Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectJon Stewart on The Axe Files. Absolute must watch.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13018880
13018880, Jon Stewart on The Axe Files. Absolute must watch.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-10-16 11:25 AM
http://www.vox.com/2016/5/9/11645418/jon-stewart-donald-trump

The headline is about his Donald Trump comments, obviously-- but the entire interview is intelligent, funny, and rich.
13018987, Watching it now nm
Posted by DVS, Tue May-10-16 01:12 PM
13019043, god, i miss him
Posted by akon, Tue May-10-16 01:53 PM
its just not the same anymore
13019047, i wish David Axelrod would just let this dude speak. Fock nm
Posted by DVS, Tue May-10-16 01:59 PM
13019180, what about the awkward louie question at the end tho?!
Posted by now or never, Tue May-10-16 04:38 PM
that was...hilarious?

i have a feeling that'll get some attention once the interview makes the rounds
being that those accusations have been out there for a while
and it kind of felt like the kid asking it knew what he was doing
-----
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. (c) HL Mencken or some other motherfucker.
13019275, I doubt that gets traction.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-10-16 08:47 PM
Stewart's never been an Internet guy, and although he's known Louie forever, he hasn't probably spent considerable time with or around Louie in a long while, so I genuinely believed him-- especially the way he was trying to search for what the accusation even was at the end, and the kid had to keep correcting him.

I was actually pretty relieved by how Stewart replied. He listened, took time to think, but genuinely didn't know how to reply without actually knowing more.

Not to mention that the Louie rumors haven't picked up mainstream media traction to date. I sort of doubt this kid is what pushes those rumors onto CNN.

You could tell Axelrod was *pissed* by the question though, lmao.
13020239, this isn't traction, but jezebel's pretty shameless
Posted by now or never, Thu May-12-16 10:41 AM
http://jezebel.com/jon-stewart-doesnt-like-being-asked-about-louis-c-k-s-a-1776125991
-----
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. (c) HL Mencken or some other motherfucker.
13019288, Tell me about this Louie thing.
Posted by Brew, Tue May-10-16 09:26 PM
I can't watch right now but am curious.
13019292, Cliffs Notes:
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-10-16 10:01 PM
Last question of the night comes from a kid who basically asks Jon Stewart why he didn't ask Louie in his final interview about the sexual impropriety allegations that comics like Jen Kirkman have lobbed at him via Twitter, podcasts, and a Gawker piece. Stewart looks pretty surprised and he asks back some questions, more or less saying, "What is this now?" He hears it's a Gawker and Twitter thing, and Stewart more or less says he's known Louie a long time and he's never heard about this personally. The kid keeps leaning on him and Axelrod wraps it up.
13019930, for such a great interview and Q&A is was a shitty question to end on
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed May-11-16 04:05 PM
i kind of wish they would have took one more question
13020028, Axelrod def. shouldn't have let JS get blindsided like that.
Posted by DunDaDa, Wed May-11-16 06:20 PM
that horrible exchange made for an awful ending to a enlightening discussion.
13019216, this is so fucking good
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue May-10-16 05:44 PM
loved his breakdown of the Wilmore thing, and just about everything else so far. And I'm only 25 minutes in
13019227, he's getting under Axelrod's skin. i love it
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue May-10-16 06:16 PM
13019270, "This is how Jews make love."
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue May-10-16 08:43 PM
I roared with laughter at that line.

Stewart must be one of the most difficult interviews out there, because he has absolutely zero tolerance for any question that doesn't interest him, and he can be so cutting and dismissive with his responses. Those responses are always unflinchingly witty, and he's usually dismissive for a reason (i.e. bad or hackneyed question), but still, goddamn, I wouldn't want to interview him.
13019308, Hes such a master at seeing/slicing through bullshit
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue May-10-16 11:08 PM
I would have loved to have seen that debate he had with Obama regarding veterans. It's the second time I've heard him talk about it.

Axe was clearly getting uncomfortable with Jon talking about just HOW much of a cesspool Washington is. Especially since I'm sure Axelrod considers him somewhat of an ally. Axe pretty much countered by going into politician talking point mode which only worked to highlight Jon's points. And Jon doesn't need to hold is tongue as much now that he doesn't have to worry about people not wanting to do his show.

But I do feel like he had to stop himself somewhat, which is why he made the Jew joke lol

>but still, goddamn, I
>wouldn't want to interview him.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'd just wind up feeling Luke a vapid fraud
13019299, watched this earlier....extremely good shit
Posted by LAbeathustla, Tue May-10-16 10:31 PM
especially him calling out the media for basically not calling trump supporters fucking lunatics...
13019304, i thought the shit in the middle on the dems was even better
Posted by rob, Tue May-10-16 10:50 PM
especially axelrod kinda taking it personally.

i don't think people really are woke to what's going to happen these next few months.

the democratic party is so focused on not losing campaigns that they're in this downward spiral of not governing and, somehow, not winning elections too.

ain't shit happened in years that didn't come from obama or the courts.

people are damn near gloating at the republicans kinda tearing themselves apart, but there's NO CHANCE the dems are going to take advantage of that. they're not positioned to contest for the vast majority of offices.

there's NOTHING on the table in terms of democratic legislative priorities or a vision for this country. literally nothing. the platform is "we aren't going to be able to replace or fix the broken shit, but at least we can keep them from throwing it away."

and there's a very real chance they're going going to lose all the contested elections in the senate, in the few available governor spots, and even (somehow) for president.

