Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectCan't tell, might be a mix of both. She shouldda casted someone else
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13073505&mesg_id=13084008
13084008, Can't tell, might be a mix of both. She shouldda casted someone else
Posted by BigReg, Wed Oct-19-16 01:53 PM
>>I just think she's too hands on with the character
>
>Or is the character basically *her*? Something I wondered.

Like her friend Molly is as stereotypical as can be on paper; the 'all together' awesome black girl who can't find a man. But that character breathes on screen and the actress is able to make her not seem that.

What we basically have is Awkward Black Girl, take 2 as far as the Issa Ray character is concerned when it feels like it should be different; her being an asshole to her boyfriend and friend, etc.

The reason why I mentioned Woody Allen is in his middle of the road films where he's the main dude you could practically hear Allen (the writer) type out every word he's was trying to act on screen...the character was played only as vessel for a story as opposed to being a living breathing person.

Same here; Issa's got all the plotlines but when she pops in she doesn't feel like she belongs in that world...hence why people are like they don't feel like her and her bff are actually bff.

I think its less about her being a bad actress, per say, but her being too close to the material behind the scenes, ON TOP OF, her just playing an aspect of her personality(so she doesnt really have to ACT ACT) makes it seem off.