Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRE: Is Bill Cosby's Public Arrest a "DISTRACTION"?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12950034&mesg_id=12950361
12950361, RE: Is Bill Cosby's Public Arrest a "DISTRACTION"?
Posted by jane eyre, Thu Dec-31-15 06:46 PM
I mean. Sure, if I get your point. Distract: that's what the media often does (as you've said): "let me take joy and make money off of eviscerating you publicly."

However, I don't conflate the dubious journalistic ethics of the "circus" aspect of Cosby coverage as reason to be skeptical that the *actual* crimes Cosby's been accused of are trumped up.

I think the justice and legal system has "worked" quite well for Cosby, who has been able to buy a kind of silencing of those who, rightly so, deserve a day in court. He's been able to buy legal representation that's kept him, for many years, from being prosecuted and out of jail.

He may be one of the few Black men in America who's been able to buy off the criminal justice system. So far.

And the media has done a great job helping Cosby, too. He's been able to buy all kinds of PR-- and with it, a reputation and persona he crafted and created. And he's used the media to do it all-- the media has helped him. He owes much of his success to the media.

That "persona"? America's Dad? A huge distraction, come to find out.

Media is in the business of all manner of distraction.

Cosby and the media have had a profitable, mutually beneficial relationship. They've colluded together. Cosby strikes me as being quite skilled and savvy when it comes to building a strategy about his image. If somebody is in the business of selling lies and you have a massive lie you want to sell? Well. If you lie down with dogs, you might come up with fleas.

The media is gonna do what they're gonna do. And Cosby sure as hell, apparently, has being doing what he's gonna do. Both parties understand the game.

I don't have much sympathy for Cosby in that regard and wish the victims well because this kind of situation is a tough road to travel when you're accusing a rich, powerful, "beloved" man.