Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectif the police tell you to get your license and registration can u say no
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13071946
13071946, if the police tell you to get your license and registration can u say no
Posted by godleeluv, Wed Sep-21-16 08:40 AM
keep your hands up and explain u are scared to make sudden movements and ask them to get it for you?

I'm just trying to figure out what we can do to prevent being taken as a threat.

hands up helps but has failed so many...

... Oh, and i sing too!
https://m.facebook.com/jamelabullock
Www.reverbnation.com/jamela
13071948, I've always told them what I need to do, and asked if I can do it
Posted by flipnile, Wed Sep-21-16 08:46 AM
"Officer, my registration and insurance information is in my glove box. Is it okay for me to retrieve it?"

^ I had to say this to an officer a few times

Still no guarantee I won't get popped tho.

Once I got pulled over at about 3am and they hopped out of the squad car and walked up on me so quickly that I just put my hands up in the air. The cop gave me a funny look and I told him that I was kinda shook and didn't want there to be any misunderstandings. He looked kinda hurt, but he got it. This was back in like 04'
13071956, sadly we have to go through all this but you are right
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-21-16 08:57 AM
i put on the interior light, roll down the windows and put my bible on my lap.
13071957, ^^cosign alladat^^
Posted by BigJazz, Wed Sep-21-16 08:57 AM
i coulda typed this exact reply...
13071951, I think you have to comply
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Sep-21-16 08:52 AM
with the license thing once you're stopped but they can't search your car without permission.

either way, they should give you reason for stopping you.
13071952, Ideally you'd have them out and on yoru dashboard before they
Posted by Teknontheou, Wed Sep-21-16 08:52 AM
get to the car. But like was said above, sometimes they might run up on you too quickly for that.

The "best" move, I guess is to state each move in request form, like you mentioned.
13071958, if i get pulled over i'm not reaching for nothing til they ask smh
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-21-16 08:58 AM
A lot of movement is prolly gonna look like you stashing something.
13071983, I don't do that now.
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Sep-21-16 09:31 AM
I won't change my normal behavior. I haven't been asked for registration in forever. they just ask for my license.

I normally have that in my hand when they reach the window. I roll my window down enough to slide the license though and answer their questions.
13071998, damn, in nyc they want license, reg and ins card.
Posted by Cenario, Wed Sep-21-16 09:42 AM
my ins. is every 6 months and i forget to put the new card in. Once i handed a cop one from 2 years ago lol
13072033, hahaha
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Sep-21-16 10:11 AM
they stopped asking for alladat years ago in GA. they pull all of it up from their car, so they only need to see that you can legally drive unless you're getting a ticket.
13071963, you have to produce those upon command.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Sep-21-16 09:03 AM
failing to produce them can result in a criminal charge for resisting or obstructing.

failing to carry them w/you while driving can result in a criminal charge for unlicensed driving or something similar.

if they tell you to produce them try telling the cop where you have the documents and that you will be reaching for them as you were told.

that won't necessarily save you from being shot though. ask Philando Castile. well, i dunno if he told that cop that he was reaching for the documents the cop told him to produce. but he got shot after doing what the officer told him to do.
13071965, lol...if you tryin to get locked up...yeah...hell yeah....if u dont
Posted by ambient1, Wed Sep-21-16 09:06 AM
have either u gotta 20/80 chance of explainin your story and not getting jammed up

then again u a chic so its 40/60
13071971, I'm asking for the cuffs. Cuff me and put me in the cruiser
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Sep-21-16 09:18 AM
All my info is in a Manila envelope marked DWB. They can get that shit out of the glove box while I chill in the back seat honoring the ritual of putting black people in chains.
13072028, funny, not funny.
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Sep-21-16 10:08 AM
>All my info is in a Manila envelope marked DWB. They can get
>that shit out of the glove box while I chill in the back seat
>honoring the ritual of putting black people in chains.
13072051, I'm dead serious tho. I legit got that envelope. I've been to the station
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Sep-21-16 10:21 AM
I know that's a safer place than the street and for real it's clearly a ritual to white culture -- something it MUST do in order to validate itself and I'd rather stand with the chained than those doing the chaining.

And if they try to go Abner Louima on me well -- I guess at least two folks won't be getting home at the end of the night.
13072084, Sadly enough
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Sep-21-16 10:49 AM
>All my info is in a Manila envelope marked DWB.

having a folder like this readily available is a great idea. I can't co-sign the other stuff you said because asking to get put in handcuffs isn't a great look, but for folks in this thread, what do you have in this Driving While Black folder?
13072005, "I want a lawyer"
Posted by infin8, Wed Sep-21-16 09:46 AM
thass it.
13072013, not during a traffic stop.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Sep-21-16 09:53 AM
you don't have a right to have a lawyer present for police questioning during a traffic stop that's related to a traffic offense b/c you're not in police custody (though you are stopped by police - i know it's weird). you are only being briefly detained by police during a traffic stop and the detention is happening in public so none of the pressures of a traditional police custodial interrogation (like in a room in a police station) are present. so SCOTUS says you don't have a right to a lawyer in that moment.

basically, that dog won't hunt.

13072384, duly noted.
Posted by infin8, Wed Sep-21-16 04:05 PM
thank you.
13072035, i usually reach in the glove box, but will be announcing from now on
Posted by Riot, Wed Sep-21-16 10:12 AM
finna be ANNOUNCEMENTS and PROCLAMATIONS

and turning an old smartphone into a dashcam if I can freak it
13072037, do you think announcing it
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Sep-21-16 10:14 AM
will make a diff?
13072066, if i say i have to get it, and he says dont move, it will stay
Posted by Riot, Wed Sep-21-16 10:35 AM
in the box

if he's already got his hand on his piece and fire/fear in his eye, then god bless
13072282, yup
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Sep-21-16 01:52 PM
it can turn an easy situation bad quickly. we all just have to do what makes sense in that moment.
13072335, wait. wrong post.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Sep-21-16 02:48 PM
lol