Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectThe GHG emissions are a subtler issue than you think, but no.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12998123&mesg_id=13000158
13000158, The GHG emissions are a subtler issue than you think, but no.
Posted by stravinskian, Thu Apr-07-16 08:13 AM

No, I do not think, not have I ever thought, that natural gas, fracked or otherwise, is a serious way to reduce GHG emissions. But that's not what Klein was arguing.

She said fracking cannot "be made safe", as in, it inevitably poisons the ground water. That is not only untrue, it's another one of those standard industry strawmen that's so untrue that having it out there makes the real environmentalist case harder.

>Or perhaps you think it's unproblematic that 40 registered
>lobbyists for the Clinton campaign have worked with Chevron,
>ExxonMobil, and other fossil fuel companies to weaken carbon
>emission regulations. Are you saying the fossil fuel industry
>doesn't get anything in return for its lobbying and campaign
>contributions?

And no, I did not say that either (this, by the way, is the McCarthyist tactic that Barney Frank keeps accusing the Bernie Bros of using).

But I'd be happy to do so now. Even if that assertion is true (I always hesitate to take your numbers at face value, considering that they bubble up from the most unhinged end of the anti Hillary movement), it doesn't bother me in the slightest. People work for lots of organizations in their lifetimes. When there isn't a quid pro quo, there isn't a quid pro quo.