Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectBlack Preachers need to speak more on Social Justice issues.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12848353
12848353, Black Preachers need to speak more on Social Justice issues.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 10:57 AM
Please start at 2:04 and watch this man WORK this Social Justice message into the hearts of the people and call them to action.

Dr. Jamal H. Bryant, I Can't Stop Crying
https://youtu.be/6KSwoVHIRSk

"Romans 10 : 9 says, "If you declare
with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,”
and believe in your heart that
God raised him from the dead,
you will be saved."
12848385, you mean... like they used to?
Posted by ThaAnthology, Wed Jul-08-15 11:35 AM
When the Black church was a galvanizing force within the community? Sometimes I wish for revisiting lol. Good clip. Thanks.
12848437, YES! We need to speak out more and worry less.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 12:06 PM

you will be saved."
12848398, it's so hard to separate the message from the messenger sometimes
Posted by bonamie, Wed Jul-08-15 11:41 AM
12848434, If you listen to what he said, he addresses that
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 12:03 PM

you will be saved."
12848857, that's the point, i really dont want to hear anything that he has to say.
Posted by bonamie, Wed Jul-08-15 05:02 PM
12849310, Why? What has that man done to you?
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jul-09-15 09:47 AM

you will be saved."
12848429, Yeah, I guess that's fine until folks want them dead so the truth
Posted by MikaDanteBrown, Wed Jul-08-15 12:00 PM
they're speaking won't interfere with their candidate getting elected.
12848443, For Christ I live and for Christ, I'll die.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 12:09 PM

you will be saved."
12848436, i agree. Rev Otis Moss III had this to say about gay marriage:
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Jul-08-15 12:06 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/28/otis-moss-iii-challenges-on-marriage-equality_n_1550449.html

My Brother:

Tell your brethren who are part of your ministerial coalition to “live their faith and not legislate their faith” for the Constitution is designed to protect the rights of all. We must learn to be more than a one-issue community and seek the beloved community where we may not all agree, but we all recognize the fingerprint of the Divine upon all of humanity.

There is no doubt people who are same-gender-loving who occupy prominent places in the body of Christ. For the clergy to hide from true dialogue with quick dismissive claims devised from poor biblical scholarship is as sinful as unthoughtful acceptance of a theological position. When we make biblical claims without sound interpretation we run the risk of adopting a doctrinal position of deep conviction but devoid of love. Deep faith may resonate in our position, but it is the ethic of love that forces us to prayerfully reexamine our position.

The question I believe we should pose to our congregations is, “Should all Americans have the same civil rights?” This is a radically different question than the one you raised with the ministers, “Does the church have the right to perform or not perform certain religious rites.” There is difference between rights and rites. We should never misconstrue rights designed to protect diverse individuals in a pluralistic society versus religious rites designed by faith communities to communicate a theological or doctrinal perspective. These two questions are answered in two fundamentally different arenas. One is answered in the arena of civic debate where the Constitution is the document of authority. The other is answered in the realm of ecclesiastical councils where theology, conscience and biblical mandates are the guiding ethos. I do not believe ecclesiastical councils are equipped to shape civic legislation nor are civic representatives equipped to shape religious rituals and doctrine.

The institution of marriage is not under attack as a result of the President’s words. Marriage was under attack years ago by men who viewed women as property and children as trophies of sexual prowess. Marriage is under attack by low wages, high incarceration, unfair tax policy, unemployment, and lack of education. Marriage is under attack by clergy who proclaim monogamy yet think nothing of stepping outside the bonds of marriage to have multiple affairs with “preaching groupies.” Same-gender couples did not cause the high divorce rate, but our adolescent views of relationships and our inability as a community to come to grips with the ethic of love and commitment did. We still confuse sex with love and romance with commitment.

My father, who is a veteran of the civil rights movement and retired pastor, eloquently stated the critical nature of this election when speaking to ministers this past week who claim they will pull support from the President as a result of his position. He stated, “Our Ancestors prayed for 389 years to place a person of color in the White House. They led over 200 slave revolts, fought in 11 wars, one being a civil war where over 600,000 people died. Our mothers fought and were killed for women’s suffrage, our grandparents were lynched for the civil rights bill of 1964 and the voting rights act of 1965…my father never had the opportunity to vote and I believe it is my sacred duty to pull the lever for every member of my family who was denied the right to vote. I will not allow narrow-minded ministers or regressive politicians the satisfaction of keeping me from my sacred right to vote to shape the future for my grandchildren.”

“The institution of marriage is not under attack as a result of the President’s words.”

Gay and lesbian citizens did not cause the economic crash, foreclosures, and attack upon health care. Poor underfunded schools were not created because people desire equal protection under the law. We have much work to do as a community, and to claim the President of the United States must hold your theological position is absurd. He is President of the United States of America not the President of the Baptist convention or Bishop of the Sanctified or Holiness Church. He is called to protect the rights of Jew and Gentile, male and female, young and old, Gay and straight, black and white, Atheist and Agnostic. It should be noted the President offered no legislation, or executive order, or present an argument before the Supreme Court. He simply stated his personal conviction.

If we dare steal away from the noise of this debate, we will realize as a church we are called to “Do justice, live mercy and walk humbly with God.” Gay people have never been the enemy; and when we use rhetoric to suggest they are the source of our problems we lie on God and cause tears to flow from the eyes of Christ.

I am not asking you to change your position, but I am stating we must stay in dialogue and not allow our own personal emotional prejudices or doctrines to prevent us from seeing the possibilities of a beloved community.

November is fast approaching, and the spirits of Ella Baker, Septima Clarke, Fannie Lou Hammer, Rosa Parks, A. Phillip Randolph, James Orange, Medgar Evers and Martin Luther, King Jr. stand in the balcony of heaven raising the question, “Will you do justice, live mercy and walk humbly with our God?” Emmitt Till and the four little girls who were assassinated in Alabama during worship did not die for a Sunday sermonic sound bite to show disdain for one group of God’s people. They were killed by an evil act enacted by men who believed in doctrine over love. We serve in ministry this day because of a man who believed in love over doctrine and died on a hill called Calvary in a dusty Palestinian community 2,000 years ago. Do not let the rhetoric of this debate keep you from the polls, my friend.

Asking you to imagine a beloved community, your brother and friend,

Otis Moss, III
Senior Pastor
Trinity UCC
12848441, Yeah. We know. That's been posted here a few time. But this ain't that
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 12:08 PM
And Rev. Moss isn't one of the preachers, he's one of the panders.

you will be saved."
12848447, That's a lie.
Posted by MikaDanteBrown, Wed Jul-08-15 12:10 PM
12848449, That's my opinion. Based on what he's said and what I know.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 12:11 PM

you will be saved."
12848453, It's still a lie and it amazes me that you can find a way to defend
Posted by MikaDanteBrown, Wed Jul-08-15 12:13 PM
any and every other "minister of the gospel," but take issue with Rev. Otis Moss III. You have a problem with an all-inclusive message of love?
12848458, It's all good. We can disagree and still be respectful
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 12:18 PM
> any and every other "minister of the gospel," but take issue
>with Rev. Otis Moss III. You have a problem with an
>all-inclusive message of love?

