Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectthoughts
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13040571&mesg_id=13062180
13062180, thoughts
Posted by astralblak, Fri Aug-26-16 08:04 PM
it's good, but leaves so much to be desired; and I am not in the ChannelOrange is masterpiece clan, even though it def has left it's cultural mark.

i find the vocal effects to be one of the most interesting aspects of Blond. Because Frank's voice has always been weak, (yet endearingly vulnerable) the effects really add a dimension of futurity to his lovelorn, aloof, poet of songs, characterization.

his lyrics still convey great imagery and emotion, but they sit idle on so much of the songs because of the lack of low end and aimlessness

it feels his relationship with James Blake (and the unending influence of 3stacks: which has its good and bad) has gave Ocean the aura that going the "alt" route is somehow more arty and honest

yet it's the songs that are rooted in muddy mixes, sedated pop, Blackness, and his queerness that are the best:
"Nike"
"Self Control"
"Night" all of it, just greatness
"Close to You" my favorite, why the fuck is it so short!
"Futura Free"

and obvi "Solo", which theeraser rightly said above, for as dope as it is, doesn't really fit, BUT conceptually it does. it's just the rapping is the hypest thing on the whole record, and it kinda stand out like a sore thumb, lol

much of these "balllads"/song poems need the love of Kaytranda, FlyLo, Metro, Mono/Poly on the low end. the ingredients are there, they just need to be dropped in that fish fry

the critics who will applaud and celebrate it like the best shit since sliced bread gunna be OD annoying, but yeah, whatevs, word