Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectGraduates of PWI universities, did you ever feel oppressed?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12926644
12926644, Graduates of PWI universities, did you ever feel oppressed?
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Wed Nov-11-15 08:03 PM
All this talk about mistreatment at these universities got me wondering if I was clueless of my own oppression or if I just got lucky.

I went to school in racist ass Texas (2005-2010) and never got called nigger (although we did have plenty of confed flags. I mean, this IS Texas). My teachers treated me more than fairly, and I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable.

Our Black Student Association never got the opportunity to get mad about anything because nothing worthwhile ever happened. The occasional racist flare up was just shrugged off as random events not worth our attention.

So has the landscape drastically changed just recently? Are students more aware/care more? Are they more sensitive? Do they just want to be a part of something and are just riding the momentum?

12926648, 10% or so...not oppressed but diff treatment
Posted by rdhull, Wed Nov-11-15 08:06 PM
nm
12926651, nope.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Nov-11-15 08:11 PM
12926663, hell no... but VCU was 49% white
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Nov-11-15 08:36 PM
12927647, Things done changed. It's going down at your alma mater RIGHT TODAY
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Thu Nov-12-15 07:36 PM
http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-of-richmond/article_4a05d70e-99fe-539f-9097-8415205caafd.html

Black students take over VCU's president's office to demand changes

A group of black Virginia Commonwealth University student activists marched into the school president’s office Thursday morning to demand the university increase the number of black professors and offer more cultural training on campus.
The students, about 30 in all, took over the first floor of the office on Franklin Street about 10 a.m., blocking the entrance and offices on the first floor as well as disrupting daily work.
What followed was not a protest rife with tension or safety concerns but an open and frank conversation with VCU President Michael Rao about the problems the black students they say confront at VCU.

“I’m really glad you’re here. I think it’s important for there to be some sense that our students see a lot of what’s going on, that our students acknowledge it and are willing to talk about it,” Rao said.

The students' main concern is a lack of black professors at VCU. They say they deal with educators who don’t understand their cultural concerns or the experiences driving their thoughts and world view.

VCU says 5 percent of its professors are black. That’s equal to the national average, according to The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education.
In addition to concerns about what’s happening inside classrooms, the students said they feel like outsiders on campus. VCU’s student body is 15 percent black.

“You can go a whole four years talking to white people, being taught by white people and not having anything to do with black people,” sophomore Reyna Smith said.
The students, several of whom were scheduled to meet with Rao at 11 a.m., entered the building Thursday morning after marching across campus and up Franklin Street chanting “No justice, no peace.”

Once inside the office, they read from a prepared letter expressing their solidarity with student protesters at the main campus of the University of Missouri and from a list of changes they are demanding from VCU officials.

Staff members allowed the students to peacefully read their letter and demands. Brian Shaw, senior executive director in Rao's office, then took the list of the demands and offered the students a chance to meet with Rao an hour early.

The students, sitting down and occupying most of the first floor, declined to leave or to reschedule the appointment.
Rao came downstairs a few minutes later and talked with the students for more than two hours.

The efforts of Rao, his staff and the students themselves defused what easily could have become a nasty standoff.
The students told Rao about feeling alienated at a place where they turned to improve their future. Several said they were angry, hurt and feel abandoned by the university.

Rao sympathized and encouraged them to talk about their concerns.
He told them that their issues are not a complete surprise and that VCU is taking steps to bring more black professors into the university. The university hired eight black professors between last school year and this school year.

Still, he said, it must be acknowledged that black students have a unique perspective and that the university needs to work to bring about fundamental change.
“Students of color can’t take on the burden themselves,” Rao said. He added later, “I very much have the same vision for VCU. I think there’s greater capacity to do what we know we need to do for all fellow human beings, and it needs to be a model for the rest of the nation.”

Among the students’ demands are for VCU to double the number of black faculty members to 10 percent of the total number of professors by 2017, to have at least one of every three candidates interviewing for a faculty position be black, and to create a position to make sure the policies are being implemented.

The students also demand the creation of a cultural competency course for all students and the hiring of an ombudsman so students have someone who will relate to their experiences and concerns.
The students also want to see an increase in funding for cultural organizations and events on campus.