It's all good. You're focusing on the wrong issue. But it's all good. And love has nothing to do with acceptance.

you will be saved."
12848460, It's not all good, but I'll end it here because I know what I've been
Posted by MikaDanteBrown, Wed Jul-08-15 12:19 PM
taught at home AND at church about arguing with a certain kind of person.
12848477, ..
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 12:34 PM
12848492, ..
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 12:44 PM
12848606, WOW...
Posted by ThaAnthology, Wed Jul-08-15 02:13 PM
12848612, Doc, these folks are doing exactly what he said in the video.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:15 PM

you will be saved."
12848559, You argue like a 10 year old.
Posted by Triptych, Wed Jul-08-15 01:39 PM
12848586, .
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:02 PM
12848587, 4
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:02 PM

you will be saved."
12848451, lol.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Jul-08-15 12:13 PM
12848557, i see why people dont like you on here... you are a hypocrite
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jul-08-15 01:38 PM
if a preacher wants a mansion and a yacht its cool but if he preached inclusion he is pandering.

smh...
12848570, which makes this even more laughable
Posted by teefiveten, Wed Jul-08-15 01:52 PM
those of us actually working in social justice fields have no time for this. the whole point is that EVERYONE gets equity, not just people we like or think are good. i have to put someone in an affordable home who hates my guts for being black. or being a woman. but that's how it works. if i can't do it, then i have to leave the field, otherwise i am impeding all efforts. if you're a person of the cloth actively seeking to supress the rights of others, there's no place for you. period. you're a part of the problem.

12848578, yup. i get racists and homophobes out of jail regularly.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Jul-08-15 01:55 PM
LOL

i do it b/c i'm committed to the cause - if i only worked for clients i like i'd almost never work.

12848582, It's both heartening and sad
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 01:57 PM
>those of us actually working in social justice fields have no
>time for this. the whole point is that EVERYONE gets equity,
>not just people we like or think are good. i have to put
>someone in an affordable home who hates my guts for being
>black. or being a woman. but that's how it works. if i can't
>do it, then i have to leave the field, otherwise i am impeding
>all efforts. if you're a person of the cloth actively seeking
>to supress the rights of others, there's no place for you.
>period. your'e a part of the problem.
>

That these organisations have a better grasp on Jesus' love than some of these churches do.
12848595, true, but thankfully
Posted by teefiveten, Wed Jul-08-15 02:06 PM
both organizations i've worked at were started by a coalition of faiths and/or largely lead by christian ministers

i have to think back to that when i see stuff like this and be reminded that there actually are christians who know/do better.
12848620, yup.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 02:18 PM
12848634, RE: true, but thankfully
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 02:26 PM
>both organizations i've worked at were started by a coalition
>of faiths and/or largely lead by christian ministers
>
>i have to think back to that when i see stuff like this and be
>reminded that there actually are christians who know/do
>better.

It's a shame that other voices can distract from this point.
12848588, my god, yes.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 02:03 PM
12848665, tell em sis
Posted by lfresh, Wed Jul-08-15 02:41 PM
>those of us actually working in social justice fields have no
>time for this. the whole point is that EVERYONE gets equity,
>not just people we like or think are good. i have to put
>someone in an affordable home who hates my guts for being
>black. or being a woman. but that's how it works. if i can't
>do it, then i have to leave the field, otherwise i am impeding
>all efforts. if you're a person of the cloth actively seeking
>to supress the rights of others, there's no place for you.
>period. you're a part of the problem.
>
>

~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.
12848605, What? What am I being Hypocritical about?
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:13 PM
Man, save the confusion. I'm in here talking about Rev. Bryant doing something active in his community and you're being messy.

No, Wait. He mentioned you in the sermon.

you will be saved."
12848899, nah, YOU are being messy.
Posted by legsdiamond, Wed Jul-08-15 05:40 PM

12848662, now you get it
Posted by lfresh, Wed Jul-08-15 02:41 PM
not the first time he's done this hypocritical type deal
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
12848608, the 'panders' are the people clinging to bigotry despite how irrational it is
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Jul-08-15 02:14 PM
then disingenuously painting the criticism they receive as being "persecuted" in the face of actual violence against people of faith

12848854, ^^^^^^^^^^
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Jul-08-15 04:59 PM
>then disingenuously painting the criticism they receive as
>being "persecuted" in the face of actual violence against
>people of faith
>
>
12848486, A wonder message that refuses to pander to hate and discrimination
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 12:41 PM
More of this and less asking for jet money thanks.

We need to preach a love that searches for social justice that honours society's pluarity of (non) faith and lifestyles. We'll be able to better unite vulnerable minorities of all kinds into one force too big to ignore if we achieve that. Right now there are too many only looking out for themselves. White gays who don't support race issues. Minority men who don't support women's issues etc. Find the love, unite, and find greater social justice.

Messages like the one you posted are a good start.
12848508, 2
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 12:53 PM

you will be saved."
12848507, 1

you will be saved."
12848531, Lol. I agreed with you and offered another example in support of your point.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Jul-08-15 01:13 PM
But okay, player. Lol
12848534, SoWhat. Are you in the ATL?
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 01:15 PM

you will be saved."
12848538, nope.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Jul-08-15 01:20 PM
12848456, I criticize yo a lot.as do alot of us here..but when he on...he on
Posted by ambient1, Wed Jul-08-15 12:17 PM
white STATE leadership can't stand him, his methods or tactics

And to add.....his messages only reach a certain segment of our population

the ones who need to hear and heed give 0 f***s about yo...
12848496, I disagree, He's having a serious impact and media presence
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 12:48 PM
He's been leading pastors, churches, organizations and groups in a serious effort to address the social issues in B-More.

Rev. Bryant has been a real soldier in the streets and community.

you will be saved."
12848509, lol....there you go again...I'm HERE...he has 0 affect on the
Posted by ambient1, Wed Jul-08-15 12:54 PM
young boys

he got his following ....women

and the state (not local...aka white) government cant stand him
12848518, So let me ask you a question or three.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 12:59 PM
If Rev. Bryant had gang members, other churches, other community leaders, and other organizations partnering with him, do you think that they are reaching the "young boys?"

Or do you only think that people can only be an effective leader by addressing a specific group on their own?

And how do you know that every young boy has rejected his message to be responsible for the city and its actions?

you will be saved."
12848654, well allow me to retort
Posted by ambient1, Wed Jul-08-15 02:37 PM
If Rev. Bryant had gang members, other churches, other community leaders, and other organizations partnering with him, do you think that they are reaching the "young boys?"

No...I KNOW they aint reaching the young boys...those 'gang members' aint the real deal

Or do you only think that people can only be an effective leader by addressing a specific group on their own?

No...dude is a leader....everybody just aint gonna follow his lead

And how do you know that every young boy has rejected his message to be responsible for the city and its actions?

**turns on the news...looks at FB and all the RIP posts...goes outside and observes**

i won't be so shortsighted to say 'every'
but most....i KNOW don't... i talk to em...i deal wit/encounter em daily
hell...at least 4 niggas got slumped, including a triple homicide last night and another dude 2 nights ago, right by my barbershop....they talk...hell...my ex's cousin got got a few weeks ago...and her family is DEEP in the church and he wasn't poor, hopeless, and all that...he WANTED to be out there doin dirt

I applaud his actions during all this...and thought i stated such above...but ya'll/him/they REALLY don't have a clue as to the mentalities of these young boys.....not to mention they leaning towards islam anyways, but that's neither here nor there...

but yeah if u have the mentality of 'every lil bit helps' then yeah...the church is doin a hell of a job.......with grandma and aunt lee lee
12848677, Well, I think that it would be better served to partner with the brother -
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:46 PM
to help him meet and connect with the one's you say are not listening, rather than just saying what's wrong. Do you think you can help him?

you will be saved."
12848751, you mean along with the other dozen or so groups doin this
Posted by ambient1, Wed Jul-08-15 03:35 PM
already...working with him

unfortunately.... that doesn't work

it helps some...but doesn't work
12848765, So, you're not willing to help the brother?
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 03:44 PM
Or are you willing to help the brother?

you will be saved."
12848475, I don't think that's the problem. I think those preachers are out there.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jul-08-15 12:32 PM
I think Black Congregations need to hold their preachers accountable and stop following the charlatans paying for jets.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're
12848502, Exactly...
Posted by Starbaby Jones, Wed Jul-08-15 12:50 PM
A lot of people, black or otherwise, have fallen in love with prosperity preaching. They too busy naming and claiming material items to focus effort on social changes. They're sold on the idea that they are the exceptions to social norms. So, they don't feel the need to change anything, because they are blessed and highly favored.
12848505, You're trying to make a point using a poor stereotype.
And not once have you addressed the message of the video.

