Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBout to cop a new phone. 6s or 6s Plus?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12944318
12944318, Bout to cop a new phone. 6s or 6s Plus?
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Wed Dec-16-15 09:41 AM
and what's the reason for your choice?
12944321, Nexus 6P
Posted by FLUIDJ, Wed Dec-16-15 09:42 AM
because I don't do iPhones?

"Get ready..for your blessing..."
12944453, LG V10 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Dec-16-15 11:31 AM
out of the 2015 phones, anyway.

V10, G4 -- because they still give you removable battery and expandable storage and ass whoopin' hardware.

then Moto X Pure -- because the price isn't bad for a "flagship", MotoMaker lets you make it cool... it can work with every provider, and Moto's OS is basically stock Google with enhancements specific to the phone (I'd say Droid Turbo 2, but that's Verizon specific, and Verizon has a habit of eating the poo poo. I wish that the rugged materials/shatterproof screen weren't carrier specific)

then the Nexus 6P

then the Samsung phones

then everything else
12944884, Indeed...but LG is still on my shit list for reasons I don't even recall lol...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Thu Dec-17-15 07:07 AM
So I always just breeze past their product. But yeah, the V10 was the first LG in a long time to catch my eye & make me pause for minute.

Moto X's camera ruins it for me...

It's all about the camera at the end of the day.

I think camera ranking wise (for Android)...the verdict seems to be:
1 or 2. V10
2 or 1. S6 & Note 5
3. Nexus 6P & 5X
4. everybody else....

I have feeling the Samsung is going to bring back removable batteries or at LEAST a microSD card slot. They caught a lot of flack this year for that bullslip...
12945276, i love my nexust 6p and they did a simple but genius thing
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Thu Dec-17-15 06:11 PM
that i laugh at other phones about now

they put the power/volume buttons in an actual reachable spot when holding the phone one handed
12945457, Oh man.
Posted by Dr Claw, Fri Dec-18-15 08:59 AM
>So I always just breeze past their product. But yeah, the V10
>was the first LG in a long time to catch my eye & make me
>pause for minute.

the G4 and V10 are without hyperbole, their GOAT

the V10 is the first phone I DON'T want to put into a case (I will anyway, but I don't want to). it's like a better version of the G4, which was just great.

If you don't like the plastic or ceramic backs, you can get leather backs to add to the "premium" look. The customization alone is what grabs me. Much like the Moto X Pure/Style 2015 model.

I think they shat on Samsung this generation.

I don't get why their OS skin gets so much dislike; it's no worse than TouchWiz, IMO. and one thing I do like about TouchWiz and LG OS is that you don't have to drag the notification shade down 2x to get to the expanded settings.

Stock Android and Moto do it, and while I'm cool with it, it's one thing that puts me off in the experience.

>Moto X's camera ruins it for me...

It's aight. really, the software is what is wack with it. But the same thing can be said of the stock Google camera software. On a Nexus phone you really might want to invest in 3rd party. This is where LG and Samsung (especially) shine; the cameras usually kill.

My old S5 does well in many situations, including low light (though I occasionally get some duds in that situation).

>It's all about the camera at the end of the day.
>
>I think camera ranking wise (for Android)...the verdict seems
>to be:
>1 or 2. V10
>2 or 1. S6 & Note 5
>3. Nexus 6P & 5X
>4. everybody else....
>
>I have feeling the Samsung is going to bring back removable
>batteries or at LEAST a microSD card slot. They caught a lot
>of flack this year for that bullslip...

I think the Galaxy S7 (esp. with Marshmallow's changes) is bringing back the microSD slot. Removable batteries I think won't be coming back in the main Galaxy line, now that they've moved to the "All Glass Everything" model. I expect that the S7 will be the "iPhone 6S" version of the S6.

The 6P is definitely the best Nexus, though I am a HUGE fan of the Nexus 6 (Moto's version). That was a ridiculously huge phone.

People getting all "VFW" over Huawei making the phone is some BS, though. All xenophobic over a Chinese -brand- (damn near every phone is made in China anyway). They make excellent hardware; it's their software that sucks. But you add Google to the mix and suddenly their phones really are awesome.

