Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectRe: Giving up ethnicity in exchange for supremacy
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12887573&mesg_id=12888602
12888602, Re: Giving up ethnicity in exchange for supremacy
Posted by Atillah Moor, Thu Aug-27-15 03:22 PM
My outlook is largely formed from the overall historic record of US Emigration, combined with my experiences with and observations of White culture.

The PBS documentary on prohibition I think gives a good amount of insight into how in the beginning those arriving from Europe were barely accepted at all by the majority of American Whites and touches on a facet of how they became accepted, however the race aspect is not really given much attention but the ethnic conflict is.

Any historic reference on the Irish who came to America during the potato famine and found themselves initially working alongside than competing against blacks for jobs-- which in and of itself is an overarching theme when it comes to black and newly immigrant interaction. Any book on that is as good a place as any to start, but I can't think of any one resource in regard to that though.

There is a book I've been meaning to read myself but have discussed with those who have read it which is:

How Jews Became White Folks and What That Says About Race in
by Karen Brodkin

I grew up around a good amount of Jewish culture though so I thought I pretty much knew the gist of it, but I do plan to read it.

*Did you know tap dance is the product of Irish and African American interaction? I learned that from a white dance major who specialized in Irish dance. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it.