Shayla Sanders, a senior at VCU who took part Thursday, said the issues the students are confronting aren’t simply about themselves. She said having more black professors would benefit all students because of the point of view those professors will bring.

Sanders, and other students, said the idea is to give everyone an opportunity to learn and experience things outside of their cultural comfort zones.
“You really don’t learn about black people at VCU,” she said. “That’s why I think we should go out of our way … to have a transformational experience and have these conversations.”
Thursday’s takeover of the president’s office is the second time black students have rallied this week. About 200 gathered at the university Wednesday.

The demonstrations at VCU follow student-led protests at the University of Missouri, which led to the abrupt resignation Monday of the university’s president, Tim Wolfe, over his administration’s handling of racial complaints.

“As black students at a (predominantly white university) located in the capital of what was once the Confederacy, what the black students at Mizzou are currently experiencing could someday be VCU if further progressive action is not taken,” Attalah Shabazz said, reading from the letter.

Rao, in an email to students and faculty members following Wednesday’s rally, said the university took the concerns seriously and would hold a forum on diversity and inclusion next week.
On Thursday, he invited the students sitting in his office to play a role in the forum and said his staff would work to get them excused from class.

The two sides also agreed to meet again, including gathering in February to discuss progress on the students’ demands.
“I have very little doubt at all about many of the things that people are talking about because sometimes you feel it," Rao said. "Sometimes, to be honest, you wonder, 'Where are the students?' ”
12927743, I saw this on my FB feed...
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Nov-13-15 06:59 AM
I dont know how I feel about this...

I applaud them for the solidarity with Mizzou. But they look like some biting ass biters right now.. lol.

I know the basketball team aint boycottin shit tho.. we trying to prove we can win without Shaka...

new coach and brand new practice facilities.... and we play Duke in a few days.

Maybe my wife should apply to be a professor at VCU? Lol
12927804, i should add...
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Nov-13-15 09:29 AM
I ha e no problem with demanding more black faculty... looking at those numbers I we their point and agree with trying to get 10% black faculty by 2017/18

I was a little too focused on if they felt oppressed on campus...

12928011, Easier said than done (re: more black faculty)
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Fri Nov-13-15 12:18 PM
There aren't enough qualified black professors out there to meet the demand these protesters are calling for.
In my field, there are so few of us that we pretty much all know each other.

From this source there are 37 tenured faculty (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=32903617). They want to double this within two years. There might be little over 37 new faculty positions available in that span of time. They basically want all new faculty members to be black. So unreasonable and irresponsible.

The proposal that 1 out of 3 job candidates is especially unreasonable as well. Because the number of qualified black candidates is so small, this is basically just handing out token interviews to unqualified candidates. That helps no one.
12928129, if you need a $1.. don't ask for $2, ask for $10
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Nov-13-15 01:46 PM
This whole sit in seems rushed and forced... like they didn't really have a strong list of demands and just threw a few things together once Mizzou was in the news.

I damn sure don't believe they feel oppressed on campus tho...

15% Black
12% Asian
7% Hispanic
6% International
4% 2 or more races
50% white

Shit has been a melting pot for a while...

12929130, What's the jump from high school teacher to college professor?
Posted by MEAT, Mon Nov-16-15 10:47 AM
And difference in skill sets needed?
12926669, I wouldn't say oppressed, but
Posted by tariqhu, Wed Nov-11-15 08:49 PM
there were a couple incidents that I vaguely remember. One involved a class I was in. we felt like the white teacher was treating us unfairly in regards to how she answered, more so didn't answer our questions.

she'd spend a lot more time answering the white kids, but very little on our questions. it didn't blow up, but we let her know about it. nothing really changed lol

another incident involved a white frat. don't remember what they did, but the black student union had a sit in or two and I participated. I wasn't in the union or a frat, just wanted to be supportive.
12926676, No but i also went to a PWI who focused on minority retention
Posted by tomjohn29, Wed Nov-11-15 08:59 PM
and focused on some of the transition minorities go through going to a PWI
especially in engineering

gave minorities a free math class right the summer before freshman year
free room and board and books for the summer class to both get you acclumated but also to build a network of peers

as a freshman year did start you were assigned an upperclass mentor in your major

had a study hall sponsored by the minority retenrion program

never ever felt out of place
12926720, I went to Temple, although that was a pretty Diverse campus
Posted by Adwhizz, Thu Nov-12-15 12:01 AM
in the middle of North Philly.

