Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI think all 3 of the above sentiments are at play (case, CT and yours)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13020801&mesg_id=13021220
13021220, I think all 3 of the above sentiments are at play (case, CT and yours)
Posted by auragin_boi, Fri May-13-16 01:08 PM
But this is simply a belief:

>That the whole point of human existence is for all of us to
>find our way back to God, to realize that what he intends us
>to be, we already are. Pain, suffering and evil are just means
>to rush us to this understanding, to motivate us to go above
>the suffering and turmoil of human life and unite ourselves
>with the Divine, and by that eliminating our pain, eliminating
>all the evil.

Then what of those that never 'find their way back'? I think this belief is short sighted and a simplistic way for man to rationalize something they can't grasp. Human nature is erroneous and given lives without boundary, we'd swiftly delve into self destruction. I think some of the philosophies and rules that have developed over time were instituted to limit (or at least slow) man's self destructive nature. While it's admirable to aspire to a "Godly" lifestyle, it doesn't guarantee a prolong life on Earth nor does it stave off death.

Given any Deity, humans must be like infant children, slowly and gradually learning where we need to be in the grand context of existence. For example; sometimes it takes for a parent to let a child touch the outside of a hot oven for them to understand that they shouldn't do it. You can tell them 50-11 times but they need to know out of curiosity. Humans needed to see the consequences of certain things in order for certain rules to be put in place (hence the bible and it's influences on societal structure/beliefs).

This is what builds our moral compass in many instances.

>To shake us out of our collective slumber and reclaim our
>divine birthrights.
>
>That's INTENSE, of course. It makes more sense at times when
>life really hurts. But yeah that's how I've seen the idea of a
>loving God giving us evil and pain justified (with varying
>phrasing)
>
>It seems a little unfair though. But I see how that arguments
>make the quest for God a much more urgent matter than how must
>of us might treat it, by the occasional prayer or meditation -
>all the while probably not staying bout it like that outside
>of church or the yoga mat.

I think it's naïve for any human to speak for the intent of God/a God. How could one possibly fathom the grand scheme from that level of comprehension when our universal scope is so miniscule and limited?

I believe all religion is a tool designed to structure humanity. It teaches rules, limits, consequence and keeps most of us inline with a promise of a better tomorrow. Kinda like how I tell my kids, "Clean your room and be nice to your siblings or you won't get dessert." But they can still earn dessert the NEXT day if they follow the rules. The Bible/any religious text isn't exhaustive and cannot speak to the intent will or grand design of existence.

It could all be for naught for all we know. We could just 'exist' and in the end, there aren't any consequences and we just 'start over'.

I believe there is a creator and I believe there was purpose in the creation. I just don't think anyone who's ever been on Earth outside of the first of our species (and even then, maybe not even them) has any significant insight on that purpose.

In the end, I think people just need to do what feels right to them and hope that it pays off once we learn where we go after this life.

Hell and Heaven both seem a lil far fetched. I think the ride continues and perception is what will guide it...kinda like life on Earth.

Eh...just my lunchtime rant. lol