Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWhat will banning Assault Weapons achieve if the Culture doesn't change?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13036082&mesg_id=13036082
13036082, What will banning Assault Weapons achieve if the Culture doesn't change?
Posted by Case_One, Tue Jun-21-16 09:52 AM
And when I say Culture, I'm talking about the promotion of Gun Violence in all forms of entertainment - especially in movies and video games? What will banning any weapon do if the country is obsessed with using and promoting guns (all types) as the primary source / solution for winning or stopping a threat? If the gun is considered the only equalizer then what will change?

Also, more people die from handguns than assault weapons. It's just the magnitude of one single event (mass shooting by one person) that captures the real horror the gun crazed culture.

ADDED: If the culture glorifies violence, then people will seek out violent means to solve problems or achieve goals of any kind. To that point, if a person is bent on causing mass destruction then banning the assault weapons will not mitigate that goal. People that want to cause mass destruction don value human life and that's what our entertainment culture promotes - the marginalization and devaluing of human life. And until our culture puts a premium on human life then nothing will really change long-term. IMO.

If the government bans Assault Weapons and does not ban the use of these weapons in entertainment then, in my opinion, the ban is a fake solution that's being promoted a means to appease the masses reaction to horrible events.

I say all forms of guns in movies except for historical material like war movies or movies based on true events in conjunction with banning assault weapons.

Just my opinion. How do you feel?