Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectI see where she's coming from...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12974968&mesg_id=12975187
12975187, I see where she's coming from...
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Wed Feb-17-16 11:40 AM
while watching I was a bit disappointed with the way Huey was portrayed overall. I mean it was he started something...he went to jail...he became a violent drug dealer and crack head...then he died.

It just kind of minimized his influence in the entire thing, while exhalting Clever's. Which most people know there would be just as much, or more info about Clever that could taint his character and sanity as it would Huey's.

I tell you the one part that was very powerful to me...was the gentleman who was in the shoot out in LA, when asked how he "felt" during it.... he said he felt free....he was a "free Negro"....decades earlier one was literally either a slave, or a Free Man, or a Free Negro.... based upon your specific status in terms of where you lived.... This man was a Free Negro based upon his action of defending himself. He was defining himself as opposed to society defining him. Very powerful stuff....

But I would definitely want to see Elaine Brown's book become an HBO documentary. I think you'd get a more full view of the party.