Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectyou just got arrested on some bull, who you gonna call?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12865158
12865158, you just got arrested on some bull, who you gonna call?
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
Been thinking about the Sandra Brand case and one thing I can't get over is how distraught she was because no one would pick up the fucking phone

I know they say she talked to family but that woman in the cell said she was going through it because no one was picking up the phone at one of the places she kept calling.

if I was in a tight spot I have people I can depend on.

but some people don't.

Who would you call?

oh, and this is another reason yall weirdos need to pick up the fucking phone. you never know when that phone call could be the one that changes someone's life.

Poll question: you just got arrested on some bull, who you gonna call?

Poll result (15 votes)
My SO (7 votes)Vote
My momma (4 votes)Vote
My cousin, aunt, uncle (0 votes)Vote
My best friend (2 votes)Vote
i aint got no friends (1 votes)Vote
Better Call Saul (1 votes)Vote

12865169, Here: Kwesi - in Texas: My Dad
Posted by MEAT, Tue Jul-28-15 10:58 AM
And Kwesi call my dad if it's here.
My dad is ride or die and resourceful. He'll handle who needs to be informed of what.
I love my lady, but in that situation I need action not emotions.
12865744, got it.
Posted by Kwesi, Tue Jul-28-15 03:52 PM
> And Kwesi call my dad if it's here.
12865172, Ghostbusters?
Posted by BigJazz, Tue Jul-28-15 11:00 AM

I'm tryna be better off, not better than...
12865178, I ain't fraid of now cops lol
Posted by 81 DUN, Tue Jul-28-15 11:03 AM
Beat me to it
12865368, I came looking for that or Ray Parker Jr. as an option
Posted by Damali, Tue Jul-28-15 12:24 PM
12865175, my lawyer
Posted by Cenario, Tue Jul-28-15 11:02 AM
nah, I ain't got a lawyer on dial like that but a lady I used to work with is a former DA so yeah i'd call her...and my wife.
12865180, ^^^^
Posted by LAbeathustla, Tue Jul-28-15 11:05 AM
keep a card on me at all times
12865612, Or one that I have used before.
Posted by Case_One, Tue Jul-28-15 02:33 PM

"Love your haters until they can love themselves and then love them further." ~ J. Case
12865176, The wife...unless it's for solicitation
Posted by John Forte, Tue Jul-28-15 11:02 AM
12865181, LMAO
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jul-28-15 11:06 AM
12865202, lol
Posted by Cenario, Tue Jul-28-15 11:19 AM
12865559, damn right
Posted by placee_22, Tue Jul-28-15 01:56 PM
12865177, MEMORIZE A RELIABLE PHONE NUMBER.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 11:02 AM
several times per week i'm in court w/someone who is being held on a cash bond where the judge has granted them a free phone call to someone who can help them raise bond money...and they don't know anyone's phone number b/c all of the phone numbers are in their phone. usually if they have their phone in their personal property the judge will order the jail to give the detainee access to retrieve a phone number. but if the person was arrested w/o having their phone on them and they don't have any phone number memorized - they're kinda fucked. usually my office investigators can help at that point though. however, last week i saw a guy who didn't have me as his lawyer and made too much money to have a lawyer from the public defender's office and didn't have his phone w/him and didn't know any phone number. his cash bond amount was $5000 and he needed $500 to get out of jail - just like Sandra Bland. AFAIK he sat for at least a few days.

anyway, my point - memorize a phone number for a reliable person. someone whose phone number hasn't changed and won't change, someone whose phone is likely to be in service, someone who will is likely to answer or at least use voicemail, and someone who can either post bond for you or can locate others who can help you post. generally it's best if this person lives in the city where you live but if not they need to at least be able to reach ppl who live where you live. b/c someone might need to actually appear in person at the jail to post bond.
12865185, i realized i barely know my wifes phone number
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jul-28-15 11:08 AM
and I don't know my sister's or brothers number.

