Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectDear Black America, Please Stop Giving Beyonce A Pass On “Formation"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12978820
12978820, Dear Black America, Please Stop Giving Beyonce A Pass On “Formation"
Posted by DavidHasselhoff, Thu Feb-25-16 01:23 PM
http://thehigherlearning.com/2016/02/19/dear-black-america-please-stop-giving-beyonce-a-pass-on-formation/

12978822, I hate hate these sort of pieces. Hate.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Feb-25-16 01:27 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
12978824, why? im interested in hearing your beef w it
Posted by _deacon_, Thu Feb-25-16 01:29 PM
12979493, Let me run it down.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Feb-26-16 01:51 PM
1. Don't instruct me how I should feel about art.
2. When did Beyonce claim this is a political statement?
3. How you going to tell other people how to do their art. Either you dig it or you don't. Don't tell an artist or an entertainer what there art should be.
4. How you going to be dismissive of what you state they'be done for the moment. Did a documentary, bail BLM protesters out of jail and donated 1.5M to BLM, that all sounds pretty substantial and I gaurantee more than what the writer has done.
5. And how are you going to diss for being late to the party then list all she had done before the superbowl?
6. How you going to diss two lines of the song because it "conveniently glosses over the history of colorism that’s baked into Creole identity." How was she suppose to address all that in two lines of a song? One of the dumber critiques in this piece.
7. And the whole thing about Beyonce using the footage without permission is just wrong. I would have fact checked that before publishing because they got too many lawyers to do something so stupid.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/06/beyonce-formation-music-video-that-beat

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"
12978827, i'm curious to know what their point is but not curious enough to read all that
Posted by BigJazz, Thu Feb-25-16 01:31 PM

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...
12978832, Yeah, I didn't read the whole thing, but it started off on convenience
Posted by bentagain, Thu Feb-25-16 01:39 PM
now that black activism is in the headlines, all of the sudden she's 'conscious', etc...

and TBH, I would expect ALOT of people have had an awakening since BLM became active

the rest, again, I didn't read the whole thing

started to sound like a dissertation on the historical context of some of the language, imagery, etc...

ehh

we know what she meant w/o the history lesson

I actually expected more of this post K.

I am interested in the hit dogs, but the think pieces...yawn...miss me with that
12978834, neither the song nor video are as 'political' as ppl said.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Feb-25-16 01:42 PM
and the video has problematic politics.

..that's basically it.
12978830, yup.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Feb-25-16 01:37 PM
12978842, it's Beyonce, not Angela Davis or Assatta Shakur
Posted by BigJazz, Thu Feb-25-16 01:52 PM
what she did wasn't revolutionary but damn. give her credit for saying SOMETHING.

i heard a story about somebody asking michael jordan to speak out in favor of a democrat running for office against a racist republican in north carolina where MJ is held in high regard. they said jordan refused and explained the refusal by saying something about republicans buying sneakers too.

not sure how true the story is but i believed it (still do, even though i haven't properly fact-checked it) because it seems like some shit he would say/do.

anyway

we live in a time where the jordans of the world have all these eyes on them and they have the chance to influence millions and they don't say or do anything.

beyonce said something. she did something. and for me that counts for something...

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...
12978843, she gets a gold star for trying.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Feb-25-16 01:53 PM
12979393, ^
Posted by flipnile, Fri Feb-26-16 11:33 AM
12978850, She repped Panthers at the Super Bowl off that song
Posted by GOMEZ, Thu Feb-25-16 02:04 PM
That's not insignificant. I'm not really the type to question when someone gets on board with a movement like BLM. Better late than never.

The craziest and most significant thing about the whole thing to me is the fact that the movement is big enough that an artist like Beyonce can get on board and show support in a public space, and still get paid off of it. BLM/Civil Rights is at a point in this country where the biggest pop stars can show public support. For better or worse it's going mainstream, which has to be the ultimate goal.

The writer can pick Formation apart all he wants, and as a song/video, it's not perfect, but sheeit... put it in context and look at the big picture.
12978854, essentially: "WE ARE NOT A MONOLITH"
Posted by double negative, Thu Feb-25-16 02:16 PM
12978869, This kind of song analysis is the dumbest shit
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Thu Feb-25-16 02:36 PM
The think-piecer wants to inject what they want into the song. Write your own damn song if you want to talk about something else.

