Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectmy honest review...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13042357&mesg_id=13042520
13042520, my honest review...
Posted by rorschach, Sun Jul-10-16 04:28 PM
Jamal Bryant has this thing he does with sermons now where he'll start off with his interpretation of a celebrity or something trending in pop culture in order to pivot and go off on a tangent towards the Word.

The Famous video interpretation is interesting. There's a lot you could read into that video and I didn't mind Bryant's interpretation...especially the parts where he mentioned the juxtaposition of the people and how Kim was posed in comparison to everyone else.

The sermon falls apart a little bit when he pairs this with John 5. It's not The Word that's the problem but the fact that Jamal coasted through this part in the same way he tends to do when talking about pop culture. He basically preached his stock sermon for his stock crowd (churchy Black women) and I don't think his actual word was dense when compared to his lengthy breakdown of the Famous video. He could've done this sermon without the Famous parallel.

My biggest gripe is the lack of Bible. He says he's in John 5 but he doesn't give that nearly enough time.

And the altar call is...well an altar call. I really want to see a pastor explain that the altar is merely a step, a catalyst to make changes rather than leading people to think and feel that this is 'the change' by itself.

There's a little something here but I still have to favor the sermons where Jamal Bryant doesn't go for the pop culture stuff and just comes straight to the point.
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------