Only number I memorized is my dad's and my aunt's because I knew then back before cell phones.
12865192, that's how most of us are.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 11:12 AM
we know phone numbers that we learned before the cell phone age. usually these are our parents' or grandparents' phone numbers. that's fine if our parents are in town and can post or can find others who can post.

but most of us should probably make an effort to memorize some reliable phone number other than our parents' phone number.
12865186, Can you pay for bond w a cc? If I were to get arrested
Posted by Latina212, Tue Jul-28-15 11:08 AM
Can I put that on my AMEX?
I'm so serious
I don't know how this process works
It killed me reading she only need 500 To get out

I read that some guy told her he was on his way
Never showed up and didn't answer her calls
Don't know if that's true
12865195, it varies.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 11:14 AM
here where i work that's allowed. and if the detainee has a credit card in their belongings they'll be allowed access to get their credit card to post bond. and they can cobble together several credit cards to get the money.

...but there's a service fee that MUST be paid in cash. i dunno that detainees are allowed to access an ATM in order to get that service fee cash.
12865201, Oh god! I never carry cash
Posted by Latina212, Tue Jul-28-15 11:18 AM
This whole situation has me shook
That could have been me
12865189, I love this site.
Posted by MEAT, Tue Jul-28-15 11:11 AM
12865184, Whoever number i can remember....and pray I don't get a bail
Posted by ambient1, Tue Jul-28-15 11:07 AM
and released on my own recog

12865199, this post just got me depressed as fck Joe..... thanks. *sadface*
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jul-28-15 11:16 AM

"Get ready..for your blessing..."
12865219, didn't know no one picked her calls
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Jul-28-15 11:34 AM
that's fucked up but, maybe she had strained relationships. her family mentioned that she was 'mouthy'.

anyway, i would probably call a friend first and work from there if need be.
12865222, also: PICK UP THE FUCKING PHONE
Posted by John Forte, Tue Jul-28-15 11:36 AM
if you're the type who doesn't answer the phone when you don't recognize the number, or don't check voicemail, you're part of the problem
12865231, exactly why i'm sadfacing right now... my wife STAY not answering the phone
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jul-28-15 11:40 AM
hell...even when she DO know who's calling she won't answer it.
Especially when she's at work. That's one thing we REALLY get into it about. She'll go to a meeting and leave her phone behind because "she doesn't need it" in the meeting.... smh
I try to convey to her that now that it's more than just the two of us, she really needs to be anchored to that phone in case of emergency....

12865248, lol x2
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 11:43 AM
remember the time before cell phones?

surely you do.

your world WILL keep turning even if your wife doesn't have her phone tethered to her at all times so that you can reach her whenever YOU want. just like the world spun on its axis for like millions of years before we had phones on us all the time. it's fine. just breathe deep.
12865263, Nah, you aren't hearing me. It's a matter of HER and ME both being
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jul-28-15 11:49 AM
>remember the time before cell phones?
>
>surely you do.
>
>your world WILL keep turning even if your wife doesn't have
>her phone tethered to her at all times so that you can reach
>her whenever YOU want. just like the world spun on its axis
>for like millions of years before we had phones on us all the
>time. it's fine. just breathe deep.

each others emergency contacts and our daughters emergency contact. There are dangers in my line of work as well as the fact that my commuting method has inherent risks. If there's an emergency at school involving our daughter they're going to call both parents. Since she's in care here where I work, any sort of emergency may very well affect both of us...thus my wife is on deck and needs to be able to get that call.... She needs to keep that phone with her during the day.

12865275, i understand the principle of what you are saying. Can she
Posted by Cenario, Tue Jul-28-15 11:54 AM
be reached through work though?

if so, I don't see why her leaving the phone at her desk is a big deal. Unless she is just absent minded about her phone in general.
12865287, nope, if she ain't at her desk, the buck stops there. It's a direct line...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jul-28-15 11:58 AM
>be reached through work though?
>
>if so, I don't see why her leaving the phone at her desk is a
>big deal. Unless she is just absent minded about her phone in
>general.

No receptionist, or switchboard or nothing like that.... no option to "Press 0 for Operator" .... hell...I don't even KNOW what the main line phone # would be... and it'd probably be for somewhere not even at the same location since it's a Federal Agency....

