Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAnybody catch Queen Sugar?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13065881
13065881, Anybody catch Queen Sugar?
Posted by Pamalama, Wed Sep-07-16 07:32 PM
I know there was conflict with Atlanta, but it was a pretty good episode. The scenes toward the end of the episode stood out the most to me.
13066153, Not Feeling it, willing to give it a shot, but not hopeful
Posted by placee_22, Thu Sep-08-16 11:40 AM
I may try to give it the ol' 3 episode test, but I'm not sure if I can.

I hate inauthentic dialogue and over the top stereotypes. 1st Episode was full of em.

I want to like it, but because this is set basically in my backyard...literally my backyard growing up was a cane field, I have certain expectations.
13067163, wow
Posted by astralblak, Sun Sep-11-16 02:20 PM
13067032, its fantastic
Posted by lfresh, Sat Sep-10-16 07:47 PM
its Ava so of course it is
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
13067033, Turned it off as soon as I saw the white boy in the bed.
Posted by Big Kuntry, Sat Sep-10-16 07:52 PM
13067041, I fought through it...that set my teeth on edge too...
Posted by Castro, Sat Sep-10-16 09:20 PM
especially it being that particular character and finding out who said White boy is later.

But its worth watching the whole thing.
13067164, It's fucn beautiful and that last scene in episode one broke me
Posted by astralblak, Sun Sep-11-16 02:21 PM
13067233, Re: that last scene in episode one broke me
Posted by Pamalama, Sun Sep-11-16 07:00 PM
Spoilers obviously...

From the time they took him to the hospital to the end, I'm crying my eyes out. Told myself I can't cry like this every Wednesday night.
13073501, Maan ol girl the weed plug, the oba/medicine woman, community activist,
Posted by Riot, Sun Sep-25-16 06:22 PM
And she boning a married whiteboy??

Dafuuuuh

Lucky for them she fine so ima watch 1-2 more eps
13073504, I'm not really impressed overall.
Posted by Hitokiri, Sun Sep-25-16 07:01 PM
It's beautifully shot, but... It's too dramatic for me. And as much as People applaud the music... I think the music is so heavy handed. Like when the sister out in California gets in an slams the door as Oddisee says "I wanna make nonstop profits" the music in the opening scene, the music used for Dad every time he's on screen.
Then like.. homie robbing a store while he's with his son? She get's the alert at the game and storms the court? It's too much.
13073540, can't front my interest has fallen through episodes 3 and 4
Posted by astralblak, Sun Sep-25-16 10:20 PM
i don't mind the melodrama, but there is a bit too much cookin', even though the portrayals are unique:

Nova a plug, looking to break the story of our criminal injustice system, and a healer; all while fucking with a white cop and grieving. but cotdamn i'm about her fits. she be looking swagged the fuck out in all the episodes

Charley hella rich, got the cheating (possibly rapist) husband, and trying to keep his/their brand strong, and starting to dig black cowboy dude, and also grieving

Ralph Angel always sneering and fucking up / in over his head. went back to his hype baby momma, and got a lil jones for his son's teacher. they also sneak in his sons POV at times

then there is Violet and Hollywood's relationship. I have no idea why she became upset with him.

and the sons lil' drama with his white girl, her mother, and the school

i understand the dialogue critique now too. it's not dynamic and natural. certain exchanges seem forced.

i also agree with Hitokiri that the music is a bit heavy handed.

I'm a fan though