Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectmusically toothless and staid | great lyrics
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13092637&mesg_id=13094899
13094899, musically toothless and staid | great lyrics
Posted by bearfield, Tue Nov-15-16 09:20 PM
the raps are topical, personal, introspective, and worldly. good stuff. there's definitely something to be said for aged rappers with an experience-informed worldview who can compose compelling verses. there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of that lately. i'm enjoying that aspect of the project

but i think i don't like the album. i find myself having pulled a 180 and i'm listening for the lyrics in spite of the music instead of the inverse. i'm not feeling any of these beats and that's probably going to put this album in the "one time listen" category. it's very apparent tip & co. haven't been making music for a long time. i don't know exactly what is happening with the drum programming at the end of "lost somebody" but it sounds amateurish. the beats sound stale and the mixing is bad. it sounds like someone trying to imitate tribe circa 2006 on cheap equipment instead of a collection of hip hop legends finding their inspiration again