Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectyou are being illogically defensive
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13071197&mesg_id=13073430
13073430, you are being illogically defensive
Posted by akon, Sun Sep-25-16 07:32 AM
i havent called any names- and neither can you move from me saying something is unrealistic (when even you admit that it is) to calling it stupid.
i dont play this semantics game where it becomes about 'your namecalling! or 'deflecting!' or whatever

im really not sure what your reading of the article is, its different from mine
blow is addressing the 'not vote' or 'protest vote' crowd.
its in the paragraph you mention,
he's addressing this qn and trying to reach these people, "What to say to young people, particularly young African-Americans, who have decided either not to vote in the forthcoming presidential election or to cast a protest vote for a third-party candidate who will most assuredly lose?

those are the people whom if i had an opportunity to, i would try and 'sway' to vote for HRC
or rather, do as Blow tries to do in the article; give them reasons why they should vote for HRC
especially since it sometimes feels as though people can only give reasons 'why not' to vote for HRC
and let them weigh pros and cons
absolutely nothing to do with that

the people who lean more leftward and rightward (and hence libertarian and whatever jill's party is - wiki says 'eco-social') are not about to be swayed.
that's not the focus.

>and then gets out a broad brush to paint any vote not for HRC
>as a protest

uhm, no
he says voting out of protest or not voting, in an election where the alternative option will essentially destroy america, is foolish
and i agree...
this is being pragmatic- history has shown this when bush won even though gore wouldve been the better choice
unless protest voters or the non-voters somehow dont think the stakes are high

anyway, we are going round in circles
i think blow is making a case for a vote for HRC because it is very much in the interest of his targetted audience
but at the end of the day, vote your conscience

>You're convinced voting for HRC is the realistic choice

unless you think the third party candidates have a chance at winning the presidential election, or you are a trump supporter,
voting for HRC *is* the only realistic choice
please explain how it otherwise isn't
i am really curious