Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectAre you ever really justified in tellng your upstairs neighbors to chill on the noise?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12944331
12944331, Are you ever really justified in tellng your upstairs neighbors to chill on the noise?
Posted by illEskoBar221, Wed Dec-16-15 09:54 AM
Are you ever really justified in telling your upstairs neighbors to chill on the noise?

when is it appropriate to do so?

i was at my homies crib and this nigga has an energetic ass pit bull
that runs around the spot and jumps up and down when he doesnt receive attention, i was like damn i know his downstairs neighbors gotta be lke wtf

I used to get so pissed with my upstairs
neighbors because at like 800 every sat and sunday
they would move around crazy..but then once i realized it
was his two kids (ages 5-8) that he only got to see on wknds i thought about it and was like ok its kinda justified

i try to also be sympathetic because now
their baby is crawling and attempting to walk..but man it gets hard
you dont want to be that neighbor i mean i can imagine having kids is a challenge anyway esp toddlers or whatever then coupled with neighbors complaining it aint a good look.

i actually think ppl with kids should live on the first floor
like that shit should be a requirement

this is my first time living on the second floor but it puts alot of things in perspective...i probably was loud as shit too my neighbors
and it never crossed my mind, i think people really dont know most of the time.

so shout out to the neighbors who eat all that loud noise like a champ
ho
12944334, Depends on the type of noise
Posted by flipnile, Wed Dec-16-15 10:00 AM
If it's just walking/stomping then it's irritating, but I really can't be like "Yo, can you walk quieter?"

If it's someone's loud-ass music best believe I will be banging on their door asking if they can tone it down a bit. I haven't had an issue with loud music for years tho (a neighbor way back used to blast Ja Rule and Ashanti... I still dislike her for that shit).
12944348, but a big ass pit bull jumping up and down is a no no
Posted by illEskoBar221, Wed Dec-16-15 10:15 AM
and to be honest most places don't even allow
you to have pit bulls because they're considered
an "aggressive breed" so you should be delicate with
that muthafucker because you're kinda already on thin ice

nigga you didnt pay a pet fee
niggas get kicked out of apts for stuff like that

and its not the dogs fault you need a yard
for dog like that.

But yeah dogs are a no no
12944371, My upstairs neighbor has a cat, and I can hear it running and jumping
Posted by flipnile, Wed Dec-16-15 10:26 AM
Amazing how those little paws can make all that noise. I couldn't deal with a dog over me. I'd have to drop a dime to the landlord over that.
12944386, damn a cat?? yall got wood flooring? how big is the cat
Posted by illEskoBar221, Wed Dec-16-15 10:36 AM
12944398, It's an old row house, built in 1930
Posted by flipnile, Wed Dec-16-15 10:43 AM
Old wooden interior floors (no concrete), so everything is loud between apartments. My upstairs neighbor wear boots to work, and it sounds ridiculously loud when she's walking around in them. I can even hear the cat meowing at her door from my apartment (the hallway is like an echo chamber).

My neighbors are cool and respectful tho, so it works. Plus, we all have career jobs so whatever noise that we make is always temporary.
12944419, As long as you and your neighbors are cool its cool
Posted by illEskoBar221, Wed Dec-16-15 11:06 AM
Its been weird here in orlando
because i grew up speaking to my neighbors
if i see them in the parking lot or in passing

We just had an influx of latino cats move in our complex
and when you say whats up to them they look
at you crazy as shit

ve never encountered that before
it has to be a florida thing lol
12944354, what's crazy to me is how much louder children walk
Posted by veritas, Wed Dec-16-15 10:17 AM
especially tiny children that just learned to walk.

it makes sense when you see their little plodding, stabbing steps but for the longest time i wondered how a little 25 pound kid could walk louder than a 250 pound man.
12944362, I know my ~50lb son must drive my downstairs neighbor nuts
Posted by flipnile, Wed Dec-16-15 10:22 AM
No shoes in the house, so at least it isn't too bad. But yeah, it's crazy that he makes more noise walking than I do at four times his weight.
12944358, i just don't think i can live above/below anyone anymore
Posted by veritas, Wed Dec-16-15 10:18 AM
i appreciate that a lot of ya'll live in stacked up cities and don't have much choice but nope, not for me.

12944367, yeah... i always lived on the top floor
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Dec-16-15 10:23 AM
and the one time I didn't the person above me was Asian and tip toed so it was all good.
12944377, yeah a house is definitely in my sights
Posted by illEskoBar221, Wed Dec-16-15 10:30 AM
im kinda tired of dealing with
no parking near my building after like
8pm and having to park in visitors on the other side of the property

12944383, I'm working on buying a house now.
Posted by flipnile, Wed Dec-16-15 10:35 AM
I live on the second floor of a three-story row house. At this point in my life, I'm quite over having neighbors above or below me. I'd prefer to have none next to me, either (a lot of twins and row homes here).
12944366, A bar opened up right below me...they go hard from 8PM-5AM Monday-
Posted by Cam, Wed Dec-16-15 10:23 AM
Next Monday.