I would definitely recommend a 6P in >=64GB storage config.
12945472, I want a real leather backed phone SO bad fam...It just seems like the
Posted by FLUIDJ, Fri Dec-18-15 09:29 AM
perfect material for the rear of a phone. And i'm like you, I wouldn't want to put it in a case either...

That's another rub against the new Samsungs for me too....glass looks good...but it's probably the WORST choice in material for a phone!

I'm really not in the market right now since my Note 4 is only a year old...but yeah, by the time next fall rolls around...I will indeed be checking for the LG V11 if they continue down the path they're on.

One review I read about the Nexus 6P really pointed out some shortcomings that I hadn't even thought of. (http://www.anandtech.com/show/9820/the-google-nexus-6p-review)
He talks about how the stock android doesn't really have the ability to take full advantage of large screens, whereas folks like Samsung (and LG i think) are optimizing their models to scale on screen text in a way that maximizes the size and resolution capabilities of the larger format...also the whole multi-tasking thing (which I personally don't care for). I did notice on my boys Nexus 6(moto), it's a big ass screen...but then the interface is all chunky too...almost like when old folks be having 27" monitors with the resolution at like 900x400...just tragic...lol

"Get ready..for your blessing..."
12945563, Indeed...
Posted by Dr Claw, Fri Dec-18-15 12:04 PM
>That's another rub against the new Samsungs for me
>too....glass looks good...but it's probably the WORST choice
>in material for a phone!

on the Note 5/S6 Edge+, the glass looks especially good. but I'd have to keep that in some kind of case. you'd be continually wiping it down, or it falls out of your hands, etc.

the material on the iPhone and other such sealed phones don't have that problem.

>I'm really not in the market right now since my Note 4 is only
>a year old...but yeah, by the time next fall rolls around...I
>will indeed be checking for the LG V11 if they continue down
>the path they're on.

Note 4 is still my favorite Samsung phone. I was going to get one on my last upgrade, but my phone died before it came out.

What I like about it (still) is that you get the good parts of the S5, on a larger phone, with less of the BS. If you're coming from a 2011 model phone like I was when I got the S5, the S5 will seem godlike. nowadays, 16GB storage all dedicated when you have to keep a lot of apps (for productivity/work reasons) isn't enough. Thankfully, microSD is still an option on that phone, so that you can keep your "junk" away from the apps... but it doesn't help the apps all that much.

thankfully, the Note 4 was a 32GB phone.

So is the Note 5. The problem is that many US carriers did NOT take the higher storage options for this phone. and some territories don't even sell it. If you could get that phone in 64GB or 128GB that really would justify taking the plunge.

(but then again, I have a bias: if you're gonna take away expandable storage on an Android phone, then it's best to go Nexus or GTFO)

>One review I read about the Nexus 6P really pointed out some
>shortcomings that I hadn't even thought of.
>(http://www.anandtech.com/show/9820/the-google-nexus-6p-review)
>He talks about how the stock android doesn't really have the
>ability to take full advantage of large screens, whereas folks
>like Samsung (and LG i think) are optimizing their models to
>scale on screen text in a way that maximizes the size and
>resolution capabilities of the larger format...also the whole
>multi-tasking thing (which I personally don't care for). I did
>notice on my boys Nexus 6(moto), it's a big ass screen...but
>then the interface is all chunky too...almost like when old
>folks be having 27" monitors with the resolution at like
>900x400...just tragic...lol

Yeah. Stock Android is in many cases a template.

I wish you could get that experience with minimal-to-no-bloat AND an experience that matches the hardware in most if not all aspects. Off-contract, non-carrier specific Moto phones do this, but they usually fall flat in the camera space.

