Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWhat would a president have to do to be proven incompetent?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13089917
13089917, What would a president have to do to be proven incompetent?
Posted by Moonlit_Force, Thu Nov-03-16 12:40 PM
Sure, we have had presidents impeached for blowjobs and asked to resign because they were power-tripping, but there hasn't been a precedent for being completely unqualified...yet.

What would it take? Is it even possible with the people surrounding the office (i.e. handlers and consultants)?
13089933, see: term of George W. Bush
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Nov-03-16 12:59 PM
>What would it take? Is it even possible with the people
>surrounding the office (i.e. handlers and consultants)?
13089948, Lol I thought of him of course.
Posted by Moonlit_Force, Thu Nov-03-16 01:12 PM
But his legacy has remained surprisingly intact despite a portion of the country considering his presidency a failure and embarrassment.
13090549, Same
Posted by lfresh, Sat Nov-05-16 01:24 AM
History is correcting that...I guess
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
13089938, there is no Constitutional requirement that POTUS be 'competent'.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Nov-03-16 01:07 PM
so i dunno what that means.

the POTUS has to be at least 35 years old, a US resident and a natural born citizen. that's it.

13089949, Hold me SoWhat. This reply scared the shit out of me.
Posted by Moonlit_Force, Thu Nov-03-16 01:21 PM
:-(

The same stipulations/gauges regarding competency in the court of law apply to the office right?
13090094, no.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Nov-03-16 03:23 PM
1. don't ever use 'stipulation' like that again. a stipulation is merely an agreement between parties in a legal matter that certain facts are true.

2. no, the USC doesn't impose any requirements on POTUS beyond the ones i listed.

13090550, *Scotty voice* Dammit man!
Posted by lfresh, Sat Nov-05-16 01:25 AM

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
13089940, Be. Black.
Posted by double negative, Thu Nov-03-16 01:08 PM
i know you said "proven" but in the case of president perception is everything
13089944, are we sure about this?
Posted by Government Name, Thu Nov-03-16 01:10 PM
>but there hasn't
>been a precedent for being completely unqualified...yet.

there are sooo many safeguards in place that the country still runs with incompetent presidents
13089953, Good point.
Posted by Moonlit_Force, Thu Nov-03-16 01:24 PM
13089955, Reagan was prolly eating doo doo jellybeans his last 2 years in office
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Nov-03-16 01:26 PM
13090273, I Just Saw A Documentary On Regan's Last 2 Years In Office
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Fri Nov-04-16 10:10 AM
They were admitting that Regan had alzheimers and 90% of the time forgot where he was at or what he said the day before.

I'm like how in the hell did they let that shit fly without just letting him retire and let the vice-pres take over?

13089975, lol. it's reality now ain't it...
Posted by Trinity444, Thu Nov-03-16 01:37 PM
13089979, * Nods reluctantly *
Posted by Moonlit_Force, Thu Nov-03-16 01:41 PM
13090051, Real talk, this just might be the year everyone wises up to the fact that
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Nov-03-16 02:37 PM
the office of POTUS is damn near the equiv. to the Queen of England....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."
13090095, ^ so WOKE.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Nov-03-16 03:24 PM
no, not at all.

POTUS exercises more power than the QOE.
13090179, Twenty-fifth Amndment
Posted by handle, Thu Nov-03-16 08:06 PM
Section 1. In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.

Section 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

Section 3. Whenever the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties shall be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President.

Section 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.

Thereafter, when the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that no inability exists, he shall resume the powers and duties of his office unless the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive department or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit within four days to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office. Thereupon Congress shall decide the issue, assembling within forty-eight hours for that purpose if not in session. If the Congress, within twenty-one days after receipt of the latter written declaration, or, if Congress is not in session, within twenty-one days after Congress is required to assemble, determines by two-thirds vote of both Houses that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall continue to discharge the same as Acting President; otherwise, the President shall resume the powers and duties of his office.

---
So a president was in a coma then the VP would become P - but if he's mentally ill or something else then there'd be a crisis.
13090186, Andrew Jackson
Posted by exactopposite, Thu Nov-03-16 09:10 PM
> but there hasn't been a precedent for being completely unqualified

He also got all his buddies to be on his staff. They called it the Kitchen Cabinet
13090205, Sidenote: Can't wait to see the Tubman twenty dollar bills
Posted by Moonlit_Force, Fri Nov-04-16 05:34 AM
13090533, indeed nm
Posted by exactopposite, Fri Nov-04-16 09:05 PM
13090238, Record a rap album while in office
Posted by flipnile, Fri Nov-04-16 08:16 AM
13090284, Leave the presidential dog in the car while s/he runs into Starbucks
Posted by flipnile, Fri Nov-04-16 10:30 AM
13090298, Leave her old white husband for a younger Black guy
Posted by flipnile, Fri Nov-04-16 11:09 AM
13090581, We've had several presidents who had brain damage while in
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Sat Nov-05-16 02:23 PM
office.

Reagan and Woodrow Wilson come to mind.

Kennedy was probably heavily on pain killers.

13090680, What about Carter?
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Sun Nov-06-16 03:19 PM