Not really absent minded about her phone....just more or less doesn't see the importance of it all the time.

The ONLY reason I really remember and keep up with my phone is because I KNOW it's essentially the first line of communication for my loved ones to reach me.

12865294, oh ok...then in that case i'm with you. Shee needs to keep it
Posted by Cenario, Tue Jul-28-15 11:59 AM
on her.
12865330, I'm about to be in the same boat.
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jul-28-15 12:11 PM
my wife doesn't turn her ringer on after she teaches a class. Sometimes I will talk to her, hang up, call right back and she won't pick up.

then 5 minutes later she hits me back and tells me her ringer was off.

12865337, yes!! VIBRATE EXISTS FOR A REASON!
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jul-28-15 12:13 PM

12865338, lol sounds like the type of woman who be watching the non-hd
Posted by Cenario, Tue Jul-28-15 12:14 PM
channels aka my wife!
12865292, your parents raised you before cell phones.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 11:58 AM
look at how you turned out!

>each others emergency contacts and our daughters emergency
>contact. There are dangers in my line of work as well as the
>fact that my commuting method has inherent risks. If there's
>an emergency at school involving our daughter they're going to
>call both parents. Since she's in care here where I work, any
>sort of emergency may very well affect both of us...thus my
>wife is on deck and needs to be able to get that call.... She
>needs to keep that phone with her during the day.

...if your daughter's school leaves a message on your wife's phone she will receive it.

or maybe your wife should consider giving your daughter's school her work phone number so maybe she can be paged if she's not at her desk when the school calls.

but really...LOL. it's fine if the school calls and your wife doesn't get the call the minute it's made. we all managed to survive back when that kind of thing happened regularly. back before we all expected anyone to pick up the phone each and every time we called no matter what. the world kept turning.
12865303, back in the days, i had a netzero email account too.
Posted by Cenario, Tue Jul-28-15 12:01 PM
12865308, right. and i have used Western Union and sent telegraphs.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 12:05 PM
point - we have cell phones now and that's great. but the world still works the same way when it comes to the issue we're discussing.

the last time i received an emergency phone call - nothing would've changed w/regard to the emergency if i hadn't answered my phone. i wouldn't have arrived @ the emergency location any faster. nothing i said during the phone call or texts changed anything w/regard to the emergency. if i'd heard about it after i returned to my office after lunch everything would've been the same. well, except i would've finished eating my lunch in peace instead of rushing everyone in the lunch party out of Buffalo Wild Wings - disrupting my friend's birthday celebration.

12865318, so just to say, we used to do xyz and everything was fine
Posted by Cenario, Tue Jul-28-15 12:07 PM
is kinda silly.

I'm sure there are plenty of situations where missed phone calls in an emergency situation did have dire consequences....like sarah bland
12865331, i dunno that the missed calls in Bland's case
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 12:11 PM
had dire consequences. i dunno what was going on w/her and whether she might've attempted suicide even if any of those calls were answered. suicide kinda works like that - it's usually unpredictable.

again - the world worked just fine when we didn't expect to be able to reach each other 24/7 whenever. it works just fine today even though some of us who carry phones can't be reached 24/7 whenever. well, except for the unnecessary/unreasonable anxiety some ppl carry when they can't reach someone on the phone 24/7 whenever. but that's their problem.
12865326, it actually doesn't work the same tho...
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jul-28-15 12:09 PM
and given his wife's set up at the job it would make sense for her to keep the phone on her.

12865335, great.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 12:12 PM
12865327, Not the same at all.. My entire family & life was in Greensboro, NC...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jul-28-15 12:09 PM
Where everybody knew everybody... the world was a much smaller place back then for real. Everyone that was anyone of importance or able to assist was literally a phone call or a 5-min drive away.

>look at how you turned out!
>
>...if your daughter's school leaves a message on your wife's
>phone she will receive it.
>
>or maybe your wife should consider giving your daughter's
>school her work phone number so maybe she can be paged if
>she's not at her desk when the school calls.

Read my reply to Cenerio yo... it don't work like that. We don't all work in cushy office's with a central receptionist...

