Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectcourt experience.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12846266&mesg_id=12846891
12846891, court experience.
Posted by SoWhat, Mon Jul-06-15 11:10 PM
i can't help analyzing these things w/an eye toward jury instructions.

i know at trial a jury would be instructed to consider whether the football REASONABLY BELIEVED he *NEEDED* to defend himself against an **IMMINENT** battery. i know the jury won't be given a (misogynist, woman-hating) instruction to consider what-if-she-were-a-man-just-like-him-since-these-bitches-want-equal-rights-they-gotta-take-equal-fights.

so i look at this from a court angle, not a barbershop or He-Man-Woman-Haters angle.

my bad?

anyway, in court the brother would have some trouble if the jury sees that video. b/c that hit will turn most of them off, i imagine. but there's more to the story than the video - maybe he or someone else can testify to something she said that will help support the theory that he REASONABLY believed he needed to defend himself. i dunno.

as for my personal opinion - yes, i think the brother went too far striking that woman in the face as he did. i think he was retaliating against her for having hit him first and not defending himself. i hear he's been cut from the football team and i think that's best for him and the program.