This part is especially dumb. Beyonce has one simple line about her heritage. This think-piecer instead wishes she squeezed a dissertation about her heritage into a 4 minute song.
Dude says it "....conveniently glosses over the history of colorism..." lol. Of course it does. It's a song not a conference presentation.

“My daddy Alabama, Momma Louisiana / You mix that negro with that Creole make a Texas bama”

→ Beyoncé reppin’ her Southern roots while alluding to a bit of black history (“bama” was a slang term used to describe working class blacks during the Great Migration) — I can dig it. However, this section also conveniently glosses over the history of colorism that’s baked into Creole identity. Here’s a great explanation from Yaba Blay, a black writer and professor from New Orleans:

“Having grown up black-Black (read: dark-skinned) in colorstruck New Awlins, hearing someone, particularly a woman, make a distinction between Creole and “Negro” is deeply triggering. This isn’t just for me but for many New Orleanians.

For generations, Creoles—people descended from a cultural/racial mixture of African, French, Spanish and/or Native American people—have distinguished themselves racially from “regular Negroes.” In New Orleans, phenotype—namely “pretty color and good hair”—translates to (relative) power.

In this context, people who are light skinned, with non-kinky hair and the ability to claim a Creole heritage have had access to educational, occupational, social and political opportunities that darker skinned, kinkier-haired, non-Creole folks have been denied. In many ways, among those of us who are not Creole and whose skin is dark brown, the claiming of a Creole identity is read as rejection. And I’m not just talking about history books or critical race theory. I’m talking about on-the-ground, real-life experiences.”
12978874, There are two types of people in this world...
Posted by Anonymous, Thu Feb-25-16 02:39 PM
And you can use this song as the split.
12978875, Anything helps. We aren't playing for 'keeping it real' points
Posted by BigReg, Thu Feb-25-16 02:40 PM
Even if the shit is a callous cash grab, it gets the message out there so who gives a fuck.

Not like there hasn't been some revolutionaries out who first joined up because of someone they were dating/had a crush on
12979032, I'll just leave this here...
Posted by Anonymous, Thu Feb-25-16 06:22 PM
http://youtu.be/iU_A2FzcuQ0

Your welcome
12979044, cliff notes version: "ppl getting tired of B's bad bitch persona"
Posted by TRENDone, Thu Feb-25-16 07:06 PM
12979164, she gets props for taken a stand, though the song
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Thu Feb-25-16 10:08 PM
was weak sauce IMO. video was cool. i think if she made a concept all the way through then it would seem like something even more. we shall see, but i expected this because Hollywood and that industry is so racist and it happens to everybody eventually.

12979201, smh... It's baffling how much people are putting on this song
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Fri Feb-26-16 12:07 AM
and video..

I guess its a statement to how void current music is of real socio/political commentary that they are acting like Beyoncé is friggin Fela Kuti because of one song...a video...and some costumes on some back up dancers...

People are honestly just stupid right now....

it's Beyoncé.... really??

I don't get it...

the imagery in the video isn't super powerful...it's a clever commentary..it's effective.... but I mean it's not a Public Enemy or NWA video...

She's saying I'm Black...and Black people are getting fukked with right now... She's not even saying it in a mean way...lol..

in the context of Black social commentary in the Arts..... I mean it was Beyoncé... it was Beyoncé's version of that, and it was cool....the song bangs....

People who have a problem with that..honestly...... they suspect to me. You got another agenda going on if yo azz got to act like Beyoncé or what she's saying is threat to anything..

over analyzing Beyoncé's lyrics is just too much...her lyrics aren't supposed to be deep or subliminal or controversial ...she not even coherent sometimes... I mean I'm dissing her, but her shit ain't supposed to warrant linguistic analysis...lol...

12979221, She saluted the Black Panthers at the Super Bowl
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Fri Feb-26-16 02:16 AM
AT THE DAMN SUPER BOWL....im not a big fan of hers but she gets much respect for that
12979384, when ppl said B would get more backlash than kendrick
Posted by Riot, Fri Feb-26-16 11:25 AM
I thought they were exaggerating

I guess somebody would take shots no matter what direction she goes tho
12979391, this would be expected from Kendrick so no backlash.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Feb-26-16 11:31 AM
12979399, SUPERBOWL>>>>>> grammies
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Feb-26-16 11:41 AM
12979424, rappers are allowed to be Blackity Black. pop singers, not so much.
Posted by Damali, Fri Feb-26-16 12:00 PM
12979438, yonce got the too black critics & the not black enough critics tho
Posted by Riot, Fri Feb-26-16 12:19 PM