Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIf I wanted to get Gender Warz poppin, I'd say....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13073505&mesg_id=13099387
13099387, If I wanted to get Gender Warz poppin, I'd say....
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Nov-29-16 11:51 AM
Issa Rae did a case study on how some sistas be fcuking up good relationships.

It's funny because the show started very Terry McMillian with good sisters dealing with not being able to find good men and having to deal with low motivated slackers and wanna be players but the show ended up in more Tyler Perry territory of sisters with impossible standards overlooking the good brother right under their noses.

Issa messed around and made a series that got simps all over twitter feeling empowered ("For every faithful black man that was taken for granted by his woman, Lawrence speaks for us!").

I was surprised how the series spoke to black male masculinity in a positive non-judgmental way. I found myself in an awkward conversation explaining to my wife that I didn't think a dude who had one gay experience in college and decided he didn't like it was gay. Ever sentence started with "I've never done anything like that but if a dude did..."

I also thought the little Jidenna storyline was super interesting because 1.) Jidenna wasn't a bad dude, he was actually trying to be nice and 2.) I've seen this scenario go down time and time again. I just pray my home girl ____ saw this and saw for herself that it might not be such a good idea to be making plans 6 months later on a first date or invite that dude to a function with a lot of couples.

Only Issa Rae or a sister could make such a self critical series like this (or use the word "Bitch" every other word). Folks would be mad if a dude or a white person made this. And that's okay.

People are talking a lot about this series because there is a lot to talk about.

Also Spotify got a playlist for the series music. tight.

>The first episode is streaming on HBO GO!
>
>I watched it and... yes! This and Atlanta on television at the
>same time is incredible.
>
>I really dug that first episode.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"