Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectMy school was 85% hispanic
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12926644&mesg_id=12929092
12929092, My school was 85% hispanic
Posted by MEAT, Mon Nov-16-15 09:48 AM
Forbes currently lists it as 72% but with 14% white, and you know how some people choose to identify.

I never felt oppressed but I never felt in place. San Antonio is such a weird place. It's overwhelmingly Hispanic and oppressively so. My experience post high school was such that I left two weeks after graduating college.

For me it felt a lot like the Deep South, only with Hispanics traded for white people. You were expected to "know your place" as a Black person; and many Black people did/still do treat themselves as second class citizens in that city.

I didn't play out much for me in school because I worked so much. I'd leave class and head straight to work and then I lived at home. But there were some people that consistently had slick shit to say. There was a year where Lanier played Sam Houston (Hispanic vs Black) in the HS basketball playoffs and won and some folks kept running up to me talking about how they beat my boys.

The BSU was underwhelming, they rarely did anything, and for the most part existed as a campus clique. Most of the women joined city wide sorors and two of the more "memorable" men were some of the biggest fake Farnsworth stans I've ever come across.

I'd say the campus was reflective of the city. "Good" black people were like the ones that played for the Spurs, everyone else was not. I remember the year when the Pistond knocked off the Lakers, everyone was so happy how a team came together and beat that Kobe and his ego. When the very next year that same Pistons team played the Spurs, they were suddenly all thugs. That was/is that city. That was the campus. I'd never move back there.

It's becoming more black, but not more Black. I'm more than happy to stay in DC for the foreseeable future.