Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWow.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12887573&mesg_id=12887938
12887938, Wow.
Posted by denny, Wed Aug-26-15 06:51 PM
That's a very interesting and profound characterization. I totally see that....and haven't really thought about it in that way. Good post

Here's a random observation I've had that speaks to that. During the world cup alot of 'white' people cheer for the country of their heritage. So they'll have irish flags on the car windows. Or French, Dutch, English, etc. There is ALWAYS an eventual backlash. I will have at least 3 or 4 rants on my facebook feed about people neglecting their Canadian identity. 'If you like Germany so much than move back there'....that type of thing. It's like they're threatened in some way by people celebrating their heritage. It's like clockwork every four years with the exact same rants from the same people. I've always wondered what motivates that....it totally fits your characterization though. It's basically a way of putting people back in line.

In so many words....'You're white now. You're not French anymore. Don't take that heritage shit too far lest we revoke the privilege inherited in your new white Canadian identity. Fall in line'.

Another way I've noticed it. I grew up with this guy John who was greek. When we were kids....he didn't really care about his heritage. He was absorbing the anglo-saxon culture around him....hockey, kraft dinner, etc. But when he turned 13 he had a bit of a cultural awakening. He started hanging out with more Greek people....started listening to Greek music....spoke Greek outside the house. This was met with alot of resistance from his friends. "What's with John....since when did he become 'Mr Greek' about everything? What a poser." It's like they resented him for exploring his heritage....and you can sense that they feel threatened by it somehow. Underneath their resistance...you can see how they're basically saying 'John, you're white. Cut it out with that Greek stuff'.