Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectA message to prospective home/condo buyers
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13058783
13058783, A message to prospective home/condo buyers
Posted by BabyYoda, Thu Aug-18-16 03:10 PM
If or when you do buy a home or condo and it is managed by an HOA, make sure you do your homework on them before purchasing.

Right now, I am having an issue with my HOA over some bullshit involving my front yard.

If I ever sell this house, the next one will not involve an HOA nor mello-roos!
13058943, Aren't most condos part of an HOA by defailt?
Posted by flipnile, Fri Aug-19-16 08:14 AM
I agree with you. There aren't many HOAs here in the city, but from the horror stories I've read I'd rather stay away. HOAs seem like a tossup... some are great and bring value to the neighborhood, some are good and get services handled, some don't do much, and some have power-mongering members that use the HOA as a way to take out their personal issues on their neighbors.
13058952, I heard about an HOA president who no longer lived...
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Aug-19-16 08:40 AM
in the community who was still going hard on folks.

my wife has a friend who almost lost their home over some HOA nonsense.

Their basement kept flooding so they fixed it by changing the front yard landscaping or some shit. They didn't get it approved beforehand by the HOA and it turned into an all out war.
13059083, Yeah..
Posted by BabyYoda, Fri Aug-19-16 12:25 PM
Any improvements to landscaping must be approved by the HOA.

But, I am trying to figure out the difference between an architectural improvement and maintaining maintained of one's lawn and planters?

So, if you remove a dead plant, then they can get you for "changing" the landscape of your yard, however, they can also get you for not removing a dead plant since you are required to maintain your yard and get rid of all dead plants.

The damned if you do and damned if you don't thing is what passes me off.
13059081, I think so
Posted by BabyYoda, Fri Aug-19-16 12:20 PM
I messed up by not doing my homework. I take issue with people who get to decide what is deemed acceptable or not when it is you who have to care for your property.

I want my property to maintain its value as well as increase in value like any other homeowner, but I do not want to deal with people who are super picky.

An issue was brought to my attention and I addressed it. But, apparently it was not good enough so I have to go to a hearing. It sucks!!