Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWwyd: Busted iPhone screen and scammy business owner
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12917707&mesg_id=12917707
12917707, Wwyd: Busted iPhone screen and scammy business owner
Posted by Firecracker, Tue Oct-27-15 07:46 PM
For the business savvy / fair & just:

I bought an iphone 6 a couple of months ago, dropped it at a party and busted the screen. The phone still worked flawlessly, but I'm thinking the radiation coming out these new cracks in the screen and flowing into my brain probably isnt ideal, so I decide to get it fixed. After Yelp'ing a bit, I hit up this place MacHorizon in LA. I go there and the technician tells me, sure - he can replace the screen, but being that the phone is slightly curved (iPhone 6s and 6plus'es tend to bend a LOT if you keep em in your jeans pocket without a protective cover) it probably wont gel too well around the edges. I'm like cool, as long as the phone still works and the screen is fixed I dont care if the aestethics arent 100%.

So, they fix it in a couple of hours and charge me $119.

I pick up the phone, looks fine (I'm happy), and 2 days later a crack appears across the top half of the screen. I'm like, well okay - the phone IS curved and I guess that was bound to happen & either way its better than how it was. But the phone starts acting funny and typing random letters and opening & closing apps, and everytime this shit happens I have to restart it. So I e-mail the store twice this morning, and no answer. Me and my friend drive over there this afternoon and I'm getting kinda pissed. The technician is alone at the store and tells me he'll have the boss call me. 2 hours later the boss calls and tries to tell me I was warned that this might happen, to which I respond that if he read my e-mails he should know I'm okay with the screen cracking, but the fact that I gave you $119 just a few days ago only to have my phone working in a way WORSE condition that it was in is unacceptable. The screen cracked out of nowhere after just a couple days AND the phone is acting brand old. This guy keeps talking over me and I get so pissed I start cussing him out and needless to say the convo trailed off for a min. He says if I give him a shitty Yelp review he'll call them and have them take it down, he's got lawyers blabla.

After a while he's saying bring the phone and I'll replace the screen again and I'll only charge you for the cost of the screen, not the repair job. I'm like????? You basically took my money 4 days ago and did not fix shit / fucked my phone up, and now you want another $75? Is this dude forreal?

I basically just want my money back, he ended up saying I can come in and he'll replace the screen again for free "and we'll see". I still kinda just want my money back.

Am I just getting fucked here? Mind you, I'm not from here and I dont know shit about where you draw the line and customer rights and all. At some point I called him a hustler and said I'd talk to lawyer, then he got extra real and told me he was lawyered up so go 'head. Basically, I couldnt "do nothing to hurt him".

What would you do?