Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectTrying not to be the 'i told you so' guy
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13097003&mesg_id=13097567
13097567, Trying not to be the 'i told you so' guy
Posted by denny, Tue Nov-22-16 03:14 PM
But I specifically predicted that Kanye would support Trump. I also said that the emergence of public personas like Charlie Sheen and Kanye and the inexplicable allure they seem to hold over otherwise rational people set the stage for Trump's unprecedented campaign and what's partly being referred to as 'post-truth' now. The public seems to have an irregular appetite for wrestling-heel social interactions. It's some sort of perverse reaction to a deep-seated resentment of social institutions that are seen to be much less valuable when you don't have a job.

I really don't think I'm reading too much into this. If someone had behaved publically like kanye or Charlie Sheen in 1990 their career would be over. Same thing with a politician who behaved like Trump. Narcissism has taken over our culture and is 'in' right now. Sincerity is boring and cowardly. Truth is irrelevant. Greed is fun. Compassion is pretentious.