Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI'm not disagreeing with you, BUT can I caveat this?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13049018&mesg_id=13049432
13049432, I'm not disagreeing with you, BUT can I caveat this?
Posted by astralblak, Tue Jul-26-16 11:26 PM
one does not discover Blackness, even if they grew up around white folk, or are mixed. it is an almost imbedded part of their social and racial imaginary, I would say that it's almost more reflexive than those who grew up in predominately Black neighborhoods...

yet they are more likely to have an antagonistic relationship with it

Blackness is something they (some one like Jessica Williams) are going to wrestle with in ways that are no more valid or invalid then normalized Black (Crissle)

the "woke" aspect, in regards to understanding how blackness functions in society, or the cultural signifiers, or the historical context and genealogy of it def can be discovered, but it's something we all discover and continuously "discover" and push and pull to define within ourselves, families, love interest, and broader community(ies)

i think to say they discover it, inversely says in some way that they really aren't Black. I know that's not what you mean, but that sentiment breathes within the seems of that statement. that Blackness they share/express, woke Blackness in particular, is a garment they put on and take off.

I sure hope they don't, but i feel you

I'd add that one woman who does the buzzfeed joints and black hair thingihmuhjig to the list. she also married a white dude

but honestly give me them over Umar or Tariq any day