>but really...LOL. it's fine if the school calls and your wife
>doesn't get the call the minute it's made. we all managed to
>survive back when that kind of thing happened regularly. back
>before we all expected anyone to pick up the phone each and
>every time we called no matter what. the world kept turning.

it's not fine SoWhat. It's not fine at all... *lalalalalalala**covers ears**lalalalalala*

12865336, lol
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 12:12 PM
12865346, back in 97 my Dad called the radio station looking for me
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jul-28-15 12:16 PM
not the little local station. This dude called WAMO, the main urban station in Pittsburgh and told the jockey he was looking for me.

Dude made friends with the jockey so he had a direct line.

all day people were telling me to call my Dad.

..and all he wanted was for me to play his numbers.
12865352, LMAO!!!!!!!! yo!! ..for reall.. LOL
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jul-28-15 12:19 PM
this some 80's & 90's shit for real lol!

in this age of Apple Radio & satellite radio...smh...shit wouldn't even work... fckin New World Order man...

12865360, Lmao!!
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Tue Jul-28-15 12:21 PM

>
>..and all he wanted was for me to play his numbers.
12865482, your dad = #RNS
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Tue Jul-28-15 01:19 PM
12865617, amen
Posted by John Forte, Tue Jul-28-15 02:35 PM
12865522, LOL
Posted by Crash Bandacoot, Tue Jul-28-15 01:37 PM
>
12865526, he sounds like Kenny Sr on GKMC.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 01:38 PM
LOL
12865298, We had a fight about this very thing just yesterday
Posted by kevb, Tue Jul-28-15 12:00 PM
I was heated. The same shit, man! Meeting, my ass. You better text me right back nor excuse yourself.she didn't understand or at least admit that she did. Fuck you got a phone for if you're gonna leave it at your desk.
12865333, ^^^feels me^^^
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jul-28-15 12:12 PM

12865434, Ppl taking calls during a meeting? I have never seen this happen
Posted by Latina212, Tue Jul-28-15 12:56 PM
No one brings their phone to a meeting
Unless they are expecting a call
And notify everyone before we begin

Just cause I have a phone
Doesn't make me available to all 24/7
12865478, i spend most of my day unavailable by cell phone.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 01:14 PM
i can't answer when i'm in court. and i'm not allowed to bring it w/me when i visit the jail.

my ringer is off routinely from about 8:30AM until about 5:00PM at the earliest. i often forget to turn it back on after work so it could stay off until i notice it - which might not happen before i go to bed that night.
12865481, cell phones can do more than accept calls. also, if i'm in a meeting and I get
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jul-28-15 01:18 PM
a single call I might not worry much about it....but if my phone is blowing up for 5 min. straight, i'm excusing myself and picking it up.

Also, there's a thing called visual voicemail now...where voice messages are transcribed for you...most modern phones have it. And any Android phone can get it via Google Voice if i'm not mistaken...

12865489, yes if i notice repeated calls
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 01:21 PM
i'll attempt to answer if i can.

and visual voicemail != transcribed vm messages. that requires a separate app AFAIK.
12865509, Depends on carrier. VZW has it built into their service now..I think it costs
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jul-28-15 01:31 PM
>i'll attempt to answer if i can.
>
>and visual voicemail != transcribed vm messages. that
>requires a separate app AFAIK.

like a few extra $/month though. But I use google voice as my voicemail because it does it for free. Not sure how it works on the iPhone though....

VZW version is actually pretty capable and nice...but I just refuse to pay $ for it since i've been able to do it for years via Google Voice for free. Typical VZW though...they want to charge for everything.

12865519, i have 0 interest in paying for it.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 01:36 PM
i might use it for free. but not if i have to deal w/Google Voice. i try to avoid using Google for anything except email.
12865545, yeah, if you're anti google, it's a no-go. Test it out if you feel froggy though...
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jul-28-15 01:47 PM
>i might use it for free. but not if i have to deal w/Google
>Voice. i try to avoid using Google for anything except
>email.

