Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectthe idea of a faceless oppressor plays right into the oppressor's hands
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12991273&mesg_id=12992548
12992548, the idea of a faceless oppressor plays right into the oppressor's hands
Posted by Basaglia, Wed Mar-23-16 02:34 PM

the kid is a victim of white supremacy (the oppressor, meaning all of us who collectively let it go unchallenged day after day after day after day...the SMALLEST little things we let go unchecked, because, well...we all have lives) just as much as the woman who wrote that piece. the idea of "the oppressor" takes so much responsibility off of all us who tolerate global white supremacy that i find it laughable when people refer to it.

This whole thing makes me think of Toni Morrison's comments on racism and how it impacts whites:

"There’s something distorted about the psyche. It’s a huge waste and it's a corruption and a distortion. It’s like…its a profound neurosis…and…nobody examines for what it is. It feels crazy…it is crazy and it leaves…It has just as much a deleterious effect on white people and possibly equal as it does Black people."

this kid (he's a kid, 21 is a kid to me) thought this was FUNNY and the very idea of consequence was FUNNY. the vast majority of non-white males just don't have that social conditioning that would even allow us to conjure up such a foolish thought.

so, yeah, i feel SAD for that kid, but i completely understand why this woman wrote the piece. i wish she had chosen the slant of how white supremacy has negatively impacted dude's life in a counterintuitive way (because they prolly would have let a black person off with a warning, KNOWING the public outcry from americans would be a fraction of what it is for this guy).