Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBoth
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12933440&mesg_id=12934262
12934262, Both
Posted by bigkarma, Tue Nov-24-15 11:01 AM
I had lived on my own for a decade before getting married, and didn't realize how set in my ways I had become. All the little things involved in cohabiting got under my skin.

She had stayed over before, but living together is a different animal. And, the responsible of being married is even deeper.

Also all the little concessions of personal freedom that we don't think about at first mount up when you get married. I remember a few weeks in, I was over my boys crib watching football. I called and said i was heading out and did she want me to pick up something for dinner. I ended up staying longer than I said I would, and when I got home she was angry...and hungry. Seems like no big thing, but the early part of a marriage is FULL of little push/pull moments, until you establish a rhythm.

I imagine it would be easy to get all that out of the way before you get married, but then comes the issue of how much weight you put on all the little concessions.