Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectmillennial meander?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13021567&mesg_id=13051445
13051445, millennial meander?
Posted by imcvspl, Sun Jul-31-16 11:40 PM
>i like books to have some sort of plotline, and a sense of
>direction and purpose
>satin island didn't-

Out of curiosity what made you pick it up in the first place? I picked it up because i wanted to know where 'the project' was heading.... lol jokes on me.

>it really was just a frustrating read
>snatches of good sentences and phrases in the midst of what
>read like muddled journal entries trying too hard to be
>obscure or interesting (ugh)

I don't remember the exact place where it hit me but I know it was early enough when I looked at where I was at in the book and looked at how many pages were left and realized, there's no fucking way this is going to go anywhere good.

>(not as bad as remainders - remainders was godawful!)
>
>the character U- really? anthropologist?
>and the best he could come up with was a rehash of the cargo
>cults?
>i dont even know what purpose the other characters served -
>they didnt add anything
>or the 'project' that was not described or...
>
>ugh.
>im done with tom mccarthy tbh

If I'm honest I still like the premise of it, shit I still think about it, but not for the writing of the actual book, just the thought pattern. It plays into my work though which is another reason I probably picked it up. But at the end of the day it just wasn't a good book.

BUT!!

At the same time I could see myself not being the audience of it. Like the characterization the prose etc all screams lofty ambivalence of the millennial age to me and I have a feeling it will stick to those eyes more than my own. I'm trying to get some of them I trust to go in on it. I've seen them praise meatlessness like it before and in a way that I can almost understand/respect where they're coming from even if I don't agree.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."