Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectLMAO someone at work “reported” me for being “unfriendly”
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13110733&mesg_id=13110733
13110733, LMAO someone at work “reported” me for being “unfriendly”
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jan-03-17 03:04 PM
SMH@these petty motherfuckers. Tis the season I suppose, lol

Apparently the complaint was an anonymous letter to a DM that said the following:

-I don’t socialize with my coworkers. This is false, because I do. I just don’t do lunch, breaks or happy hours.

-I am often “short” when greeting this person in passing, and appear disinterested in talking.

-I often have my headphones on when walking through the office. Not the lobby, not where are customers are, which is an obvious and absolute no go to anyone with sense, but the back office, where it’s perfectly accepted, allowed, and common.

-I don’t appear willing to assist coworkers.

I was told to try to be more “sociable” and “accessible”.

Now…. I have a few suspects in mind, but even if it’s neither of them, this is hilarious. First, I answer questions all damn day. The problem I think people have is that I don’t solve their problem for them. If they ask a question I know for sure off top, I’ll answer.

Otherwise I ask the same two questions every time:

-Did you check the handbook?

-Are you current with the updated material?

Because I’m not going to do your research for you for your case, so if you didn’t do that, there’s no conversation for us to have.

Further, we have a resource department that literally exists in part to answer questions.

In terms of shortness, yeah, I am, because if I’m not every person I pass by wants updates on my wife, my kids, myself, or to discuss my weekend, the fight, the game, or what have you. People can’t just say “hey!” and KIM. They want to stop in the hallway and chat. They mean well, but it’s just impractical to allow every passing acknowledgment to turn into a chat, even a quick one.

So I told my boss I’d be happy to engage everyone about my life if I could put those discussions on my productivity. Otherwise, that’s not changing. I’ll continue to ask questions as asked with basic answers and KIM.

Anyhow I strongly suspect one person in particular. I can’t walk by her desk without her asking some very basic, 101 level question about a case OR some shit that requires a long, hard look and never seems to have done any research before asking. Inevitably she’ll say something about her “adult” ADD being the reason she doesn’t understand this stuff and how they won’t accommodate her disability.

Hate to be insensitive here but IMO anyone who needs as much hand holding as that one has no business doing this job. I always refer her to resource or her supervisors because she’s a minefield to walk past.

We’re setup in sort of a maze and it’s impossible not to bump into multiple people over the course of the day and I have no choice but to pass this woman’s desk to get to mine, so yeah. I try to cut down my time with her as much as possible.

Apparently I’m not in any kind of trouble but “be more friendly” is a “suggestion” going forward.

Kind of an annoying way to ring in the new year at the office if you ask me. I can’t wait for the next staff meeting where someone whines because nobody decorated her desk for her birthday.