Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectyeah it's really hard...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12871128&mesg_id=12871179
12871179, yeah it's really hard...
Posted by StephBMore, Tue Aug-04-15 01:39 PM
i remember right after i got my masters i was trying to get a job at the mall...i went in person and filled out applications and got maybe 1 callback and i think that's because i had been the manager of a similar store in the mall two years prior. She asked me all these questions of why i wanted that job and not anything in my field...it was rough.

happened again in NYC when i lost my job, i finally had to look for part time jobs similar to my field. i got a job mentoring youth at a summer program and then another part time one with the health department. wasn't too bad.

perhaps you could see if there are part time jobs in a related or similar field? maybe even doing a few hours at a warehouse a day or something. that way if you ever decide to go full time, you already have an in.

or you could see if you could work with older kids (or adult learners) in alternative schools...you just have to be creative and really comb through listings. i'm sure you'll find something but don't be discouraged if it takes a while.