I wish that the big Android manufacturers could afford to stiff-arm the carriers to avoid the bloatware.
12944370, Depends on your needs
Posted by DJ Wade-O, Wed Dec-16-15 10:25 AM
But the plus has a better camera

Download my new mixtape featuring Lecrae, Andy Mineo, Christon Gray and more. Positive Hip Hop: http://www.noisetrade.com/wadeoradio
12944382, Plus has the better camera....
Posted by KnowOne, Wed Dec-16-15 10:33 AM
so if you dont mind the larger size, go for that.
12944973, both has 4K
Posted by soken, Thu Dec-17-15 10:28 AM
12944450, my personal iPhone choice is 6S Plus (because I like 'phablet' phones)
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Dec-16-15 11:28 AM
but either one is good. depends on how you use it, what kind of phones you like

(now Android is a different story...)
12944604, Note 5
Posted by melmag, Wed Dec-16-15 02:10 PM
Android bitch!
12944867, not over an iPhone, the first I'll ever say it. Samsung's 2015 lot are bullshit
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Dec-17-15 03:51 AM
if you're gonna deal with a sealed, unexpandable Android phone, Nexus or GTFO

12944611, 6s if you got girly hands. 6s plus is the shit though nm.
Posted by RaFromQueens, Wed Dec-16-15 02:26 PM
12944878, Yep
Posted by ProgressiveSound, Thu Dec-17-15 06:34 AM
12944842, I have the 6s plus...
Posted by Trinity444, Wed Dec-16-15 11:00 PM
brand loyalty
every electronic I have is Apple...
12944853, Came in here just to see the pressed ass 'neither' replies
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Wed Dec-16-15 11:55 PM
Including naming other phones than the two options u listed. Smh predictable okps
12944972, I just got the 6S. The plus is for mofos who can't read
Posted by soken, Thu Dec-17-15 10:25 AM
and need big ass JNCO pockets as they don't have a car to drive in.
12944981, That's what I rolled with
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Thu Dec-17-15 10:41 AM
I did the pocket test and the plus failed. I don't need a phone as big as a CD case.
12945300, That skip protection tho.
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Dec-17-15 06:45 PM
12945224, yup
Posted by Eric B Is Prez, Thu Dec-17-15 04:32 PM
The 6s already peeks out of the top of my back jeans pocket. As far as I'm concerned this is as big as a phone should be. It looks stupid having a tablet in your pocket.
12945380, yup, same
Posted by DJR, Thu Dec-17-15 11:56 PM
I've got an iPad mini already and I'm not carrying something damn near that size in my pocket. Don't know how anyone deals with that.
12945423, can't read or can't see?
Posted by Trinity444, Fri Dec-18-15 06:01 AM
12945461, man, foh. I don't know which pockets y'all put your phones in.
Posted by Dr Claw, Fri Dec-18-15 09:08 AM
I see a lot of people back pocketing it... which I would never do for a number of reasons. Front pockets usually do well with either 6 models.

the 6S Plus is a fine "oversized" phone. It doesn't overdo it, IMO.

My favorite phone, LG's V10 inches toward "excessive" (the Nexus 6 is, IMO... even though I like it), but Apple didn't do bad their first go-round in this arena.

The iPhone 6 is actually kind of massive, compared to the 5, which was truly what people used to call "pocket sized".
12945468, probably skinny jeans...
Posted by Trinity444, Fri Dec-18-15 09:19 AM
12945551, iPhone fade
Posted by Eric B Is Prez, Fri Dec-18-15 11:38 AM
I started back pocketing a couple months ago. I just got sick of all my jeans developing a perfect outline of my iPhone faded in the front pocket. I have no idea why it happens, but it's definitely not a good look having a rectangle on the front of your pants that shouts "HEY EVERYBODY THIS IS WHERE MY PHONE GOES"

And unless you're wearing JNCOs or some really baggy jeans, if you have the 6 plus in any pocket, it's going to look like you're walking around with a paperback in your pants.

12946095, It's okay save for the big boy one next time nm.
Posted by RaFromQueens, Sun Dec-20-15 08:13 PM
12945381, 60$ android phone. it does all that shit that 1000 phone does
Posted by eye.M.woman, Thu Dec-17-15 11:58 PM
well all the shit you really need lol
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Fri Dec-18-15 11:47 AM
If you get an Android phone there isn't much of a reason to get anything besides a Nexus or maybe the Moto X series.