It was pretty chill from what I remember
12926749, My wife went to Temple grad, had a latina professor who implied Blacks were lazy
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Nov-12-15 06:52 AM
She was heated...

12927098, Blacks w...? Don't leave us hanging here!
Posted by flipnile, Thu Nov-12-15 11:49 AM
Based on what I see on the spanish language channels on DTV, I'm guessing "were monkeys"
12927105, were lazy
Posted by Atillah Moor, Thu Nov-12-15 11:55 AM
12926913, yea not sure this would apply to an urban campus
Posted by southphillyman, Thu Nov-12-15 10:27 AM
especially ones in the NE
i was mostly in the CS building(s) and Fox school
which weren't that diverse in terms of AA presence
but ppl were chill
12928651, same. there were eye rolling moments here and there, but nothing oppressive
Posted by Government Name, Sat Nov-14-15 07:32 PM
12926737, Yes -- but I was affected moreso by homophobia and misogyny
Posted by Goldmind, Thu Nov-12-15 01:33 AM
Thus I don't think that I would have fared better at an HBCU.
12927780, hmm.. i found unc pretty queer friendly
Posted by akon, Fri Nov-13-15 09:04 AM
and i think also my entire ch-durham community was essentially a queer collective (southerners on new ground)
my fave queer couple (ever)- one was a professors and one grad student
- probably the reason im on this drph track
that chapel hill-durham community is something special altogether- havent found an equivalent anywhere else

interesting that we had such different experiences
12929196, I should clarify. The school itself wasn't homophobic.
Posted by Goldmind, Mon Nov-16-15 11:36 AM
I think that the climate was pretty queer-friendly for professors, grad students, white folks, and enough other groups to earn the school its liberal reputation. You couldn't ask for a more affirming faculty. But my sphere was predominantly among African-American undergraduate students. And it was stunning that at a school as left-leaning as UNC, at a PWI with such a relatively large Black student body, there were virtually no openly gay black undergrads on campus.

Don't get me wrong, there were TONS of queer African-American students at Carolina. From the track team to the fraternities, we were gettin it IN, lol. But it was a clandestine community. Although we socialized and hooked up with another, no one dared claim a gay/bi identity in mixed company. The intellectuality of UNC didn't change the fact that most of its black students hailed from conservative towns across North Carolina. And they brought their churchy social mores with them. There was no way that I was going to come out and risk becoming a pariah and losing most of my Baptist ass friends.

It's kind of funny that as soon as queer black students graduated from UNC, they started living more openly in the cities that they migrated to. My black gay friends from Carolina are now successful scientists, professors, lawyers and movers and shakers in industries such as finance, fashion, etc. I can't help but wonder what college would have been like for us if we weren't made, by our own community, to feel so ashamed about who we were.

But homophobia wasn't a UNC thing -- it was a Southern and an American thing. And I have no illusions that my experience would have been any better at an HBCU, especially since Carolina's Black student community was so smart and influential.

12926739, never
Posted by guru0509, Thu Nov-12-15 02:10 AM
12926748, Attending one now. I'm good.
Posted by The Wordsmith, Thu Nov-12-15 05:42 AM

Since 1976
12926762, FSU and GSU
Posted by bigkarma, Thu Nov-12-15 07:51 AM
I attended FAMU the first two years of college and frequently went across the tracks (literally) to FSU to socialize. I don't know how it is now, this was the late 80's, but Florida State was racist as hell. Everything you might expect from a Southern PWU back then, like rebel flags and pick-up trucks full of drunk rednecks yelling "nigger".

