Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectOkParents: Back to school expectations
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12877957
12877957, OkParents: Back to school expectations
Posted by JellyBean, Wed Aug-12-15 09:54 AM
So, this is my first year sending a wee-one to school. I'm so excited. I don't know what to expect!

What are you expecting this year with your mini-mes?

Elementary school parents? increased reading skills? better vocabulary? stronger math skills?

Middle school parents? stronger math? learning a foreign language? history? jv sports?

High school parents? college prep? SAT/ACT/ASVAB? varsity sports? prom? homecoming? driver's ed?
12877959, she going to preschool or kindergarten?
Posted by KiloMcG, Wed Aug-12-15 09:55 AM
12877972, preschool
Posted by JellyBean, Wed Aug-12-15 10:01 AM
because her bday is in November...I'm hoping they move her up to kindergarten lol, in my overly biased opinion she is ready...

what about your lil guy?
12878024, another year of preschool. similar boat as you with the bday.
Posted by KiloMcG, Wed Aug-12-15 10:32 AM
his is in october, just 4 days after the cutoff. he's probably ready, but we're not going to push it to start kindergarten this year. we see some advantages of being one of, if not the, oldest kid in his class vs. being the youngest.

be prepared for tons of cuteness as you drop off, pick up and participate in activities/events at school.
12878044, I'm not sure I'm ready
Posted by JellyBean, Wed Aug-12-15 10:41 AM
I'll probably cry in the car...

I just don't want her to get bored, you know? I don't want her to be that kid who is a know-it-all and then becomes a trouble maker because she's "already done this before"...my baby is a talker lol
12878078, yeah, i definitely did on his first 1st day. haha
Posted by KiloMcG, Wed Aug-12-15 11:05 AM
>I'll probably cry in the car...
>

>I just don't want her to get bored, you know? I don't want
>her to be that kid who is a know-it-all and then becomes a
>trouble maker because she's "already done this before"...my
>baby is a talker lol

and yeah, i definitely get this, and it's pretty much the only concern i will have as well, but i think in the long run it will work out better to be older vs. younger, esp for a boy. we a little slower to develop than the young ladies.
12877979, the youngest in in pre-K. oldest here at homeschool w/ me
Posted by Utamaroho, Wed Aug-12-15 10:08 AM
had to send the little one so she could learn some "rules" because she's a diva and RUNS this place when she's here. i love her, but somebody else has to "break her" so after kindergarten, i can take over and homeschool after that! lol

excited to see how she deals with "structure".
12877993, I wish I could homeschool
Posted by JellyBean, Wed Aug-12-15 10:15 AM
but I gotta go to work :-(

so if she winds up liking the structured environment, you going to leave her in public schools?
12878110, I hope not
Posted by Utamaroho, Wed Aug-12-15 11:27 AM
i live in Georgia and my biggest fear is one of my kids saying words with a souther drawl. Plus homeschooling allows you to be faster and nimbler with educating (at least for me) and they learn not only MORE, but in more depth.
12878119, RE: OkParents: Back to school expectations
Posted by Tiggerific, Wed Aug-12-15 11:32 AM
My 3 year old starts preschool at a STEM based school. I'm excited, and a little scared. 4 days a week, off on Fridays. 9-2.

By the time she starts she will: be able to write her name (she's already writing the first name). Though sometimes she writes her E's backwards.

She knows her colors, how to count 1-30 (without mistakes), by 2s, by 5s, how to use safety scissors, her letters, the sound each letter makes, how to spell her first name and last name, her shapes. And, her vocabulary is quite extensive. Its almost scary! :)

I'm hoping that by the end of the year she's working on addition and subtraction. I know that they use the abacus so maybe she will learn that method. I really don't want her to be scared of math and science. And hopefully, she will be reading. We've been working on phonics and sight words here at home. I am looking forward to seeing where she will be by the end of the year.
12878275, She's awesome!
Posted by JellyBean, Wed Aug-12-15 12:47 PM
by default your awesome for making such an awesome person!

I don't want my little one to be scared of math, but her mama is! Especially if they go the core route. I struggle with that...big time