto a shit hot producer and does EXACTLY what they tell her to. But she won't. Someone made a post about how the word 'artist' is used and I think it applies to Lauryn. She's not an artist...she's a vocalist. Her producer needs to be the artist and she needs to be the singer and it could work.