It functions on the back of gmail. You can get the transcript emailed and texted to you as well as see it on the Google Voice app.

12865560, it ain't for me.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 01:56 PM
but it's neat for those who dig it.
12865488, also, who are these people that DON'T bring cell phones to meetings???lol..
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jul-28-15 01:20 PM
you look across the table at any meeting you're bound to see more than a few phones laying face down on that mahogany table. And what, y'all don't have pockets???
You make it sound like bringing a tiny ass phone to a meeting is a real burden. My big ass Note 4 rolls with me everywhere.

12865239, lol.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 11:41 AM
or nah.

that's why folks should know a number for someone reliable who is likely to pick up. and/or folks should know a number for someone who actually checks their voicemail.
12865258, Yes, and folk should know someone with good credit and deep pockets
Posted by John Forte, Tue Jul-28-15 11:46 AM
but we can't control that. We can control answering our phone and checking voicemail, tho.
12865262, i'm not going to answer every single phone call
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 11:48 AM
every single time b/c someone i know MIGHT be held somewhere on a cash bond. in 38 years i have not ever received that phone call except professionally.

my ppl know i am not the guy to call in that situation unless they're fine w/leaving a voicemail to which i respond later. but i don't answer random calls from unrecognized numbers b/c i get a ton of them due to a problem w/my phone number. again, my ppl know this about me. they also know that if i have the $ i'm going to post bond for them - once i hear about the need. lol
12865272, that might be fine for your current situation but once you have
Posted by Cenario, Tue Jul-28-15 11:52 AM
a spouse/child it should be different.
12865302, it might be different but maybe not.
Posted by SoWhat, Tue Jul-28-15 12:01 PM
i still wouldn't necessarily be likely to pick up random calls but i'd be on top of listening to voicemail.

and if i am dating a dude who is as freaky about this issue as y'all i'd work on him to help him calm the fuck down about it. and he'd work on me to have a less-defined sense of urgency and panic and hand-wringing. we'd meet in the middle, or one of us would change or we'd break up. lol.
12865313, I can see someone not picking up but not listening to messages?
Posted by legsdiamond, Tue Jul-28-15 12:06 PM
12865322, lol right.
Posted by Cenario, Tue Jul-28-15 12:08 PM
12865388, I never listen to voicemails and dont understand why people leave
Posted by ambient1, Tue Jul-28-15 12:35 PM
em
12865391, because they might be locked up dealing with some real shit!
Posted by gumz, Tue Jul-28-15 12:36 PM
this post is specifically about a great example of why someone would leave one and you still don't see why?
12865277, wife...before her it would've been my brother
Posted by gumz, Tue Jul-28-15 11:54 AM
his was the only cell phone number i had memorized for that very purpose..which for some reason i thought was necessary...still unclear whether they let you go through your phone contacts to call people but i would imagine that'd be an easy way for cops or COs to fuck with you.
12865398, need a 'my yt friend' option
Posted by infin8, Tue Jul-28-15 12:39 PM
I'd definitely call the wife, tho.
12865562, ^^^
Posted by Madvillain 626, Tue Jul-28-15 01:57 PM
12865400, My lawyer... not that I've ever been in a position to need to post bail....
Posted by Kira, Tue Jul-28-15 12:39 PM
I've had plenty of situations where I needed to call someone and couldn't because I was in an emotionally bad place. Had enough in the tank to deal with whatever was in front of me but not enough to converse about the situations at the time.

The best part about this is no one is around to speak on things they don't understand intimately when situations go south.
12865426, a lot of folks, prob is, I dont know their numbers by heart
Posted by rdhull, Tue Jul-28-15 12:52 PM
I have the numbers in my phone but I dont know them by heart (save for my better half but thats all I wold need anyways) what with technology making things easier now

Id be screwed...
12865586, My mom is the only one I trust to legit arrive the same day or next day
Posted by StephBMore, Tue Jul-28-15 02:14 PM
and bail me out...because even if she doesn't have the money, she can gain access to my bank accounts and get the money. Everyone else is mad iffy. They gonna come with all kinds of excuses why they won't spend the money to bail me out.