I eventually transferred to Georgia State, and while the racial climate was a lot better, there was some tension. The only real incident was when a white frat tried to throw one of those pimps and hoes parties with folks coming in black face. This was pre-internet and social media so the only way we even knew about it was because I worked at the on campus Kinko's, and some stupid asshole actually got the flyers printed there.
12926864, no
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Thu Nov-12-15 10:05 AM
12926883, No more so than Iife in general. That's what bothers me about these current
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Nov-12-15 10:14 AM
college based movements. So little of my college experience prepared me for real life dealing with non-liberal white folks.

I was an all star all my life including college and grad school and then I got in the real world and learned that nobody cares. That shit was a wake up call.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Movies I need y'all bastids to see so we can discuss:

Five Star - https://goo.gl/jBHbVv
Appropriate Behavior - http://goo.gl/isCzTM
Ma
12926893, Not at all.
Posted by Teknontheou, Thu Nov-12-15 10:20 AM
12927088, Some students are way more sensitive these days.
Posted by Atillah Moor, Thu Nov-12-15 11:40 AM
at least that's how it seems to me.
12927090, Not oppressed, but definitely more aware of my blackness
Posted by Bluebear, Thu Nov-12-15 11:42 AM
Almost like you don't realize how American you are until you leave the country, i didn't realize how white the rest of the country was until I left my city to attend a PWI. Was an interesting learning experience.
12928049, ^^^basically this for me
Posted by blkprinceMD05, Fri Nov-13-15 12:56 PM
I went to all black and Latino schools from k to 12. Grew up in the DC area when white ppl weren't jogging around NE at midnight. I grew up in a very black environment and then being around mostly white ppl and many of these white ppl never having encountered a black person or thought Black ppl were irrelevant was an eye opener. The subtle/dismissive racism was what I saw
12929135, U street has a Warby Parker now.
Posted by MEAT, Mon Nov-16-15 10:49 AM
12927095, Nah, but I grew up in the hood around mostly Black folks
Posted by flipnile, Thu Nov-12-15 11:48 AM
College was the first time I EVER had a class with more than two white people in it. By that point, IDGAF about what anyone non-Black thought of me. There was some shit that occurred in school, but it was toothless (from my perspective).

I can see how a Black person that grew up dealing with racial shit would have a different perspective.
12927121, I went to SMU from 2003-2007, and yeah racist ish happened.
Posted by Starbaby Jones, Thu Nov-12-15 12:04 PM
The most publicized was when the Young Conservatives thought it was a good idea to have an affirmative action bake sale.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=124735&page=1

Aside from that, one night walking home from the library, I had a group of racist assholes throw stuff at me from a truck and call me a nigger, but they didn't stop when I ran after them. In retrospect chasing them down wasn't the best idea. So, that probably worked out for the best. At any rate, I called the campus police and nothing was done.
12927122, Oppressed, no Segregated, Hell Yes
Posted by select_from_where, Thu Nov-12-15 12:04 PM
12927140, Hell yeah.
Posted by Ms_MynTight, Thu Nov-12-15 12:10 PM
I don't know anyone who attended a PWI and hasn't experienced this on some level. It just seems that racist behavior is common place on campuses that people think todays kids are just whining or making a mountain out of a mole hill. When in realty administration to be expelling mofos left and right. The students who do this racist shit know better....but they also know, that generally it won't be treated like a big deal.....and so every year there is an asshole dressed up Black face or scrawling nigger on a wall.

Everybody's got a lil light unda the sun....
12927152, nope.
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Nov-12-15 12:15 PM
there was that one time a Black got called 'nigger' as he rushed one of the white frats. the admins wouldn't address the issue when the black student org brought it to their attention. so we made some noise and got the media involved. the university then created a special provost position to deal w/minorities. LOL

other than that and an incident w/campus police rolling up on me on some bullshit i didn't experience any race-based 'oppression' on campus.
12927163, Creating those special admin positions is always hilarious to me
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Thu Nov-12-15 12:22 PM
When Oklahoma was going through that racist fraternity stuff, they created a Vice President of Diversity.

Ithaca College is going through some protests right now. The immediate response? Appoint a Chief Diversity Officer.