I've been in this particular apt on/off for the last 10 years, they just opened this past year, it was previously a coffee shop.
I'm kind of used to it now, but I need to move on.
12944381, sheesh...now that sucks you live in a downtown area?
Posted by illEskoBar221, Wed Dec-16-15 10:32 AM
12944390, This place
Posted by Cam, Wed Dec-16-15 10:37 AM
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5245eae3e4b03fcb7c618c50/t/555a7099e4b03e184dd9cdd1/1431990439378/MOLOKO3.jpg
12944403, oh boy that spot looks like a watering hole for loud and drunken YT's
Posted by illEskoBar221, Wed Dec-16-15 10:51 AM
drinking ipa beers

happy hours are probably lit though
12944871, Hell naw. Your rent shoulda went down $200. Lol
Posted by Binladen, Thu Dec-17-15 04:52 AM
12944378, Unless it's reckless loud I kinda assume it's part of the deal...
Posted by Ishwip, Wed Dec-16-15 10:30 AM
....when living in an apartment.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)
12944405, It definitely comes with the territory
Posted by illEskoBar221, Wed Dec-16-15 10:52 AM
there should be some etiquette though
12944444, Oh, for sure
Posted by Ishwip, Wed Dec-16-15 11:25 AM
>there should be some etiquette though

I've almost always lived on the top floor so I haven't had to deal too much with a neighbor bothering me. On the flipside, I've never received a complaint about OUR noise and sometimes I do have the surround sound or music pretty loud, but never real early or late.

Hopefully we're not the terrible people upstairs always making noise haha.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

12944387, I was a loud neighbor... but when downstaris dude complained
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Dec-16-15 10:36 AM
about me listening to 'This American Life' too loudly at 7:00 on a Friday night I knew apartment living just wasn't for me.

The guy was watching Friends reruns at the time.
12944415, Folks need to chill with the complaints on Friday and Saturday nights
Posted by flipnile, Wed Dec-16-15 10:58 AM
Can't even let loose and relax with a day off coming up.
12944420, Not everyone has your work schedule
Posted by ndibs, Wed Dec-16-15 11:08 AM
So ppl need to be considerate

It's like 30/40% of the workforce not working a 9 to 5 at this point.
12944440, These people need to be considerate, actually
Posted by flipnile, Wed Dec-16-15 11:21 AM
>It's like 30/40% of the workforce not working a 9 to 5 at this
>point.

Their odd schedule means that they will most-likely have time at home when most of their neighbors are at work. They have time to play music, have folks over, stomp around, etc.

Since I'm on a 9-5, every time I'm home most of my neighbors are home. I literally don't get to have the building to myself unless I take a day off. So when can I play music? I'm not trying to throw a party, I just want to hear that Coltrane record I just bought.
12944449, people who work odd hours just need to accept...
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Dec-16-15 11:28 AM
that they won't ever get the benefits of a typically sleep schedule.
12944418, Yeah but you should really just get a top floor.
Posted by ndibs, Wed Dec-16-15 11:06 AM
I have a top floor, corner unit with no walls adjacent to any other apartments and I hear almost nothing....
12944457, ^Same
Posted by Ishwip, Wed Dec-16-15 11:32 AM
>I have a top floor, corner unit with no walls adjacent to any
>other apartments and I hear almost nothing....

Floor plan is a sideways U-shape, with the two bathrooms at each end so we share a wall, but it's buffered by the bathrooms and a storage room.

__

12944428, this post is giving me PTSD about my last apartment
Posted by gumz, Wed Dec-16-15 11:11 AM
for the most part i always lived on the higher floors but for that one i was on the 1st floor of a 2 floor house/building. We could hear the neighbors doing everything...it sucked so bad. It was 4 young guys too so they had shorties over and you'd hear their heels, or they'd be up there drinking and going nuts. I would go up there when they partied too crazy but you still heard their day to day which couldn't be helped. i tried not to be an asshole but there were def times i had to go up there.

that situation sucked cause they reminded me of me but i couldn't kick it with them then get mad at them making noise the next day so i kept my distance. i don't ever wanna live beneath someone again though.
12944433, Probably. I'm the occasionally loud neighbour...
Posted by TheAlbionist, Wed Dec-16-15 11:13 AM
... and I don't mind the odd STFU if we really do step over the line. It doesn't happen often though.