And there is a larger missing presence of active, outspoken social justice preachers that are calling folks to take REAL action.

you will be saved."
12848567, I agree with the message in the video.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jul-08-15 01:50 PM
I disagree with the notion that preachers aren't doing it. My point is that there are preachers doing it but they aren't the ones attracting the largest followings necessarily.

I think you missed that I was actually defending preachers in general.

>And not once have you addressed the message of the video.
>
>And there is a larger missing presence of active, outspoken
>social justice preachers that are calling folks to take REAL
>action.
>
>
>.
>.
>.
>"Romans 10 : 9 says, "If you declare
>with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,”
>and believe in your heart that
>God raised him from the dead,
>you will be saved."

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're
12848581, yes.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 01:57 PM
there are lots of pastors
that lead their flock in the social justice fight.

if megachurches used their influence to do that, we'd be dangerous.
12848589, Leaders reflect the people. We get the leaders we deserve.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jul-08-15 02:03 PM

12848607, good leaders bring out the best in ppl
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 02:14 PM
we will get there.
12848584, ^ Gets in this line.
Posted by Atillah Moor, Wed Jul-08-15 01:59 PM
12848600, There are no absolutes.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:09 PM
>I disagree with the notion that preachers aren't doing it.
>My point is that there are preachers doing it but they aren't
>the ones attracting the largest followings necessarily.
>

I think there's a different dynamic for larger churches which tend to have a more global outreach platform, with some local outreach point. All churches are not equal in outreach missions. It's like he said in the sermon some folks have lanes and some churches have lanes.

>I think you missed that I was actually defending preachers in
>general.
>

I do know of plenty of pastors that have a social justice theme, but the actual visible application is missing. IMO Plus there's a lot of silly politics in large churches.

you will be saved."
12848650, Social justice, regarding white supremacy, is a global issue
Posted by Starbaby Jones, Wed Jul-08-15 02:35 PM
There are many who suffer around the world, because of it. So, if the focus is on global outreach, why not focus on the global social issues that are at the core of people's struggles?
12848686, Some churches do what they can on accordance to other Governments.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:51 PM
>There are many who suffer around the world, because of it.
>So, if the focus is on global outreach, why not focus on the
>global social issues that are at the core of people's
>struggles?

Some churches fight social justice issues by building schools, providing wells, building homes, teaching good farming techniques, medical support, etc. All of these things provide support, meet needs, give hope, develop skills, etc. So that people can build their voice and develop a platform for change.

you will be saved."
12848710, I greatly respect the churches that do,
Posted by Starbaby Jones, Wed Jul-08-15 03:06 PM
but can you at least admit that a large portion of megachurches don't really talk about social justice at all?

All the things you mentioned are great and necessary, but they're addressing the symptoms of white supremacy rather than the actual cause. I get there might be constriction via some governments, but there was and is constriction from our government here, yet that doesn't stop you from calling for more preachers to speak to the social issues here.

I happen to see it all as connected, but it's hard to imagine that some of these churches want the same type of social justice I want, when they're touting material wealth/gain as a sign of God's favor.

It may not be intentional, but that's the message some of these churches are sending. At what point does the church evaluate itself for the messages it's sending out?
12848735, RE: I greatly respect the churches that do,
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 03:25 PM
>but can you at least admit that a large portion of
>megachurches don't really talk about social justice at all?
>

Ok, did you know that any church that has 2,000 members on the books is considered a megachurch? So, How can I go off and say, "large portion of megachurches don't really talk about social justice at all?" That statement would be totally false. And as I ran though the names of churches in my head, I can only think of a few that don't talk about social justice issues. But but not all churches are called to be an active Social Justice church as being in the streets. Some care called to by missionary churches and to other ministry fields.

>All the things you mentioned are great and necessary, but
>they're addressing the symptoms of white supremacy rather than
>the actual cause. I get there might be constriction via some
>governments, but there was and is constriction from our
>government here, yet that doesn't stop you from calling for
>more preachers to speak to the social issues here.
>

Everything is not about White Supremacy. But I do believe that every church has a voice that should be heard. So, in that regard, I agree. The Voices of the churches should be louder - world wide.

>I happen to see it all as connected, but it's hard to imagine
>that some of these churches want the same type of social
>justice I want, when they're touting material wealth/gain as a
>sign of God's favor.
>

But material wealth/gain is a valid message, just like physical, spiritual, and mental healing and well being. And not all churches focus on material wealth/gain as the core of their message. In fact, that message has faded.

>It may not be intentional, but that's the message some of
>these churches are sending. At what point does the church
>evaluate itself for the messages it's sending out?
>

Some churches do a lot of things, but they may not do them all the time.

you will be saved."
12848773, Dude, I used to live in Dallas...
Posted by Starbaby Jones, Wed Jul-08-15 03:50 PM

>Ok, did you know that any church that has 2,000 members on the
>books is considered a megachurch? So, How can I go off and
>say, "large portion of megachurches don't really talk about
>social justice at all?" That statement would be totally false.
>And as I ran though the names of churches in my head, I can
>only think of a few that don't talk about social justice
>issues. But but not all churches are called to be an active
>Social Justice church as being in the streets. Some care
>called to by missionary churches and to other ministry
>fields.

I know what a megachurch is and I can think of maybe two that did. Maybe it's different in ATL. So, I'm willing to concede that.

>>All the things you mentioned are great and necessary, but
>>they're addressing the symptoms of white supremacy rather
>than
>>the actual cause. I get there might be constriction via some
>>governments, but there was and is constriction from our
>>government here, yet that doesn't stop you from calling for
>>more preachers to speak to the social issues here.
>>
>
>Everything is not about White Supremacy. But I do believe that
>every church has a voice that should be heard. So, in that
>regard, I agree. The Voices of the churches should be louder -
>world wide.

You're right, there's poverty, misogyny, homophobia (I know you don't support homosexuality, but surely you don't agree that people should be killed for being gay)...but they are all connected to the people in power in power worldwide blocking access to power from those who do not fit into a very specific homogenous group.

>>I happen to see it all as connected, but it's hard to
>imagine
>>that some of these churches want the same type of social
>>justice I want, when they're touting material wealth/gain as
>a
>>sign of God's favor.
>>
>
>
>But material wealth/gain is a valid message, just like
>physical, spiritual, and mental healing and well being. And
>not all churches focus on material wealth/gain as the core of
>their message. In fact, that message has faded.

I don't fully agree with this, but I don't want to get stuck in the mud with it. Here's the thing, I've been in the church fully and I've distanced myself from it. The perspectives are completely different. You may think that message has faded, but I can tell you from the litany of FB posts I see on a daily, it's still going strong. In a climate where people are hurting financially, through no fault of their own, that message is discordant with the rest of the community.

So, when people see a pastor asking for a jet or to build a multimillion dollar facility (when they have a perfectly fine facility), while people are suffering and going through it, it just doesn't seem the church is for the community's benefit. If it is, they need to do a better job of selling it. We've never had a lull from injustice, yet churches have been silent for years and they need to own that. I don't know if they'll ever regain their former place of prominence, but any voice for real justice is welcome.

>>It may not be intentional, but that's the message some of
>>these churches are sending. At what point does the church
>>evaluate itself for the messages it's sending out?
>>
>
>
>Some churches do a lot of things, but they may not do them all
>the time.

