Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectYou're the last person left on Earth (supposedly)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12894324
12894324, You're the last person left on Earth (supposedly)
Posted by MEAT, Thu Sep-10-15 03:09 PM
Do you stay in America and if you leave the country how are you getting away?

Watching The Last Man on Earth, he's in Arizona. I think I'd want to be around water not the desert, I don't know how to fly planes or sail boats though, I may be stuck in this country.
12894327, if you're the last man on earth, surely you have time to read
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Thu Sep-10-15 03:14 PM
depending on where you are in AZ you've either got plenty of water or you're fucked.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.
12894334, Nah I mean to live on a lake or something.
Posted by MEAT, Thu Sep-10-15 03:19 PM
I can read all I want, I don't think I'll ever be able to fly a plane.
12894407, My old house up in the mountains near Goodyear, AZ...
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Thu Sep-10-15 04:57 PM
... was on a lake.

the second lake was right behind us.
---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.
12894337, Are there animals? I would like to try out a place with animals and good
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Sep-10-15 03:22 PM
climate. Like the Caribbean.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Movies I need y'all bastids to see so we can discuss:

Five Star - https://goo.gl/jBHbVv
Appropriate Behavior - http://goo.gl/isCzTM
Ma
12894339, I'm only on episode 1 (day off) no animals so far
Posted by MEAT, Thu Sep-10-15 03:23 PM
Just one woman.
12894555, there's one animal in all of season one.
Posted by Doronmonkflake, Fri Sep-11-15 05:32 AM
12894347, I'd go to Crater Lake for the summer.
Posted by Frank Longo, Thu Sep-10-15 03:33 PM
Largest supply of naturally-occurring clean water in the country (maybe the world?).

I'd find a fuckload of jugs and store up for winter like the proverbial squirrel. Put em all in a big-ass truck, go farther south for months October-April, then back up to Crater Lake.

12894350, Main character was driving around a bus. Makes sense.
Posted by MEAT, Thu Sep-10-15 03:35 PM
12894351, I read
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Thu Sep-10-15 03:35 PM
>I'd fuck a load of jugs....

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Movies I need y'all bastids to see so we can discuss:

Five Star - https://goo.gl/jBHbVv
Appropriate Behavior - http://goo.gl/isCzTM
Ma
12894356, Im gonna find a plane and try to fly it anyway.
Posted by Binladen, Thu Sep-10-15 03:38 PM
If I die I die.
12894360, How long will you train, what size plane?
Posted by MEAT, Thu Sep-10-15 03:47 PM
I worked at an airline for a year, got to hop in a simulator once, I wouldn't stand a chance.
12894722, I'd try a Cesna, I dont exaclty know how Id train but Ive been
Posted by Binladen, Fri Sep-11-15 11:16 AM
behind the cockpit of one. I know its not something I can just jump in and fly. But I would say its doable.
12894405, I tried with that show...watched about 5 eps or more...
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Sep-10-15 04:52 PM
I won't throw any spoilers in, but let me know what you think of it as you progress. I might start back up at some point.
12894718, I think I'm over it 4 episodes in.
Posted by MEAT, Fri Sep-11-15 11:05 AM
Phil is just insufferable to the point of annoying.
12894413, i would definitely try to drive a train
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Thu Sep-10-15 05:08 PM
that sounds fun as fuck

12894426, owning a train is serious end game winning imo!
Posted by PG, Thu Sep-10-15 05:46 PM
12894471, serious
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Thu Sep-10-15 07:11 PM
12894425, Earth? you mean PG's palacio de la tierra y los océanos?
Posted by PG, Thu Sep-10-15 05:45 PM
I get it though ... crossing oceans and distance could be a challenge... I don't know though.. I'd find a way and make like Brian Wilson.. "I get around"

maybe Horse.. unless gas was in abundance and pumps were working.
12894428, trek to west coast..leave the US? lol what for?
Posted by rdhull, Thu Sep-10-15 05:49 PM
12894432, Why the hell would I leave America?
Posted by legsdiamond, Thu Sep-10-15 05:55 PM
12894434, California right there, yo.
Posted by IkeMoses, Thu Sep-10-15 05:58 PM
12894438, I know people love international travel, but man, we got one of the best
Posted by J_Stew, Thu Sep-10-15 06:04 PM
places in the world, right here. I'd go on a tour of the national parks, scheduling it with the most favorable weather possible for each location. I'd make race tracks out of the biggest cities' downtown areas, that shit would be so fun.