13019483, not tryna sound like a fanatic, or be "one of those guys" but
Posted by Mr. ManC, Wed May-11-16 09:46 AM
progressive Jon Stewart goes to a politics based lecture/interview, with the backdrop of this highly engaged primary season, AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO of which one of their alums is a current Presidential candidate, and his name isn't mentioned ONCE?

Am I the only one that found that odd that Sanders wasn't really brought up?

The BIGGER thing is I noticed the other day how much I missed Jon not being a narrative cause I KNOW he would have called out the DNC on their bullshit...so for him to "lose" his platform, and ultimately feel stifled at present feels very odd, especially with the timing of his exit right before the primary season heated up.
13019758, i was a bit surprised that we didn't see him mentioned
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed May-11-16 01:38 PM
not so much axelrod, but in one of the student questions.

could be it was agreed upon they wouldn't go there.
13019938, there were allusions, but again, axelrod doesn't care about governance
Posted by rob, Wed May-11-16 04:11 PM
so why would he be bringing up anything recent with obama? that might not even be on his radar.
13019946, nah i was talking about Bernie
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed May-11-16 04:17 PM
He went to the University of Chicago

Seemed strange he wasn't brought up at all
13020011, oh my bad.
Posted by rob, Wed May-11-16 05:44 PM
i doubt either takes bernie seriously. i wonder what stewart's take would be if he were doing a program every night.
13020035, but that's my point.
Posted by Mr. ManC, Wed May-11-16 06:43 PM
Jon DOES like Bernie. He thinks he is a sane candidate.

https://youtu.be/HnaqrepHrtc

He kept alluding to corruption in Washington, and Trump, and Hillary, AND AT THE U OF CHICAGO, you would think either Jon or a student would have at least asked his thoughts. Jon would have been all over this on TDS, so for him to exit his show AND appear silenced while a civilian is really....interesting, and disappointing.
13020045, that was a year ago. most people take bernie seriously now.
Posted by rob, Wed May-11-16 07:29 PM
he spent most of that segment offering a similar criticism to hillary as he did in the axelrod interview.

but if we're talking about bernie himself...just like his take on trump wouldn't be the same, i doubt he has the same reaction to bernie the actual candidate after the primary slog.

bernie's not going to be a factor in this race and imo jon's too pragmatic to ignore that basic reality.

he might admire bernie, but seems to go just as hard on people he respects. i don't think he'd give bernie the wilmore treatment. i think he'd hit those cracks.
13020064, He's probably also just not trying to endorse anyone.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed May-11-16 08:20 PM
I'm sure he finds both candidates flawed in their own ways and didn't feel like traveling down that rabbit hole. (Also, at this point, pending a miracle, the nominee *will* be Hillary, and Axelrod only had 45 minutes or so.)
13020394, I don't know, it came across more weird to me,
Posted by Mr. ManC, Thu May-12-16 12:16 PM
almost like they were instructed specifically NOT to talk about Bernie. I sensed it in Jon's tension once Hillary was brought up. Like "why do I have to talk about her, and not about him".

And NO STUDENT brought up Bernie Sanders at all? When you have a chance to ask Jon Stewart his thoughts on this insane primary season? I dunno, it came across as off limits.
13019503, lmao dude is hilarious
Posted by naame, Wed May-11-16 09:58 AM
their back and forth is great
13019768, LOVED THIS
Posted by Firecracker, Wed May-11-16 01:45 PM

He da best

13020068, "nobody ever says to politicians-Where's the Line"(c)Jon Stewart
Posted by DJ007, Wed May-11-16 08:35 PM
Yesssssssss Jon Stewart!
Posted by handle, Thu May-12-16 11:35 AM
So Republicans are doing as much as possible to protect the rich and fuck the poor.

and

Democrats are making too much paperwork to fill out??

Totally EQUAL!!!

13020401, It was more of a media critique and not a political critque
Posted by BigReg, Thu May-12-16 12:21 PM
and he's right; its not as if the Trump show is only syndicated on Fox.

He did say pointedly that the republican's sole job in government today is to stall government, and that the democrats...agree with them or not...are the only group trying.
13020436, where in the interview does he say "BOTH SIDES ARE EQUALLY TO BLAME"
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu May-12-16 12:40 PM
And if he is, he should go hard(er) on Dems, and the non-Fox media and hold them to higher standards. they need to do better.
13020405, meh, it got interesting when he flipped into interviewer mode on Axe
Posted by bentagain, Thu May-12-16 12:26 PM
definitely some good moments

but +1 hour of Trump content = waste of time IMO

totally deflected from any Dem critiques

obvious intent with Axe as the interviewer

this would have been great if the roles were reversed.
13020477, He just wont SHUT UP!
Posted by 13Rose, Thu May-12-16 01:14 PM
Come on AXELROD!!!!!!
13020642, the worst is when he'd try to be funny
Posted by Mynoriti, Thu May-12-16 03:27 PM
with some weird intrusive timing. i can't even describe it. it was just bad
13020757, at times, the absence of laughter was funnier than the joke.
Posted by DunDaDa, Thu May-12-16 07:17 PM
>with some weird intrusive timing. i can't even describe it.
>it was just bad

that's how bad it was.
13020817, lol true
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri May-13-16 04:57 AM