Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMy read:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13092637&mesg_id=13096432
13096432, My read:
Posted by denny, Sat Nov-19-16 02:45 PM
Tip is the Paul Mccartney of Tribe. The unappreciated one that responds in a way that makes him look vindicative. He kinda feel into that trap of being too humble while it was happening and then having to over-correct later on and coming off self-absorbed. My guess is that in later years he became more concerned about his legacy (understandable) and probably really regretted not seeking out credit for his contribution while it was happening.

The others kinda resent him because he held all the power. He has more money than the others and didn't really need to do reunion tours....Whereas the others were probably a little desperate for that cash-in money. So you could see why they would resent the hell outta him. They kinda NEED him and he doesn't need them. That's a bad dynamic for friendship/group dynamics.

From Tip's perspective....he spread around credit for Tribe's sound in a pretty altruistic way. And you can see how many people underestimate his contribution...people have a really hard time accepting that he basically created their entire sound. This HAS to be frustrating for Tip. And the other members hesitancy in giving him that credit probably came off as a sort of betrayal in response to his generosity in never claiming it during those years. Then....when he tries to reclaim that credit in subsequent years he's characterized as being selfish. So you can see how it's frustrating for him too. Basically, the other guys were just along for a ride that he built...so you can imagine how it must feel when they make diss tracks about you and do interviews claiming that your the cause of the break-up. On some 'There'd be nothing TO break-up if it wasn't for me'. So he almost HAS to become the self-absorbed, unlikeable one even though this whole thing was HIS creation. (ala Macca)

I'd imagine Phife's wife and family are probably like 'we would've been alot more comfortable if Tip just cooperated' but Tip's counter would be 'I'm not responsible to carry everyone else's weight. If you really need me that badly then maybe you shouldn't make me look bad in the press'. It's just a lose-lose scenario....their tension isn't a lack of character...it's a pretty typical situation where everyone tends to double-down on their own perspective.

I'm just happy they had their Spinal Tap moment and found some common ground before it was too late.