12894439, I'm hitting the Pacific Palisades or Malibu
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Thu Sep-10-15 06:10 PM
Probably invading this house: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2557313/Yolanda-Foster-sells-27-5m-dream-home-recovers-battle-Lyme-disease.html
12894445, dayuuuuuuuuum!!
Posted by Dstl1, Thu Sep-10-15 06:15 PM
12894561, If you're the last person on earth
Posted by Paps_Smear, Fri Sep-11-15 07:04 AM
There really would be no point in leaving America. Everything that you'd think is wrong with the country wouldn't exist anymore.

I'd move to an area where things like snow wouldn't be a huge hindrance for me to do certain things in. Would have to be water near by and also an area for me to hunt a multitude of different animals that I'd even consider to be edible and decent in the first place.

You may be good because the animal population would increase significantly since you'd be the only one hunting.

If I had a good means of travel it would be best to set up a living area in each state you travel to frequently in case shit gets rough you can shack up for the night.

I love stuff like this lol.
12894573, I wonder if basic utilities
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Sep-11-15 07:58 AM
like electricity, gas, and water would still run if I would be the last person on earth. I doubt I'd want to leave the US since traveling on water would seem to be too dangerous a prospect being alone. I suppose I'd have to get my hunting game up to par since I'd imagine animals would be very plentiful since urban areas would be obsolete. And reading up on farming would have to be a necessity as well.
12895027, no they wouldn't. who would run them?
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Sep-11-15 04:22 PM
12894595, y'all ever see the Life After People series?
Posted by BigJazz, Fri Sep-11-15 08:29 AM
it shows what would happen on earth if every human disappeared. i was looking at the timeline on the link below which gives you a highlight of what they said would happen. this is what the last person on earth would have to look forward to.

http://lifeafterpeople.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
12894891, Is that on Netflix?
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Sep-11-15 01:45 PM
I'll give Netflix a search when I get home tonight. I am curious if basic utilities would still function in the lone human on earth situation. I'm guessing no since folks do with for gas/electric/water companies for a reason.
12894906, not right now. i downloaded them a while back. they're on youtube
Posted by BigJazz, Fri Sep-11-15 01:56 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=laugh&biw=1920&bih=955&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAGoVChMI06jhydPvxwIVy8yACh1tSwF4&dpr=1#q=life+after+people+youtube&tbm=vid

12894929, It still airs on the History channel right now...
Posted by StephBMore, Fri Sep-11-15 02:19 PM
I caught two episodes last weekend.
12894948, Sling TV to the rescue
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Sep-11-15 02:40 PM
Hopefully that's a show History Channel has archived so I can watch the old episodes I missed. Many thanks.
12895151, Wow things go to shit real fast
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Sat Sep-12-15 11:23 AM
Like I said, get the hell away from nuclear power plants.
12894604, I would stay in america, but far away from Nuclear power plants
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Fri Sep-11-15 08:46 AM
I mean they pretty much can run themselves I heard but I'm sure something will happen and when the meltdown I don't want to be anywhere near one of them.
12894747, i wouldnt even leave Michigan. for what?
Posted by cgonz00cc, Fri Sep-11-15 11:43 AM
I wouldnt be able to get closer to any more fresh water than im already around

There is all kinds of agriculture

And most importantly a ton of unspoiled nature. That means this predator will have hella prey.
12894787, Winter.
Posted by MEAT, Fri Sep-11-15 12:24 PM
12894768, anyone thinking of getting in a boat and crossing the seas
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Sep-11-15 11:59 AM
is a fucking idiot

12894775, Pretty much
Posted by Paps_Smear, Fri Sep-11-15 12:11 PM
Too big of a risk for something to go wrong. If it does, you're shit outta luck with anyone else trying to rescue you.