I'm not trying to be funny, but I don't know what you're trying to say here.
12848789, Ok. Thanks for talking. I have to go.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 03:59 PM
>
>
>>Ok, did you know that any church that has 2,000 members on
>the
>>books is considered a megachurch? So, How can I go off and
>>say, "large portion of megachurches don't really talk about
>>social justice at all?" That statement would be totally
>false.
>>And as I ran though the names of churches in my head, I can
>>only think of a few that don't talk about social justice
>>issues. But but not all churches are called to be an active
>>Social Justice church as being in the streets. Some care
>>called to by missionary churches and to other ministry
>>fields.
>
>I know what a megachurch is and I can think of maybe two that
>did. Maybe it's different in ATL. So, I'm willing to concede
>that.
>
>>>All the things you mentioned are great and necessary, but
>>>they're addressing the symptoms of white supremacy rather
>>than
>>>the actual cause. I get there might be constriction via
>some
>>>governments, but there was and is constriction from our
>>>government here, yet that doesn't stop you from calling for
>>>more preachers to speak to the social issues here.
>>>
>>
>>Everything is not about White Supremacy. But I do believe
>that
>>every church has a voice that should be heard. So, in that
>>regard, I agree. The Voices of the churches should be louder
>-
>>world wide.
>
>You're right, there's poverty, misogyny, homophobia (I know
>you don't support homosexuality, but surely you don't agree
>that people should be killed for being gay)...but they are all
>connected to the people in power in power worldwide blocking
>access to power from those who do not fit into a very specific
>homogenous group.
>
>>>I happen to see it all as connected, but it's hard to
>>imagine
>>>that some of these churches want the same type of social
>>>justice I want, when they're touting material wealth/gain
>as
>>a
>>>sign of God's favor.
>>>
>>
>>
>>But material wealth/gain is a valid message, just like
>>physical, spiritual, and mental healing and well being. And
>>not all churches focus on material wealth/gain as the core
>of
>>their message. In fact, that message has faded.
>
>I don't fully agree with this, but I don't want to get stuck
>in the mud with it. Here's the thing, I've been in the church
>fully and I've distanced myself from it. The perspectives are
>completely different. You may think that message has faded,
>but I can tell you from the litany of FB posts I see on a
>daily, it's still going strong. In a climate where people are
>hurting financially, through no fault of their own, that
>message is discordant with the rest of the community.
>
>So, when people see a pastor asking for a jet or to build a
>multimillion dollar facility (when they have a perfectly fine
>facility), while people are suffering and going through it, it
>just doesn't seem the church is for the community's benefit.
>If it is, they need to do a better job of selling it. We've
>never had a lull from injustice, yet churches have been silent
>for years and they need to own that. I don't know if they'll
>ever regain their former place of prominence, but any voice
>for real justice is welcome.
>
>>>It may not be intentional, but that's the message some of
>>>these churches are sending. At what point does the church
>>>evaluate itself for the messages it's sending out?
>>>
>>
>>
>>Some churches do a lot of things, but they may not do them
>all
>>the time.
>
>I'm not trying to be funny, but I don't know what you're
>trying to say here.

you will be saved."
12848663, How a preacher going to say there are no absolutes?!?!?!
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jul-08-15 02:41 PM

12848737, Ok. You're just going to skip context and conversation.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 03:25 PM

you will be saved."
12848575, Amen
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 01:53 PM
12848493, no they dont.
Posted by rdhull, Wed Jul-08-15 12:46 PM
12848510, 3
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 12:54 PM

you will be saved."
12848554, 07
Posted by rdhull, Wed Jul-08-15 01:33 PM
12892750, lol
Posted by kinetic94761180, Sun Sep-06-15 01:25 PM
12848503, And Like Clockwork you can see the same few Spirits of Confusion
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 12:50 PM
running into a Case_One post. Some folks really have something to say, but the basic common few are only here to cause confusion. It's like they can't help themselves. Just wait for the rest.
you will be saved."
12848571, Name calling isn't productive Jerome
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 01:52 PM
>running into a Case_One post. Some folks really have
>something to say, but the basic common few are only here to
>cause confusion. It's like they can't help themselves. Just
>wait for the rest.
>.
>.

Once you open yourself up to Jesus' love and wisdom you'll find a way to respond to what a person says with reason rather than your personal prejudice against them.

Have a hug and a blessed day.
12848615, 2
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:16 PM

you will be saved."
12848639, Name calling isn't productive Jerome
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 02:30 PM
But if you really need a win today, follow up with another number substitute for your name calling, or one of your prayer come backs, and I'll know your spirit needs a lift.

Have a hug and a blessed day.
12848642, 2
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:30 PM

you will be saved."
12848653, Thanks Jerome. Jesus love you and keep you!
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 02:37 PM
>
>.
>.
>.
>you will be saved."
12848660, God's Love doesn't act like you act. So, you can have that version.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:40 PM
12848680, That's good, because I'm not God. I'm not Jesus. I'm imperfect!
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 02:47 PM
I don't love perfectly, but I am trying.

You may hate me, but that's why I go to Jesus for love, not you. You should try it too!

May Jesus' love and grace bless you fully on this day.
12848693, Well try somewhere else.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:56 PM
You can start by accepting Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior. You can declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, so that you will be saved. Then you can repent for all of the BS that you do regarding me and others. Then you can ask for forgiveness and move one.
you will be saved."
12848700, I love according to where Jesus leads me, not you.
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 02:59 PM
Because Jesus is my Lord, not you.

I won't repent showing you love, Jerome. That's not a sin, and you'll learn that once you learn to truly love yourself.

>You can start by accepting Jesus as your personal Lord and
>Savior. You can declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,”
>and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead,
>so that you will be saved. Then you can repent for all of the
>BS that you do regarding me and others. Then you can ask for
>forgiveness and move one.
>.

You have a blessed day in the meantime.
12848711, Again, you know about Jesus, that's it. That's the issue.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 03:06 PM
And like Jesus, You do not know me or my Father," ... "If you knew me, you would know my Father also." By your constant actions of deceitfulness confusion and lying, you clearly don't know either.

you will be saved."
12848717, I know enough to keep my marriage and honour my mother and father
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 03:13 PM
>And like Jesus, You do not know me or my Father," ... "If you
>knew me, you would know my Father also." By your constant
>actions of deceitfulness confusion and lying, you clearly
>don't know either.
>

and not have children out of wedlock.

I also know your accusations aren't backed up with the kind of proof you demand of others when they make accusations about you.

For surely:

37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.

38 This is the first and great commandment.

39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

This is how I know you're hurting for love. When someone treats you the way you treat me, you cry about it.

But that's OK Jerome. Jesus has enough love for both of us, and I'll stand by you in your time of need. We'll melt the hardness of your heart, buddy!

Have a blessed day.
12848721, Yeah, you just proved my point, but you're too blind to see it.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 03:15 PM

you will be saved."
12848726, Points raised from hate lack reason, Jerome
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 03:18 PM
You clearly hate me, so yes, I'm blind to your point, because I'm coming to this conversation with love.

Once you begin to truly love, you'll see that, and develop points with reason, not baseless accusation.

Have a wonderfully blessed day Jerome.
12848738, Bye.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 03:26 PM

you will be saved."
12848744, Say goodbye to your hate. Embrace the love of Jesus!
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 03:30 PM
Learn to love the truth.

Have a blessed day.
12848774, Man you must really enjoy hating God and Jesus
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 03:50 PM
Because your actions are nowhere near God the Father, the Son, or the Holy Spirit. You're actually exhibiting all of the qualities of a Jezabel Spirit. That's why you're so attracted to following me around and trying to cause confusion. You need to pray about that. I bet you actually wanted to punch your keyboard when I call your spirit by name.

you will be saved."
12848793, Sadly, hate and violence are your forte. They're not mine
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 04:01 PM
>Because your actions are nowhere near God the Father, the
>Son, or the Holy Spirit.

You're not the judge of me. Jesus is. When you learn to truly accept Him and his wisdom as law you'll stop trying to put yourself in His place. You'll be happier for it too!

>You're actually exhibiting all of
>the qualities of a Jezabel Spirit. That's why you're so
>attracted to following me around and trying to cause
>confusion. You need to pray about that. I bet you actually
>wanted to punch your keyboard when I call your spirit by
>name.
>

No, as Rjcc knows, violence is in your spirit, not mine. I'm using love to try to overcome your hatred. I'm passionate about helping lost Christians see wisdom and learn to discuss issues with clarity and empathy rather than hate and divisiveness. I want to see Christianity thrive as a force for unification, not division. You may hate that, but I won't let that hate stop me. If you don't understand the desire to persevere with someone instead of casting them aside with name calling and accusation, well, that's why I'm here to help you.