It's like step one in the counter-protest cookbook lol

12927171, right?
Posted by SoWhat, Thu Nov-12-15 12:25 PM
LOL

like: "here. when you darkies have a problem go to talk to *insert name of the new admin position* and don't bother us w/your nonsense."
12927167, Didn't know we were counting campus police too. In that case...
Posted by flipnile, Thu Nov-12-15 12:23 PM
...Yeah, I felt some oppression in school. From both the campus police and the town police.

- Roomate and I got pulled over on our way home (winter break). Cop went as far as trying to peel off the inspection sticker, talking about "it looks fake"
- Got harassed and chased by the town police for walking in town several times
- Got blamed for shit that the white dudes would do, like pulling the fire alarm in the dorms.
- Homey had his bike stolen, cops refused to believe that he even owned a bike in the first place
- Had the cops called on me/us for simply existing (called by some scurred non-black student, no doubt). It was obvious because the cops would make a bee-line towards me, look at me, make some small talk then bounce once they realized I was just a student.

>other than that and an incident w/campus police rolling up on
>me on some bullshit i didn't experience any race-based
>'oppression' on campus.
12927176, i'm glad i went to St. John's...it was the best of all worlds
Posted by gumz, Thu Nov-12-15 12:30 PM
that school was diverse as fuck...there was a good mix of all ethnicities and backgrounds.
12927715, One thing I like about my American History class is that...
Posted by The Wordsmith, Fri Nov-13-15 12:18 AM
....my professor, who's a white Jewish rabbi, doesn't sugarcoat the racism issues this country has had for too long. Every historic period we've gone through, sooner or later he would include how non whites, especially Black people, have gotten the short end of the stick. I'm in the south, so I be all up in class wondering which one of those youngsters who come from those 'they're taking away our southern heritage' households are getting uncomfortable.

Since 1976
12927720, Attended two...Temple and Penn
Posted by afrogirl_lost, Fri Nov-13-15 12:34 AM
but for graduate school. My experiences have been mostly good, but my undergrads had a completely different perspective.
12927739, Went to both HBCU & a PWI
Posted by Mori, Fri Nov-13-15 05:30 AM
HBCU's outside of the top 5 (HU, Hampton, Spelman, Morehouse, FAMU) are just black community colleges. I learned a ton about black culture, which I appreciate. I experienced more classicism and colorism at the HBCU (light skinned, where ya parents went to school etc)

Left HBCU because of illogical over emphasis on black American social issues. I felt like I was missing out on many other elements of education. I could learn about social issues in a student group. But to spend every class talking about social issues was too much.

So I transferred to a PWI. I felt like I got a much better well rounded education in Business Writing, Global Literature, Communication, and the interaction with a global community.

I still loved the friendships from the HBCU, but many of my friends who didn't follow up with a PWI have not fared will in the job market unless they created their own business.
12927816, A&T is missing from your Top 5 man...
Posted by ChampD1012, Fri Nov-13-15 09:38 AM
and you're slighting a lot of HBCUs...

You're generalizing the hell out of them really...

12927830, every person i know who went to an HBCU and grduated had no problem
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Nov-13-15 09:48 AM
getting a job in their field...

granted its not a large sample size but it's large enough to call bullshit.

Going to a PWI doesn't get you a better job. Its all based on the individuals ability to network and depends on their field of work and how well they interviewed.

12928092, same here and i have a story about it...
Posted by ChampD1012, Fri Nov-13-15 01:23 PM
I'm visiting another company to finish up a project...

I always wear my NC A&T lanyard with my badge...

This person approaches me and notices the lanyard...we have conversation because he was from Greensboro and went to UNC Greensboro...

The first thing he says was..."I went to your (A&T) career fair to get this job. UNC-Greensboro didn't really help when it came to finding work"

It's all about the right fit ultimately...HBCU or PWI...but I'll put NC A&T against any institution...PWI or HBCU...it's one of the best universities in this country...
12928649, RE: same here and i have a story about it...
Posted by Deacon Blues, Sat Nov-14-15 07:11 PM
>I'm visiting another company to finish up a project...
>
>I always wear my NC A&T lanyard with my badge...
>
>This person approaches me and notices the lanyard...we have
>conversation because he was from Greensboro and went to UNC
>Greensboro...
>
>The first thing he says was..."I went to your (A&T) career
>fair to get this job. UNC-Greensboro didn't really help when
>it came to finding work"
>
>It's all about the right fit ultimately...HBCU or PWI...but
>I'll put NC A&T against any institution...PWI or HBCU...it's
>one of the best universities in this country...