And I'm not trying to fuck with NOOO other animals other than the ones we got over here. I don't need Cecil's folks taking that shit out on me.
12894875, as big as the fucking ocean is... smh
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Sep-11-15 01:38 PM
even if I had a cruise ship I ain't fucking with no ocean.

why is anyone thinking of traveling internationally? lmao...

12894937, you would eventually need to sleep, is the ship
Posted by StephBMore, Fri Sep-11-15 02:25 PM
suppose to just man itself? what happens if inclement weather comes along while you sleep? suppose you hit a rift and float in the opposite direction and never realize it...too much can go wrong.

but you could go to South America...that's also considered "international"
12894960, like I said below... fuck S. America
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Sep-11-15 02:51 PM
I don't need to go international.

For what? So I could tell my imaginary friends I finally saw Peru?

Nah, I'm keeping it local. 48 states and I would prolly never go above VA, DC area.
12894776, Edit: You said person. nm
Posted by Neez, Fri Sep-11-15 12:12 PM
I play video games and watch tv all day and never leave the house except to get food
12894777, who has time to stop masturbating and even consider this shit?
Posted by illegal, Fri Sep-11-15 12:13 PM
12894946, I'm crying
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Fri Sep-11-15 02:38 PM
12894794, Why would I need to get away?
Posted by Kira, Fri Sep-11-15 12:33 PM
Crossing the sea is too damn risky because of everything that could go wrong.

Why would I move somewhere with animals when I'm essentially food to them?

I'd move to Portland and build a fortress. First few year would be doing any and everything like the show.

I'd chill in the White House for a month. Maybe spend one day in every mansion on the west coast. I'm aggressively repurposing everything I can find. I'd have a warehouse full of Tesla batteries on deck. Their powerwalll charger facility is getting raided.

12894903, if y'all scared to try the ocean.. why? I mean at this point....
Posted by PG, Fri Sep-11-15 01:55 PM
why is survival important? what you scared of? and what're you trying to achieve anyway?
12894932, 1. Most ppl wouldn't truly believe they are the ONLY person...
Posted by StephBMore, Fri Sep-11-15 02:21 PM
there will always be this hope that there is someone else somewhere, so that hope makes them want to hold on
2. A lot of ppl are still scared of dying. Period.
3. If you decide to cross the ocean and aren't prepared, you will die a horrible death. Nothing like being lost as sea, and starving. OR trying to fly a plane and not knowing what you're doing when certain things happen, and crashing and burning or drowning.
12894939, sure but if you think about it
Posted by PG, Fri Sep-11-15 02:29 PM
drowning or crashing is probably a better easier way to go that trying to ride out a terminal illness with nobody else in the world...

i guess you could just keep a bullet for when you need it..

the whole idea that I might not be the last person would be a reason to K.I.M. and search.. yeah I'd probably exhaust land options first... I'm just saying.. life is hard and in an empty world it'd be hella harder and lonely.. personally.not sure how long my desire to survive or fear of death would last.
12894942, i mean there 1000s of ways to kill yourself...
Posted by StephBMore, Fri Sep-11-15 02:34 PM
so if nothing else, you get a terminal illness, you can hang yourself. no bullets necessary. I think about all the different aspects of my life (including wearing contacts/glasses) and I realize i would probably never be prepared to do it alone...because I definitely wouldn't fly. And I don't have the faith in myself to sail that far.