You'll get there buddy!

Jesus love you and keep you.
12849072, That Jezebel Spirit has you really twisted up.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 10:36 PM
Look at you. I say I'm praying for you and now you want to love me. How is that possible when you don't love God or yourself. Why? Oh. Because you don't know God or Jesus. You just know about them. And you got that right Jesus will judge you and the rest of the world. But I'm going to rebuke your Jezebel Spirit and ask that you confess Jesus as Lord and then repent for your awful sins.

Now, don't let that Jezebel Spirit use you again and cause you to respond back. You need to fight it.

you will be saved."
12849079, Unfortunately your hate keeps you from seeing straight
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 10:42 PM
>Look at you. I say I'm praying for you and now you want to
>love me. How is that possible when you don't love God or
>yourself. Why? Oh. Because you don't know God or Jesus. You
>just know about them. And you got that right Jesus will judge
>you and the rest of the world. But I'm going to rebuke your
>Jezebel Spirit and ask that you confess Jesus as Lord and then
>repent for your awful sins.
>
>Now, don't let that Jezebel Spirit use you again and cause you
>to respond back. You need to fight it.

I realise you don't want me to reply because you're scared to face the truth. But I have to shine the light of truth and love for your own good. That's the only way you're going to get through all this. You're going to pour all this hate for me out and find me still smiling and offering you a hug at the end of it. Because I surrendered to Jesus' love on that basis, and I know you can too.

That's why your rebukes go no-where. You're wrong and been wrong but your hurt and your anger won't let you see it.

But that's okay man. Ted's here to help.
12849081, That Jezebel Spirit is wearing you out.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 10:53 PM
You better ask God for deliverance.

you will be saved."
12849091, Ah Jerome. Wrong again.
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 11:21 PM
Like your previous beliefs, like your marriage.

Because if you loved the truth, you'd know I'm driven by love, not the emotions that drive your jaundiced view of me. Love doesn't wear out. That's why I can respond to what you say, rather than be caught in vain repetition like you.

>You better ask God for deliverance.

I already have. Now I'm getting His help to help you.

It's okay little buddy!
12849092, Ah Jerome. Wrong again.
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 11:21 PM
Like your previous beliefs, like your marriage.

Because if you loved the truth, you'd know I'm driven by love, not the emotions that drive your jaundiced view of me. Love doesn't wear out. That's why I can respond to what you say, rather than be caught in vain repetition like you.

>You better ask God for deliverance.

I already have. Now I'm getting His help to help you.

It's okay little buddy!
12849312, That Jezebel Spirit is wearing you out.
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jul-09-15 09:48 AM
It's wearing you like a pair of floral pants.

you will be saved."
12849540, That's it. Let the hate out on me.
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Thu Jul-09-15 12:19 PM
It's alright Jerome. I know your hate has you caught on a script that's bound your spirit and stripped it of love and imagination until it's down to vain repetition. You can let it out on me. You know I'm not abandoning you. You can repeat all day. You're out of love, you've exhausted your script. You just keep that hate burning until it gives into the truth and recognises love.

Don't worry buddy, we'll get through this. Make all the repetitions you like. I'll show you how unfazed the true power of love is. In Jesus' name.
12892746, Whoa.
Posted by MME, Sun Sep-06-15 01:21 PM
This exchange was amazing. How did I miss this? Where the hell was I?
12848511, "I Can't Stop Crying" he's definitely an okayplayer.
Posted by GrumpySmurf, Wed Jul-08-15 12:54 PM
12848627, I don't know if you did, but you may want to check the vid out.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:21 PM

you will be saved."
12848558, of 'these hoes ain't loyal' fame?
Posted by Torez the Judge, Wed Jul-08-15 01:39 PM
nah, player. Otis Moss, please and thanks.
12848621, Did you even watch the whole video?
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:19 PM

you will be saved."
12848719, Yes.
Posted by Torez the Judge, Wed Jul-08-15 03:14 PM
I disagree with the whole frame, since I don't believe in subordination of women. I more of a Christian egalitarian.

So while, yes, it's good that he calls men to listen to anointed women. BUT, his only role for women is to SUPPORT men reach their dreams.

He raises up women in one breath and subordinates them in another.

If there is still one fatal flaw in the social justice ethic of the black church, it's the refusal to acknowledge them all fully equal with men, in service, anointing and use of authority and power in the church.

I grew up on that. I have no use for it anymore.

12849489, paging Case. Paging Mr. Case One
Posted by double negative, Thu Jul-09-15 11:31 AM
ya gotta address this one.
12848583, Father Pfleger's latest.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Jul-08-15 01:58 PM
i could flood this post w/examples of this man's work on social justice issues. he's easily one of my favorite pastors of all time. he's never afraid to speak truth to power - including the Archdiocese of Chicago when it tried to remove him from his parish as part of a routine transfer. he and his congregation fought to have him stay - and it worked. i dunno what's gonna happen when he's finally gone. i dunno if the Catholic church has another priest like him waiting in the wings. but he's among the greatest.

http://wgntv.com/2015/07/07/father-pfleger-sues-3-chicago-suburbs-over-gun-store-regulations/

more info re: Father Pfleger - http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/the-holy-terror-of-saint-sabinas/Content?oid=874774
12848609, I love Father Pfleger. He's one of my favorite people.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:14 PM

you will be saved."
12848730, i agree that we need more preachers like him and others
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Jul-08-15 03:23 PM
who are willing to address social justice issues. i understand not every preacher is called to address those issues but those who ARE so-called really need to answer that call!
12848623, Hopefully the current Pope bodes well for Pfleger's replacement
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 02:19 PM
I wish you'd post more examples, it's inspiring.
12848673, quite
Posted by lfresh, Wed Jul-08-15 02:44 PM
>I wish you'd post more examples, it's inspiring.

~~~~
~~~~
12848733, oh yeah. Pope Francis might help keep F. Pfleger @ St. Sabina.
Posted by SoWhat, Wed Jul-08-15 03:24 PM
12848614, Black Preachers need to speak more on Social Justice issues.
Posted by ThaAnthology, Wed Jul-08-15 02:16 PM
i THOUGHT THAT WAS THE JIST OF THIS POST, NOT ABOUT AGENDAS PRO OR AGAINST HOMOSEXUALITY. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A POST ABOUT THE BLACK CHURCH. HOW THIS AND SO MANY THINGS BECOME ABOUT THE POSTER AND NOT THE MESSAGE... IS TIRED. I MEAN DAMN... IF YOU HAVE PERSONAL ISSUES WITH FOLK, ADDRESS THAT ELSEWHERE BECAUSE THESE THINGS CLOG UP EXPRESSION AND DERAIL GOOD POSTS.
12848631, Man, it's the same gang. Every week. The 4 to 6 people.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:24 PM
And then they live in denial as if they haven't done a single thing. Like we're stupid.

you will be saved."
12849484, BUT FAM
Posted by ThaAnthology, Thu Jul-09-15 11:29 AM
THE THREAD DOESN'T GET DERAILED IF YOU LEAVE THAT SHYT ALONE. YOU GO ALL COMBATIVE AND "RIGHTEOUS" AND IT JUST GETS EVERYTHING ALL MESSED UP.
12848652, RE: Black Preachers need to speak more on Social Justice issues.
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 02:35 PM
>i THOUGHT THAT WAS THE JIST OF THIS POST, NOT ABOUT AGENDAS
>PRO OR AGAINST HOMOSEXUALITY. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A POST
>ABOUT THE BLACK CHURCH. HOW THIS AND SO MANY THINGS BECOME
>ABOUT THE POSTER AND NOT THE MESSAGE... IS TIRED. I MEAN
>DAMN... IF YOU HAVE PERSONAL ISSUES WITH FOLK, ADDRESS THAT
>ELSEWHERE BECAUSE THESE THINGS CLOG UP EXPRESSION AND DERAIL
>GOOD POSTS.

