Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectis that term used in reference to white dating dynamics?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12887573&mesg_id=12888527
12888527, is that term used in reference to white dating dynamics?
Posted by Atillah Moor, Thu Aug-27-15 02:16 PM
First if one is using the term 'dating down' there's already a problem. The phrase itself suggests that one is in some sort of position of superiority when the fact that women make less than men for the same money and that education does not directly translate to higher status or success e.g. Bill Gates, Kanye West, and other successful college drop outs tend to paint the concept of "dating down" is a fallacy.

One can date people poor in financial resources, language skills, or various types of intelligence, but a high earning construction worker who can be a stable provider is in no way "down" from a college educated women who may make the same or less. If one is dating someone with fewer resources than they have hopefully chosen that person for other reasons the find more valuable.

Second I don't recall directing anything in my post towards black women or at least that was not my intent. In fact I said I couldn't speak on it due to lack of observance. Personally I don't believe that for the majority of those whites who have high earning blue collar spouses that their partners consider it as having "dated down" this phrase is IMO another tool of white supremacy to divide black people and couples by portraying successful (that is the key word) blue collar black men as undesirable.