Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectIsn't the idea behind banning gay marriage that it will
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13036082&mesg_id=13036447
13036447, Isn't the idea behind banning gay marriage that it will
Posted by Mr. ManC, Tue Jun-21-16 03:24 PM
somehow effect the culture?

Like, if you still think gay people will want to be together, then what is the energy behind banning gay marriage?

An assault weapons ban will effect the culture. For someone to not have access to the weapon stops short the fantasy of carrying out the rampage they would otherwise only be able to carry out in video games. It is the same principle behind the death penalty, and that the threat of capital punishment is enough to help dissuade people from breaking the law to that extent of that verdict levied against them.

damn, but the more I am typing, the more I'm making your argument.....gay marriage shouldn't be banned, the death penalty should be outlawed....hmm....and assault weapons shouldn't be in the hands of civilians.

I guess it is because one is an attempt to legislate something innate to a person, and the other is gunz at WalMart. Yeah, let's ban commodities, not non-heteronormative oddities.