For some people here homosexuality is a social justice issue, and SoWhat may have felt he was being inspirational in forwarding a message that supports those social justice efforts in the context of the Black church.

Sorry if that difference of perspective hurt yours and Case_One's feelings to the point where you took it personally. This is a message board and often topics don't stick to a predetermined script you might have in mind for discussion. That's hopefully the benefit of a message board, to open your mind to looking at a topic in a way that you might find unconventional. The test is whether you can respond thoughtfully or not.
12849492, TED... KEEP YOUR SNIDE. OKAY IT SAHOWS YOUR MATURITY LEVEL
Posted by ThaAnthology, Thu Jul-09-15 11:33 AM
THE POST HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HOMOSEXUALITY. THAT WAS AN ADGENDA THAT WAS PUSHED BECAUSE WELL, ITS CASE. SO FUFFLE THE FEATHERS. BUT THE POST WAS ABOUT BLACK CHURCHES SPEAKING ON SOCAIL ISSUES... NOT ONE ISSUE, ISSUES. DON'T LUMP ME INTO GROUPS SIMPLY BECAUSE I WANTED MORE FROM THIS POST.

YOU DECIDED TO RESPOND TO ME ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY THEN GOT ON A SOAPBOX... WASTE OF TIME. IF YOU KNEW ME YOU WOULD KNOW THAT'S NOT EVER AN ISSUE WITH ME.

THAT WAS JUST "PALIN" STUPID. AND NOW, THE THREAD IS GOING OFF TANGENT BECAUSE I AM RESPONDING TO IMMATURITY. SIGH.

12849970, RE: TED... KEEP YOUR SNIDE. OKAY IT SAHOWS YOUR MATURITY LEVEL
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Thu Jul-09-15 04:56 PM
So, if what I said calmly was snide, what does your response qualify as?

>THE POST HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HOMOSEXUALITY.

Only if you think homosexuality isn't a social issue. Considering how the church gets involved in homosexuality, I think it's pretty safe to say it is a social issue. Therefore, it's relevant, and has everything to do with, the church involvement in social issues.

>THAT WAS AN
>ADGENDA THAT WAS PUSHED BECAUSE WELL, ITS CASE. SO FUFFLE THE
>FEATHERS. BUT THE POST WAS ABOUT BLACK CHURCHES SPEAKING ON
>SOCAIL ISSUES... NOT ONE ISSUE, ISSUES.

One example was raised, as an example, not as an all encompassing statement as to the church's role in the community. If it's not what you or Case want to talk about, you didn't have to talk about it. The rest of us, who do find it relevant (wow, a difference of opinion on a message board!?) could have talked happily amongst ourselves. But Case_One had to be snide about SoWhat's example instead of ignoring it in favour of responses he thought were more relevant.

>DON'T LUMP ME INTO
>GROUPS SIMPLY BECAUSE I WANTED MORE FROM THIS POST.

What groups have I lumped you into? If you want more, put more in. Talking about what the rest of us have been talking about doesn't help what you're after.

>
>YOU DECIDED TO RESPOND TO ME ABOUT HOMOSEXUALITY THEN GOT ON A
>SOAPBOX... WASTE OF TIME. IF YOU KNEW ME YOU WOULD KNOW THAT'S
>NOT EVER AN ISSUE WITH ME.

Well, yes. You were upset about homosexuality being in this post, so I responded to you about it. I don't know what issue you think I think you have about it. I was merely referring to your apparent perspective that homosexuality is somehow not a social issue. If you've hit dogged on something else, that's your issue, not mine.

>
>THAT WAS JUST "PALIN" STUPID. AND NOW, THE THREAD IS GOING OFF
>TANGENT BECAUSE I AM RESPONDING TO IMMATURITY. SIGH.

Hey, if you feel a few ad hominems are an appropriate response to what I said, that's cool. I thought I responded in a thoughtful manner to your concerns, and didn't resort to name calling. Seeing as how this is a message board, people have different perspectives. Sometimes people will get passionately angry about them. The world still turns though.

You have a great day now.
12848681, it was on topic
Posted by lfresh, Wed Jul-08-15 02:48 PM
and only exposed case one yet again for his hypocrisy

people do need to keep in mind that MUCH LIKE THE FOUNDING FATHERS and OUR CURRENT POLITICAL LEADERS and BLACK MALE so called SOCIAL JUSTICE but really HOTEP dudes
and YEP the BLACK CHURCH

the blind spots that many may wish to assume aren't there

ESP WHEN TALKING ABOUT SOCIAL JUSTICE

is mainly not inclusive and double talk

you may not like it

but he did it to himself
again
~~~~
~~~~
12848685, I responded to the original post. Also, I responded to a derogatory
Posted by MikaDanteBrown, Wed Jul-08-15 02:51 PM
statement he made about MY pastor. I know what that man stands for and the kind of work he does.
12848703, You took something personal that you didn't have to.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 03:01 PM
My comments regard OM III are my own, based on what I know, and I have heard him say and write. I never addressed anything about you. You chose to address me, attack me and you took it personal. I don't own your feelings. But I do expect that civilized people can agree to disagree and still remain repsectful.

But, that's my expectation for humans.

you will be saved."
12849482, Also, I responded to a derogatory
Posted by ThaAnthology, Thu Jul-09-15 11:28 AM
THAT'S THE PROBLEM. INBOX HIM IF YOU HAVE A PERSONAL ISSUE. YOUR REASON WAS NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO DERAIL THIS POST.
12849907, You can't be serious. I did not derail this post. I responded
Posted by MikaDanteBrown, Thu Jul-09-15 04:10 PM
to statements he made that I found offensive. You want it to be one way but it's the other. He can't be wrong about anything? He's the only one with authority to speak on religious issues? If you don't agree with what he says you're insulting and derailing the post?
12848630, If they could do so without working religion into it
Posted by Selassie I God, Wed Jul-08-15 02:23 PM
Then I agree.

Previous track records of preachers ability to give leadership with minimal proselytizing isn't too good.
12848632, How would you do it?
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:25 PM
Oh, and did you watch the video?
you will be saved."
12848648, it can be done.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 02:34 PM
some coalitions don't say anything about God except that
God requires us to act for justice.

So that brings everybody but the most obnoxious of atheists into the tent.

if the focus is the cause,
even the evangelical preachers don't want to
run good ppl away by proselytizing.
12848646, the role of the church is so skewed that i personally dont and...
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 02:34 PM
wont look into anything a preacher says about social issues.

i fully understand & appreciate the role of the black church back in the day but times have changed & unfortunately I aint trustin no on in the pit.

not to mention i feel like they should be separate. when i go to a place of worship, i wanna hear him preach to me about God and how to mend my relationship wit him , i have enough news outlets for that.

12848656, god requires you to do justice ministry. it is a requirement.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 02:39 PM
what does the lord require of you but to do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your god.

notice there is no "or" in that scripture.

there are other verses, too.
we can go old and new testament.

if your church isn't doing justice work is not following god as they could (or should).

>wont look into anything a preacher says about social issues.
>
>i fully understand & appreciate the role of the black church
>back in the day but times have changed & unfortunately I aint
>trustin no on in the pit.
>
>not to mention i feel like they should be separate. when i go
>to a place of worship, i wanna hear him preach to me about God
>and how to mend my relationship wit him , i have enough news
>outlets for that.
>
>
12848670, Yep.
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Wed Jul-08-15 02:43 PM
This one is one of my favourites:

Matthew 25:31-46King James Version (KJV)

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

------------------------

Speaks to how we're often persecuting those who we see as the least of us, especially in the way we treat them and the names we call them.
12849088, amos told folks God HATED their songs, prayers, and sermons...
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 11:15 PM
if the folks doing it were not doing justice.