Some neighbours called the cops at 1am during my birthday party BEFORE asking nicely the other year... that was pretty fucking classless.
12944437, i wonder if it's different in an apt vs. a condo you own
Posted by southphillyman, Wed Dec-16-15 11:19 AM
once had a situation where i was sandwiched between two floors
upstairs neighbor always was walking around and had two toddlers who must have loved jumping jacks
it wasn't unusual for someone to be walking at 4am and stuff like that
downstairs neighbors were some swedish cats who hit their ceiling every time i got it in and sometimes randomly like if my surround sound bass speaker was knocking etc
i was handling green piff from time to time and the building management posted a note telling ppl not to smoke inside the building cause the ventilation system was all connected so i wasn't trying press too much and just held out till it was time to jet
12944807, RE: i wonder if it's different in an apt vs. a condo you own
Posted by ndibs, Wed Dec-16-15 07:59 PM
Yeah cause you can't move. Some ppl gave forced their neighbors through lawsuits to pull up their floors and put in insulation.
12944439, i never said shit, they ultimately got evicted thinking i had
Posted by dba_BAD, Wed Dec-16-15 11:20 AM
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12515314&mesg_id=12515314&listing_type=search#12516033
12944443, Maan...I feel you
Posted by tully_blanchard, Wed Dec-16-15 11:22 AM
Our building was built in the 50's or 60's, no concrete.

My upstairs neighbor has three kids...son in 6th grade (5'8", at least 250 lbs), one in 12th grade (5'4", at least 260 lbs), and an older daughter (6'0", bout 3fitty), and the mom is about 5'5", before her lipo, prolly bout 230.

The mom works early mornings, so she's usually up at like 3...the oldest daughter is a stripper (yeah), so she's getting in when the mom gets up. The youngest goes to school with my daughter, so he's up around 6something, and the daughter in the 12th grade is home schooled, so she's always there.

it's hell...pure hell...when they get to walking around it sounds and feels like we're on the bottom of a slave ship...CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH BOOM! BOOM!

Sunday mornings you can hear the FBB (Fat Butt Boy) yelling and playing video games. They got a new stereo the other week and kept the volume up for two days straight...while they were out of town.

its pure hell...cant wait to move..

Bottoms up....and the devil laughs..

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr
12944506, yup.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Dec-16-15 12:12 PM
my upstairs neighbors host a toddler one weekend per month. it's usually the 3rd one. so i expect the kid to be there this weekend from Friday evening through Sunday afternoon. it always sounds like the kid is up there playing war games. lots of banging on the floor and running and occasional yelling. i never complain b/c the loud noises are infrequent and the noise generally ends around 8 or 9pm when i assume the kid is put to bed. and it's only one weekend per month so it's not so bad, really.

they have a party maybe once per year - i assume it's a birthday. and they had a party for the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight too. lol those were no big deal but i'd have appreciated a heads-up/warning about them b/c both parties ran late - to about 1 or 2 am. i could've complained b/c they were loud during 'quiet hours' but i chilled.
12944581, yes, when his daughter starts practicing for her musical
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Wed Dec-16-15 01:25 PM
at 6am
12944725, when necessary but politely, of course
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Wed Dec-16-15 04:47 PM
i lived on the second floor of a duplex most of my childhood. i used to only play my drums between 3 and 5 and then 7 and 8, before dinner and before bed. one set of neighbors we had--a couple with a son, jehovah's witnesses who had a dad that looked like a shorter lenny wilkens--still fucking hated me. one day the woman in the couple came up upstairs and smashed my bedroom window with her bare hand. She still had the balls to come to the door, hiding her bloody hand behind her back and told me about her headache and keeping it down and so forth. i sent her the bill for the window.
12944730, lol, did she have to get stitches later?
Posted by flipnile, Wed Dec-16-15 04:53 PM
I knew a guy that punched through a glass window before (arguing with a family member). Messed his arm up pretty bad. Tore a lot of skin off, he went into shock and nearly passed out, had to go to the hospital.
12944990, her hand was in a huge ass bandage for a few weeks
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Dec-17-15 10:55 AM
i never got the specifics of her injury. the only guy i really talked to was the dad and even that was limited. they were very weird people.
12944805, Only?
Posted by ndibs, Wed Dec-16-15 07:52 PM
...I would kill you or myself if I had to come home from work and listen to drumming 4 hours EVERY evening. Parents who want to have kids drum 4 hours a day should buy a house, preferably detached, in the middle of the woods.
12944921, lol.. true. who thr fuck practices drums in an apt.
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-17-15 09:40 AM
12944989, it was a big condo, where else was i gonna practice?
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Dec-17-15 10:54 AM
12945032, ole girl punched a window and then knocked on your door
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-17-15 12:13 PM
if you think you weren't loud than ionno what to tell you.
12945034, oh i was definitely loud, i am just saying let's not go crazy
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Dec-17-15 12:15 PM
12945048, I just got a four-piece drum set for my son... we live in an apartment
Posted by flipnile, Thu Dec-17-15 12:49 PM
I ain't set it up yet tho, lol. I don't want to be a complete dick to my neighbors. Working on buying a crib now, so hopefully it'll resolve itself.
12944988, No, I would practice maybe 90 min a day, but between those hours.
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Thu Dec-17-15 10:54 AM
I also had pads that deafened the sound, though I didn't always use them, and I also played with brushes. To say that it was like four hours of pounding a day would be an exaggeration (that's what she said!).
12945200, man speaking of loud instrument playing
Posted by veritas, Thu Dec-17-15 04:00 PM
my yard is adjacent to my neighbor's yard (even though we're on different streets, dig?) and that neighbor uses their house as a vacation rental.

