Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectjesus, try dealing with the merits of the argument for once.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12958412&mesg_id=12959449
12959449, jesus, try dealing with the merits of the argument for once.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Jan-19-16 05:49 PM
I didn’t say you equated the two as “equally talented”.

Your exact words:

“can you imagine it if we did this shit for jay z?

like posting about his big lips instead of his talent”
…and then went on to say something about this contributing to the decline of hip hop.

There’s a very marked difference between reducing someone with such a significant impact and presence musically to his camel face and doing the same with someone who is a comparative insect. It’s not “stanning for Jay Z” to point out this glaring discrepancy, but it IS stanning for LM to pretend like that wasn’t an egregiously out of touch comparison.

I explained the massive difference between the two and why people aren’t discussing LM’s “talent”.

The simple truth is that her talent really doesn’t warrant discussion.

The most notable thing in her career is hijacking a moment by talented people with real stature that she was unable to attain on the merit of her talent. That’s some Steve-O shit. She’s more or less Snooki. She’s one of the Jenner girls. She’s just sort of there. Her “talent” isn’t what’s keeping her name anywhere near an article or talking point or snarky message board discussion.
SO, I mean, tell me more about how incredulous you are about this because she’s being spoken of in light of her actual stature, not the stature she or you imagines she has due to her rather limited talents.

>point is, she is a woman and so we shit on her looks and reduce her down to dick and fantasy fodder >while a male mc is able to go beyond just being seen as a piece of something to fuck or something >viewed under that lens.

>OKP has a big issue with women, this is known

LOL. Cape on. You continue to ignore the fact that this really boils down to her having nothing particularly noteworthy to discuss. She’s a non-factor and a conversation about her looks is perfectly in line with her status as an basic pop personality with nothing of note aside from some badly misguided hijinks with more talented people and a completely clueless reaction to a backlash that was well deserved.
The truth is that it’s simply far easier for you to sum this up to the broad brush stroke of “OKP hates woman” than it is to objectively look at this without your cape fluttering in the wind and realize this is just a pop personality and the conversation at hand is par for that course.

When she puts out good songs and demonstrates talent worth discussing, perhaps people will discuss her talent and if not, you can rail all you want about her being “reduced” to something beneath her stature. Till then, cape on, caper.