That's my favorite one.

12848684, ''justice work'' = social issues; politics?
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 02:50 PM
cuz thats what im talkin bout here. no i dont want my place of worship goin in on politics.

especially if at 1 cor 15: 24 it says he's going to bring an end to all government and all authority & power.

& also at eph. 1: 21 God says that he's above every government and authority and power.

12848713, working ppl cannot afford housing.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 03:09 PM
the church should be up arms
challenging that.

we have a prison system is jim crow. churches should be challenging that.

if Jesus was here today, would he be "staying out of politics,"
or would he be calling his disciples to start making a ruckus so that his ppl could be fed, clothed, and protected?

>cuz thats what im talkin bout here. no i dont want my place
>of worship goin in on politics.
>
>especially if at 1 cor 15: 24 it says he's going to bring an
>end to all government and all authority & power.
>
>& also at eph. 1: 21 God says that he's above every government
>and authority and power.
>
>
12848725, no i dont want my CHURCH touching it -- period
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 03:18 PM
i'm sure if jesus was alive a lot of things would be different and no i dont think he'd be into the politics, was he part of Ceasar's campaign?? He never enforced any politics

Jesus and his disciples would encourage those people to have faith in God and not overly stress about it just like he said at Luke 12: 28-31.

>the church should be up arms
>challenging that.
>
>we have a prison system is jim crow. churches should be
>challenging that.
>
>if Jesus was here today, would he be "staying out of
>politics,"
>or would he be calling his disciples to start making a ruckus
>so that his ppl could be fed, clothed, and protected?
>
>>cuz thats what im talkin bout here. no i dont want my place
>>of worship goin in on politics.
>>
>>especially if at 1 cor 15: 24 it says he's going to bring an
>>end to all government and all authority & power.
>>
>>& also at eph. 1: 21 God says that he's above every
>government
>>and authority and power.
>>
>>
>
12848739, then what good is your church?
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 03:26 PM
if the church ain't about
making sure our institutions reflect our values, then the church is anemic and all the talk about faith sounds empty.

nehemiah challenged kings and noles. jesus challenged kings and nobels.

if your church ain't doing that...

12848742, you tell me
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 03:28 PM
12848767, if your church is alive, there will be fruit.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 03:46 PM
how many ppl outside your church would miss your church if it closed tomorrow?

12848769, there are a million churches on every corner in the hood...
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 03:48 PM
where's the fruit?

12848772, some bear it, some don't.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 03:49 PM
we can't generalize.
12848782, i wonder why
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 03:54 PM
12848792, we get in where we fit in.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 04:01 PM
12848955, maybe less politics and more soul saving?
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 06:39 PM
12848977, jesus did not die to be your PERSONAL savior.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 07:18 PM
he was killed by poltical and religious leaders for
leading ppl to redeem this entire society.

he asked ppl to pick up their cross and follow him on that path.

that means, if our churches are not active in social justice,
it is our jobs to help us get there.

that means, if our criminal justice system is not righteous,
it is our job to make it righteous.

that means if people are being exploited by systemic oppression,
our job is to stop the oppression.

or, you can just say you are a christian because you are PERSONALLY saved, and just say fuck the rest.

it's your call.

what do you think jesus would do?

i mean, really think about that.
if jesus was here, right now, posting on this message board,
what do you think he would type in response to you saying
that he died as a martyr so that you could have PERSONAL salvation?

12848989, LMFAO!! What?! (btw I don't identify myself as a Christian)
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 07:36 PM
>posting on this message board,
what do you think he would type in response to you saying
that he died as a martyr so that you could have PERSONAL salvation?
12848990, read the bible sometime.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 07:38 PM
it's in there.
12848997, please show me, brotha
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 07:47 PM

>that means, if our criminal justice system is not righteous,
it is our job to make it righteous.

>that means if people are being exploited by systemic oppression,
our job is to stop the oppression.
12849006, what did jesus say is the most important commandment?
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 08:00 PM
answer: to love god.

and how do we love god?
answer: by loving other people as we love ourselves.

that's in the bible, player. several times.

if YOU were arrested as a child for a petty misdemeanor,
would YOU think that was unfair? would you want ppl to come to your aid, or not?

if YOU came out of prison and couldn't find a job after you
paid your debt to society, would you think that was fair, or not?

would you want society to keep oppressing you,
or would you want society to be more just?

since we all want justice for ourselves,
jesus requires us to fight for justice for others.

so if your church ain't doing SOMETHING in the struggle against oppression...

God don't know the ppl in your church.

>
>>that means, if our criminal justice system is not righteous,
>
>it is our job to make it righteous.
>
>>that means if people are being exploited by systemic
>oppression,
>our job is to stop the oppression.
12849021, While I agree that loving God is the greatest commandment...
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 08:29 PM
You're stretching.

In all those scenarios I'd never think of going to my place of worship because there are organizations put into place to handle that for me.

2) if Jesus "requires" us to fight for the justice for others then why didn't he or his apostles appeal his own case when he was unjustly arrested? Wouldn't that be the perfect time to stand for his rights? In fact the bible says that he was spit on and hit by the guards, today we'd deem that at police brutality...where were his followers?

>answer: to love god.
>
>and how do we love god?
>answer: by loving other people as we love ourselves.
>
>that's in the bible, player. several times.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>if YOU were arrested as a child for a petty misdemeanor,
>would YOU think that was unfair? would you want ppl to come to
>your aid, or not?
>
>if YOU came out of prison and couldn't find a job after you
>paid your debt to society, would you think that was fair, or
>not?
>
>would you want society to keep oppressing you,
>or would you want society to be more just?
>
>
>
>since we all want justice for ourselves,
>jesus requires us to fight for justice for others.
>
>so if your church ain't doing SOMETHING in the struggle
>against oppression...
>
>
>God don't know the ppl in your church.
>
>
>
>
>
>>
>>>that means, if our criminal justice system is not
>righteous,
>>
>>it is our job to make it righteous.
>>
>>>that means if people are being exploited by systemic
>>oppression,
>>our job is to stop the oppression.
>
12849037, look, man...i am not a literalist.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 09:24 PM
it's a story.
you are supposed to read it to get the gist of the meaning.

(jesus said that, too... btw.
follow the spirit of the law, not the letter of it.)

digging into why jesus' disciples didn't ride for him
is missing the point, in this context.

what matters is that jesus would
rather the church be made of ppl
like MLK and malcolm x and the ppl that marched in the 60s and the ppl marching right now...

as opposed to ppl staying OUT of this struggle because the church shouldn't be "political."

that was my only point.
and there is no need to go tit for tat in scriptures.

if you think you know the bible better than me you do.

if you don't want churches to be in the struggle join one that isn't.

but Black Liberationist theology
is a valid interpretation of the scripture, and tbh it makes
more sense than an interpretation that justifies
pastors getting jets and spending all sundat preaching hell fire and brimstone.

it doesn't matter if you disagree.

we will be fine either way.
12849052, Its not ''missing the point, in this context...''
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 10:04 PM
The point is for Christians this should be the biggest injustice in HUMAN history!

Y'all should have been fighting for this but you didn't, so why fight on topics related to politics now?

Again why would Jesus rather have people in the "struggle" when he clearly said in Luke18:36 ( that's in the Bible too) that his kingdom was no part of this world & if it were then his attendants would have fought for him so he wouldn't be delivered to the Jews?

Im not goin "tit for tat" with the scriptures however, I am gonna continue to cite them it cuz we are discussing a topic on the church & the church should be based on Gods word, should it not?

Again I don't belong to ANY church

I respect your viewpoint on that too cuz iont think believe they should be paid but, that's a different subject for a different time.