However, I might would try short distances to see how I fair...like to close islands to see what I discover...but personally, i couldn't do it. I just hope if anyone else is around, they aren't a chicken and they come this way.
12894947, tell you what
Posted by PG, Fri Sep-11-15 02:39 PM
I'll keep an eye out for ya!
12894967, RE: 1. Most ppl wouldn't truly believe they are the ONLY person...
Posted by Numba_33, Fri Sep-11-15 02:58 PM
>there will always be this hope that there is someone else
>somewhere, so that hope makes them want to hold on

Looking for survivors in a lawless post-apocalyptic environment is a very risky proposition. It depends of course if the person/people you meet are collaborative or combative. Given my POV on how selfish folks are in this orderly society, I'd want to survive on my own in an extreme environment like the one posted in the original message.
12895001, i don't think it would be as risky as tv/movies makes it seem...
Posted by StephBMore, Fri Sep-11-15 03:47 PM
i think one on one, a person would be fine...there really is no reason to kill the only other person you come into contact with off the top. especially if they are the ones traveling looking for someone else to come into contact with...because if that person was a loner and didn't want to be bothered, he or she would stay close to their own area. a person venturing has hopes to encounter someone else most likely.

of course we wouldn't know until we were in that position but my first thought wouldn't be "this is risky business"
12894952, the point is to live as long as possible
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Sep-11-15 02:44 PM
at least that is my theory.

and going out into the ocean with limited water, food and huge whale animals and shit just doesn't seem like a smart idea.

12894962, yeah.. i guess I don't know what my goal would be... life would be...
Posted by PG, Fri Sep-11-15 02:54 PM
day to day...

foods going to spoil... electricity will be non-existant along with pretty much all infrastruture.. things might be cool for a minute but it'd deteriorate pretty dam quick unless you know your primitive survival on some naked and afraid champ type level..

you gonna be sitting at your fire living for the next can of alphaghetti or scarios you find...

you right of course.. fucking with the ocean is totally insane especially on some going to cross it ish as opposed to paddling out to the bay to fish... it's all a matter of what you're living for and how attached you are to continuing that i guess.. some things might be dangerous but with nothing really to lose and nobody counting on me.. i'm bored.. i'm lonely.. sure I'll blow something up for fun... sure I might try flying a plane.. folks crash those and live too... there must be some pleasure in life or it gets old.. in this setting it could get old quick imo.
12894935, I would likely wonder around...
Posted by StephBMore, Fri Sep-11-15 02:24 PM
but I would find a map, find a car, fill it with food, (non pershables), and ride down the coast. I'd definitely visit South America, visit different countries, enjoy the sites. But this is really dependent on what happened to the world and what position I am in but one would have to have weapons and foods and a way to get around.

but i wouldn't go to europe or asia or africa...even if i did read about how to fly/boat, i wouldn't trust myself to be able to handle that all the time. especially boating...so many skilled captains have been lost at sea. nah i will just stay on this side of the world.
12894955, man, fuck South America and all that exotic shit...
Posted by legsdiamond, Fri Sep-11-15 02:47 PM
give me land, food, water and I'm good driving around America.

No way I'm going to a hot ass climate in S. America so I can get bit by a bug and die.

12895004, Surfing
Posted by MEAT, Fri Sep-11-15 03:48 PM
12895006, its things in N.A. that could kill you too!
Posted by StephBMore, Fri Sep-11-15 03:49 PM
i mean, what else you got to do? you could go state to state and chill if you wanted to but eventually you might get bored, then you'd be like...what else is there? Canada and Mexico...I actually like warm weather so I'd be somewhere near a beach...but then again, without the weather ppl letting me know what's up, i might end up dying in a hurricane.
12895153, Shit, didn't even think of potential weather.
Posted by MEAT, Sat Sep-12-15 11:36 AM
12894940, Take over a dairy farm.
Posted by Tw3nty, Fri Sep-11-15 02:33 PM
12895029, I honestly don't think most humans would last long
Posted by justin_scott, Fri Sep-11-15 04:24 PM
even if you found food, water, etc, the loneliness would destroy your mind over time. maybe i'm wrong, but i don't think i could live for too long without any people at all.
12895145, leave Houston go back to MA, prolly settle on cape cod.
Posted by Oakley, Sat Sep-12-15 10:15 AM
eat lots of seafood.