No doubt, A&T produces a lot of black engineers (the most I believe). But that post was an ignorant swipe at HBCUs in general. I've met grads from most HBCUs doing big things in a wide assortment of careers. A lot of these new negroes that go to PWIs have a superiority complex (racism is a motherfucker).
12928950, No generalizations, numbers don't lie US News & World Report
Posted by Mori, Sun Nov-15-15 07:24 PM
The top HBCU's are producing and graduating students. I don't see A &T on this list.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/hbcu

Overall, the academic rigor is often watered down to make the students feel good about themselves.

Instead of creating really innovative majors and areas of expertise and necessity for black students ( Health/Fitness, Music/Sports Management & Small Business Entrepreneurship) we just chase after what white schools are doing or recycle outdated black studies curriculums.

I am sure the kids you know have jobs but the kids I know are in jobs that anyone from a community college can do.

I went to both (not a top 5 HBCU) so I saw first hand what our HBCU taught us to think about. I felt like I was ten years behind when I went to the PWI. But I had great self esteem, for whatever that is worth
12928956, RE: No generalizations, numbers don't lie US News & World Report
Posted by Deacon Blues, Sun Nov-15-15 07:55 PM
>The top HBCU's are producing and graduating students. I don't
>see A &T on this list.
>
>http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/hbcu
>

A&T is #9

>Overall, the academic rigor is often watered down to make the
>students feel good about themselves.
>
False and racist

>Instead of creating really innovative majors and areas of
>expertise and necessity for black students ( Health/Fitness,
>Music/Sports Management & Small Business Entrepreneurship) we
>just chase after what white schools are doing or recycle
>outdated black studies curriculums.
>

False and unaware

>I am sure the kids you know have jobs but the kids I know are
>in jobs that anyone from a community college can do.
>
>I went to both (not a top 5 HBCU) so I saw first hand what our
>HBCU taught us to think about. I felt like I was ten years
>behind when I went to the PWI. But I had great self esteem,
>for whatever that is worth

I did as well and had no problem, but since you only seem to believe information from white sources check this article.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/historically-black-colleges-offer-rewards-for-those-who-finish-study-finds-1445966447
12928017, This is a really offensive and incorrect statement
Posted by afrogirl_lost, Fri Nov-13-15 12:28 PM
There are many HBCU's outside of the ones you listed that produce highly intelligent, productive students. How classist of you to shade community colleges. I took some amazing classes at CCP in Philly the summer after my freshman year. I had professors who graduated from Penn, Yale, and Harvard.
12928081, ^^^this
Posted by ChampD1012, Fri Nov-13-15 01:17 PM
12928951, Why are you offended?
Posted by Mori, Sun Nov-15-15 07:28 PM
Nothing wrong with a community college, however it is not a complete and whole education and it is not on par with a 4 year degree. That doesn't mean that a community college student won't graduate to be a "productive" person. It just means that they will be geared towards certain careers that are reserved for lower middle class people.

HBCUs produce productive workers, not innovators. I used to work in a division that only hired HBCU grads. They were the best followers. Very few would critically think. They followed orders and were malleable because they never were taught to be independent thinkers. They wore suits, were sure to have their hair done, could code switch and maintain the face of the company.

Were they job creators, initiating new concepts, or in positions to hire other black people? NOPE. I left because I refused to be clustered with robots.

These are my observations. Why would you be offended?
12928964, RE: Why are you offended?
Posted by Deacon Blues, Sun Nov-15-15 08:40 PM
>Nothing wrong with a community college, however it is not a
>complete and whole education and it is not on par with a 4
>year degree. That doesn't mean that a community college
>student won't graduate to be a "productive" person. It just
>means that they will be geared towards certain careers that
>are reserved for lower middle class people.
>
>HBCUs produce productive workers, not innovators. I used to
>work in a division that only hired HBCU grads. They were the
>best followers. Very few would critically think. They followed
>orders and were malleable because they never were taught to be
>independent thinkers. They wore suits, were sure to have their
>hair done, could code switch and maintain the face of the
>company.
>
>Were they job creators, initiating new concepts, or in
>positions to hire other black people? NOPE. I left because I
>refused to be clustered with robots.
>

most people employed fall within that description.

