Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMy list for the Summer:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13021567&mesg_id=13035862
13035862, My list for the Summer:
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jun-20-16 04:12 PM
Already read:

Kanye West Owes Me $300 - Jensen Karp. Memoir of LA rapper Hot Karl and his attempts at **almost** making it big in the late '90s/early '00s. Interesting look at the state of the music industry in the days that the immediately preceded the Napster phenomenon, back when artist development was still a thing.

Ready Player One - Ernest Cline. I can see why Spielberg is making a movie out of this. Book was entertaining enough, though it took about 100 pages to get going. Already feels sort of dated though. And I'm beyond sick of '80s nostalgia.

The Damsel - Richard Stark aka Donald Westlake. Stark's "Parker" series kicks 20 tons of ass. This "Alan Grofeld series" spin-off was light and not nearly as engaging. The overall humor of the book comes across as extremely dated.

Now reading:

Prayers For Rain - Dennis Lehane. Generally love his Mackenzie and Gennaro series. About 200 pages into this. Very good so far.

Rest of reading list so far:

All Involved - Ryan Gattis
The Alienist - Caleb Carr
Black Money/Sleeping Beauty - both by Ross McDonald
Pet Sematary - Stephen King
Savage Season - Joe Lansdale