few months back (can't remember if i posted it) some people rented that house and were playing bagpipes at like 9:30/10 at night. like 3-5 bagpipers just blaring their shit.

finally i had to yell at them to knock it off because i had work in the morning and as far as i know there's nothing worse for trying to wind down than loud ass bagpipes.

shitty thing was they were probably in town for a fallen firefighter memorial thing. oh well. do that shit during the day.
12945432, she's my hero lol
Posted by Trinity444, Fri Dec-18-15 06:49 AM
12944731, You have to be OUTRIGHT violating for me to knock on your door.
Posted by DVS, Wed Dec-16-15 04:56 PM
For instance....Playing music loud as shit after like 11pm on a weekday.

I'll let pretty much anything slide on the weekend...and I'll let you rock until bedtime during the week...but if you are interrupting my normal schedule? I'm going to confront it. Politely. The 1st time.

D
12944844, Yes, any noise before 9 am and after 10 pm
Posted by Trinity444, Wed Dec-16-15 11:02 PM
I'm calling the police...

12944881, the police? oh, you are one of those types.
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Dec-17-15 07:00 AM
12945429, either that or get beat up lol
Posted by Trinity444, Fri Dec-18-15 06:36 AM
I can't stand loud music in a house....

12945049, O_o
Posted by flipnile, Thu Dec-17-15 12:50 PM
>I'm calling the police...
12945058, you're not serious
Posted by KiloMcG, Thu Dec-17-15 01:12 PM
ya can't be.
12945426, depends...
Posted by Trinity444, Fri Dec-18-15 06:29 AM
When your music is loud and I've requested that you keep it down
**dials 911**

I've done my part...made the request
for you to disregard it, as your neighbor - how should I take that?

If you're not entertaining guest it's no reason to blast music....

12944870, Im pretty cautious of how I walk and the level of noise I make.
Posted by Binladen, Thu Dec-17-15 04:49 AM
Just out of common courtesy, and Ive had noisy neighbors before. But sometime you just gotta make them aware.
12944873, I thought a giant 300lb man lived above me
Posted by Sofian_Hadi, Thu Dec-17-15 05:38 AM
until one day this maybe 90lbs soaking wet girl who turned out to be 20yrs old was walking her tiny dog and we started talking and she says "were neighbors i live above you"...she lived alone and drove a BMW (parents pay for everything)....she would stomp around mon-fri at 6Am on the dot i guess getting ready for work and then slam her door and go running/stomping down the stairs. Ive never heard such a tiny human make such a large amount of noise. Finally had to call her out on it, got kinda awkward and we dont really say hi much to each other anymore. But she needed to grasp the concept that people live below and around her and grown men arent even that loud.
12944876, Yes, some upstairs neighbors can go 3 far
Posted by MEAT, Thu Dec-17-15 06:27 AM
My first apartment, this dude would just monster out at random hours of the night. One Tuesday at like 2-3 in the morning it was him and some of his friends watching wrestling at full volume.

Then I guess they started wrestling, because it was shaking the dishes in my cabinet.

I asked him to chill a few times, reported him a few times and finally it came to a head when he got super drunk, went to the wrong floor, tried opening my apartment up thinking it was his, wouldn't listen to me from the other side of the door tell him it wasn't the right place ... so I finally opened up the door with my knife in my hand.

I didn't hear much from him after that.
12944992, This video
Posted by sevencents, Thu Dec-17-15 10:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IRB0sxw-YU
12945022, only if you are the landlord.
Posted by Cenario, Thu Dec-17-15 11:53 AM
12945199, i am the upstairs neighbor
Posted by MzOnyxVI, Thu Dec-17-15 03:55 PM
but it's my downstairs neighbor who is loud as hell

i've been in my place for almost 4 years.

he moved in about 6 - 8 months ago; no one lived there before that so i never knew how thin the walls were

i can hear him breathing

coughing

talking

farting

fucking

it's awful

i know what female is in his bed without having to see a car or face

simply because i know what they all sound like when having sex

it's really, really, really awkward and uncomfortable
12945449, Now, just imagine all of *your* noises that he has to hear
Posted by flipnile, Fri Dec-18-15 08:43 AM
Homeboy's all up in your bidness.