>These are my observations. Why would you be offended?

Because they are false and racists
12929119, basically... dude acting like PWI's produce Steve Jobs and Bill Gates
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Nov-16-15 10:39 AM
most college grads are going to get a regular ass job in corporate America "if" they are lucky...
12927813, oppressed? no. treated unfairly? yes
Posted by teefiveten, Fri Nov-13-15 09:38 AM
but for the most part i checked folks to the point someone told me i had the 'angry black woman' label

which is hilarious because i was literally one of two in my class and pretty well liked

i was NSBE president for 3 years and there were so few black & latino students we often joined together to do events

one year student government tried to deny/cut our funding and i went to the appeals meeting and went AWF

good times

12927840, it also helped to be in NYC
Posted by teefiveten, Fri Nov-13-15 09:53 AM
so it's not as if i was segregated from black people
no more than i am going to work in my office today

and i had friends at NYU and NSBE as far as connecting w/ other black folks in college
12927821, If you feel segregated then why not transfer to another school?
Posted by ChampD1012, Fri Nov-13-15 09:41 AM
I'm just curious...
12927823, b/c maybe the school offered benefits that outweighed the
Posted by SoWhat, Fri Nov-13-15 09:43 AM
race-related problems.
12927837, ^^^
Posted by teefiveten, Fri Nov-13-15 09:52 AM
12927835, money? parents? fear? ionno
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Nov-13-15 09:50 AM
I would transfer in a heartbeat but some tough it out.

12928098, i mean ulitmately you're there for an education
Posted by ChampD1012, Fri Nov-13-15 01:25 PM
or at least that's what they say...

Scholarship money might be the only reason for me to tough it out...

It has to be a MAJOR leg up in my major to stick around...
12928206, in state tuition is cheap
Posted by naame, Fri Nov-13-15 02:45 PM
location location location
12929129, Transferring isn't cheap or easy.
Posted by MEAT, Mon Nov-16-15 10:45 AM
12927857, I would think college campuses are the least oppressive places
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Nov-13-15 10:04 AM
in this country.

It was certainly the least segregated time of my life. I mean I had legit white friends then.

I think the biggest shock for me was leaving black public schools K-12, going to PWI for college and grad school, was not be prepared for how racism works in professional settings.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Ma
12928021, SEC territory and Big 12 territory? DEFINITELY
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Nov-13-15 12:34 PM
and having a few white friends doesn't mean shit when bubba and em drunk at 2AM shouting nigger from dorm rooms.

12928108, In the south? Yeah it is...
Posted by ChampD1012, Fri Nov-13-15 01:33 PM
some of things my friends have told me made me question what year it is...
12928137, I went to U of Tennessee my first year of college
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Nov-13-15 01:52 PM
I can't lie... there were TONS of friendly white people. My first visit with my mom it took us 5 cars to realize these white people were waving at us...

but at 1AM on the strip on a Friday night? Man... those white kids have no chill.

I worked for intramural sports and had to ump a game of softball between 2 white frats. FUCK THAT!!

I still had a blast.. actually had too much fun but nah... those SEC schools are filled with racist assholes.
12928237, Yeah but the world is filled with racist assholes.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Nov-13-15 03:12 PM
>I still had a blast.. actually had too much fun but nah...
>those SEC schools are filled with racist assholes.

My question is isn't college less oppressive then the TN area around where you were?

Ma
12928453, Well U of Tennessee is in Knoxville... not sure how oppressive that city is...
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Nov-13-15 09:36 PM
I get what you are saying tho...
12927984, said by Masta Ace..
Posted by The3rdOne, Fri Nov-13-15 11:50 AM
"go to school with the otha man..
to know what he knows to know him/
and then my chances to survive is less grim"

agree or disagree?
12928163, Definitely, I was more jarred by racist/sexist administrators & profs than
Posted by no_i_cant_dance, Fri Nov-13-15 02:12 PM
students tho.

