Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYou kinda spoiled it for me
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13021567&mesg_id=13043388
13043388, You kinda spoiled it for me
Posted by imcvspl, Wed Jul-13-16 12:15 AM
I had come back in this post and saw the subject then hit the back button.

technically his claim has to be that Baise is the author not the narrator though right? I mean it's a first person narrative, in all time periods.

That said *spoilers*

he either spills the beans or slips up on page 257

"I don't understand Mama Lara. If we changed the future, how come I'm still here? How come you look the same in 2013 that you did in 1985? Say something. ****Why would my mama and daddy still have me if we changed the future?**** It just doesn't make sense."

Two sentences later she calls *him* City.

HAving gotten spoiled I immediately read that as City is Baize in some weird overlap of time thing. But I don't know.

Baize as the author I can buy. Trying to over complicate it beyond that is a bit too much for me.

Really enjoyed the prose, and City and Baize as characters. There are ome amazing scenes in it as well. But if I'm being me there's something off that just keeps me from saying it was great. It's partially that I don't think he got a full grasp of his time, or at the least wasn't able to bring it all together. Meaning there's a complete loop that could have been made which would have been awesome, but the whole blank pages and keep on writing felt almost like a cop out. Then I just don't think he handled violence too well, except for the kick in the back. There's some serious violence that happens in the book, and it just sort of happnes. With a character like City I'd have expected more to be sai about those acts. It felt like there were the start of some really great other characters but none of them really became anything more than anecdotes. Even Shalaya.

Again I still think it is really good, but I was waiting for an aha moment that never really came.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."