>it's a story.
>you are supposed to read it to get the gist of the meaning.
>
>(jesus said that, too... btw.
>follow the spirit of the law, not the letter of it.)
>
>digging into why jesus' disciples didn't ride for him
>is missing the point, in this context.
>
>
>what matters is that jesus would
>rather the church be made of ppl
>like MLK and malcolm x and the ppl that marched in the 60s and
>the ppl marching right now...
>
>as opposed to ppl staying OUT of this struggle because the
>church shouldn't be "political."
>
>
>
>that was my only point.
>and there is no need to go tit for tat in scriptures.
>
>if you think you know the bible better than me you do.
>
>if you don't want churches to be in the struggle join one that
>isn't.
>
>
>but Black Liberationist theology
>is a valid interpretation of the scripture, and tbh it makes
>more sense than an interpretation that justifies
>pastors getting jets and spending all sundat preaching hell
>fire and brimstone.
>
>
>
>it doesn't matter if you disagree.
>
>we will be fine either way.
>
12849056, it's cool you think that.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Wed Jul-08-15 10:11 PM
we disagree.
12848657, In your opinion, how has the church become skewed?
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 02:39 PM
>wont look into anything a preacher says about social issues.
>

Why? Why not look at the video to hear what the man of God has to say to the community?

>i fully understand & appreciate the role of the black church
>back in the day but times have changed & unfortunately I aint
>trustin no on in the pit.
>

How have times changed? What do you mean?

>not to mention i feel like they should be separate. when i go
>to a place of worship, i wanna hear him preach to me about God
>and how to mend my relationship wit him , i have enough news
>outlets for that.
>

But you do know that the Word of God talks a lot about Social Justice, even smaller elements within ones personal life.

you will be saved."
12848706, $$$$ and politics
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 03:04 PM
1) i dont know that man, so to consider him as a "man of God" isn't something i'm willing to describe him as just because he's in a church

2) i'm just as interested in him telling me about his community as I am a YT man from France cuz he prolly doesn't even live in the community that he's preaching too & if he does I still dont wanna hear it.

it aint the 60's any more. all those black relics that we had that supposedly stood on "god's word" failed us one way or another. there isnt a need for me to hear about politics in the church anymore, thats outdated

give me an example so i can honestly answer. cuz iont think its fair to compare God's law to mans. re:But you do know that the Word of God talks a lot about Social
>Justice, even smaller elements within ones personal life.

>>wont look into anything a preacher says about social
>issues.
>>
>
>Why? Why not look at the video to hear what the man of God has
>to say to the community?
>
>
>>i fully understand & appreciate the role of the black church
>>back in the day but times have changed & unfortunately I
>aint
>>trustin no on in the pit.
>>
>
>
>How have times changed? What do you mean?
>
>
>>not to mention i feel like they should be separate. when i
>go
>>to a place of worship, i wanna hear him preach to me about
>God
>>and how to mend my relationship wit him , i have enough news
>>outlets for that.
>>
>
>
>But you do know that the Word of God talks a lot about Social
>Justice, even smaller elements within ones personal life.
>
>
>
>
>
>.
>.
>.
>you will be saved."
12848718, RE: $$$$ and politics
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 03:14 PM
>1) i dont know that man, so to consider him as a "man of God"
>isn't something i'm willing to describe him as just because
>he's in a church
>

So, you addmittedly don't know that much about the brother, but you hold a negative opinion about him is a way. Am I right? You can always listen to a few of his sermons to see what the consistent theme is and that would help you to get a better picture. Just a suggestion.

>2) i'm just as interested in him telling me about his
>community as I am a YT man from France cuz he prolly doesn't
>even live in the community that he's preaching too & if he
>does I still dont wanna hear it.
>

Social Justice issues are all through the Bible and they are often times universal. So, I'm sure that they apply.

>it aint the 60's any more. all those black relics that we had
>that supposedly stood on "god's word" failed us one way or
>another. there isnt a need for me to hear about politics in
>the church anymore, thats outdated
>

Tell me, what failed or had failed that worked in the 60's?

>give me an example so i can honestly answer. cuz iont think
>its fair to compare God's law to mans. re:But you do know that
>the Word of God talks a lot about Social
>>Justice, even smaller elements within ones personal life.
>

>
>>>wont look into anything a preacher says about social
>>issues.
>>>
>>
>>Why? Why not look at the video to hear what the man of God
>has
>>to say to the community?
>>
>>
>>>i fully understand & appreciate the role of the black
>church
>>>back in the day but times have changed & unfortunately I
>>aint
>>>trustin no on in the pit.
>>>
>>
>>
>>How have times changed? What do you mean?
>>
>>
>>>not to mention i feel like they should be separate. when i
>>go
>>>to a place of worship, i wanna hear him preach to me about
>>God
>>>and how to mend my relationship wit him , i have enough
>news
>>>outlets for that.
>>>
>>
>>
>>But you do know that the Word of God talks a lot about
>Social
>>Justice, even smaller elements within ones personal life.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>"Romans 10 : 9 says, "If you declare
>>with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,”
>>and believe in your heart that
>>God raised him from the dead,
>>you will be saved."
>

you will be saved."
12848734, i hold a negative view of everyone i dont know, dont take it personal...
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 03:24 PM
>>Social Justice issues are all through the Bible and they are often times universal. So, I'm sure that they apply.

again give me an example

>>Tell me, what failed or had failed that worked in the 60's?

you don't think that their have been "false prophets" who have mislead and bent the "word of God"?? Lets not play dumb, bruh
12848743, RE: i hold a negative view of everyone i dont know, dont take it personal...
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 03:29 PM
>>>Social Justice issues are all through the Bible and they
>are often times universal. So, I'm sure that they apply.
>
>again give me an example
>

Taking care of widows and orphans = taking care of the community and not marginalizing those who are economically deprived.

>>>Tell me, what failed or had failed that worked in the 60's?
>
>
>you don't think that their have been "false prophets" who have
>mislead and bent the "word of God"?? Lets not play dumb, bruh

You, you're just going to ask a false question to evade the issue dew up, and then say I'm playing dumb. OK.

you will be saved."
12848753, again: ''justice work'' = social issues; politics?
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 03:37 PM
how was that a false question? didnt jesus himself warn of false prophets , do you really want me to run down the list from Catholics to AME's that have bent the word?
12848781, Here you go Junior. Prove your statemnet.
Posted by Case_One, Wed Jul-08-15 03:54 PM
>it aint the 60's any more. all those black relics that we had
>that supposedly stood on "god's word" failed us one way or
>another. there isnt a need for me to hear about politics in
>the church anymore, thats outdated
>

Prove this ^^

you will be saved."
12848790, lol at Junior, thats my line OG. here's a small list...
Posted by Big Kuntry, Wed Jul-08-15 03:59 PM
http://www.awkwardmomentsbible.com/shocking-pastors-on-the-prowl/

AGAIN: how was that a false question? didnt jesus himself warn of false prophets , do you really want me to run down the list from Catholics to AME's that have bent the word?
12848658, what about service though? isn't that one of the cornerstones?
Posted by teefiveten, Wed Jul-08-15 02:40 PM
moving away from that doesn't demonstrate or reinforce that it is *our* responsibility-especially in the church. you serve god by serving others. you grow your relationship with god through acts -service, love of others unconditionally, prayer, etc

i sort of think the church is in a large way how you're describing it and i don't think that's a good thing. it's not about finding your own way. church is a community and should function as one.
12848682, i dont disagree
Posted by lfresh, Wed Jul-08-15 02:50 PM
its a case by case basis

as a whole
i'm highly skeptical regarding religious organizations
as a black woman
heavy side eye
~~~~
~~~~
12848956, #cancelchristmas then #cancelelections
Posted by imcvspl, Wed Jul-08-15 06:40 PM

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."
12849314, #CC2015
Posted by Case_One, Thu Jul-09-15 09:49 AM

you will be saved."
12849047, Rev. Dr. Otis Moss III:
Posted by Castro, Wed Jul-08-15 09:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Ktjqf9Vi4
12849785, too busy buyin jets