I wasn't as woke then as I am now & couldn't wrap my head around educators actively working against you in tertiary ed. I thought that brand of hateful sabotage stopped once one completed high school, lol I learned my lesson!
12928204, in post grad, yes
Posted by naame, Fri Nov-13-15 02:43 PM
on the numbers point especially because in my year there were 2 black male full time students. shit was like they didn't even try to recruit.
12928441, penn state, had sit ins/week long camp at the student union bldg
Posted by Riot, Fri Nov-13-15 09:08 PM
But even without the outright student prejudice, u have stuff like 3% blk faculty at white schools

90+% blk professors end up at hbcus
:)
12928646, I didn't graduate, but I went to Mizzou
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sat Nov-14-15 06:54 PM
There's a row of White Fraternity houses that I must have went through a couple times with my white dormmates. I think I saw the Confederate flag a couple of times. This was in the mid-90's. Based on the recent unrest, it doesn't seem that symbols of racism have been completely eliminated from campus.

I was never the victim of outright racism in Columbia. It was my first taste of unchecked white privilege which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Lots of microaggressions - friends telling me that students on Affirmative Action scholarships don't deserve them, teachers being less than inviting to me, being the only african-american in class, things like that.

But that being said, I made a number of white friends who I still keep in touch with on facebook.

But on a macro level, the university has had major issues embracing and making the campus climate amenable to people of color.

There is a Black Students Center on campus which may have been vandalized while I was there. There was the seemingly yearly moments where a kid would write 'Nigger' or some racially intimidating language on someone's dry erase board.

I think the reason the Mizzou situation is so troubling to whites is that they view the president being fired solely because of the incidents which happened this year when in reality, those situations were borne of conditions which were existing on the campus long before he got there.
12928832, i turned down a full-ride @ Mizzou in the mid-90s
Posted by SoWhat, Sun Nov-15-15 02:05 PM
b/c i didn't feel comfortable on campus when i visited. of all the schools i visited that's the only one where i had that feeling. i feared that the double whammy of being Black AND gay on that campus back then was going to result in too much negative drama - especially relative to the other campuses i'd seen.

i'm sad that i wasn't surprised to learn about the recent shenanigans experienced by too many Mizzou Black students.
12928917, Not Oppressed, but in Grad School many black folks felt overlooked.
Posted by Case_One, Sun Nov-15-15 06:13 PM

12929092, My school was 85% hispanic
Posted by MEAT, Mon Nov-16-15 09:48 AM
Forbes currently lists it as 72% but with 14% white, and you know how some people choose to identify.

I never felt oppressed but I never felt in place. San Antonio is such a weird place. It's overwhelmingly Hispanic and oppressively so. My experience post high school was such that I left two weeks after graduating college.

For me it felt a lot like the Deep South, only with Hispanics traded for white people. You were expected to "know your place" as a Black person; and many Black people did/still do treat themselves as second class citizens in that city.

I didn't play out much for me in school because I worked so much. I'd leave class and head straight to work and then I lived at home. But there were some people that consistently had slick shit to say. There was a year where Lanier played Sam Houston (Hispanic vs Black) in the HS basketball playoffs and won and some folks kept running up to me talking about how they beat my boys.

The BSU was underwhelming, they rarely did anything, and for the most part existed as a campus clique. Most of the women joined city wide sorors and two of the more "memorable" men were some of the biggest fake Farnsworth stans I've ever come across.

I'd say the campus was reflective of the city. "Good" black people were like the ones that played for the Spurs, everyone else was not. I remember the year when the Pistond knocked off the Lakers, everyone was so happy how a team came together and beat that Kobe and his ego. When the very next year that same Pistons team played the Spurs, they were suddenly all thugs. That was/is that city. That was the campus. I'd never move back there.

It's becoming more black, but not more Black. I'm more than happy to stay in DC for the foreseeable future.
12929131, i aint even know what a PWI was until last year.
Posted by Kwesi, Mon Nov-16-15 10:47 AM
is that some new shit?

am i old as fuck?