Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectWho's to say, tho?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12850900&mesg_id=12850972
12850972, Who's to say, tho?
Posted by ramaj1, Sat Jul-11-15 10:05 AM
Granted, I don't know Lenny or Lisa personally but based on their public personas, they both seem quite aware (and decidedly) proud of their black lineage. I mean, Lenny's songs include 'Mr. Cab Driver', 'Black Girl', etc., numbers that speak of race quite explicitly. He's always talked about his blackness at length. Lisa is BFFs with the super duper pro-black Cree Summer and rolls with a group of mostly black women who call themselves "the Pirates". So, I'm unsure if L&L are just so conflicted about their blackness.

You can have the most pro-black parents in the world but if they place you in a rich, isolated lily-white environment, you're wont to have some degree of identity issues. As an adolescent, your peers tend to have more influence than your parents.

FWIW, Zoe's black "wake up call" must have been a long time ago because as someone who's close in age to her and runs in similar circles, she definitely been into "black culture" for a LONG ASS time. lol.