Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion
Topic subjectHow many albums released since 2000 are in your Top 10?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=12846108
12846108, How many albums released since 2000 are in your Top 10?
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
Last week, someone Tweeted that Kanye's "My dark twisted fantasy" was the best Rap album of all time, and I STRONGLY disagreed. I responded saying it's not even in my Top 20, and I named a good ten albums that I felt are better.

Being that Twitter is open to the world, a good number of folks disagreed, and told me that it's at least Top 5-10. But what was interesting is that a few folks pointed out that I only mentioned albums from the 90's as being Top 10.

That made me think...how many albums from 2000-2015 would I put in my Top Ten albums of all time? I never even created a list of my top ten albums, but I am thinking there might be 2-3 albums that I would put in there.

Poll question: How many albums released since 2000 are in your Top 10?

Poll result (10 votes)
1-2 (6 votes)Vote
3-4 (4 votes)Vote
5-6 (0 votes)Vote
7-8 (0 votes)Vote
9-10, because I was born after 1995 (0 votes)Vote

12846116, Chris Rock thinks that's the best album of all time.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon Jul-06-15 12:04 PM
"Better than Thriller, better than allathat!" - him on Juan Epstein

Honestly, Graduation is a better album to me...probably in my top 20 albums of all time.
12846124, I'm thinking I could find one
Posted by Mack, Mon Jul-06-15 12:11 PM
and I probably haven't even listened to it yet. My ability to purchase and fully listen to albums significantly decreased in 2001 (hello parenthood) but I know there were solid albums released since 2000 so if given the chance, I bet at least one of them would make my top 10.
12846142, MBDTF is fast becoming the most overrated album of all time
Posted by John Forte, Mon Jul-06-15 12:30 PM
12846149, I never knew people liked it that much to care
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jul-06-15 12:38 PM
but it sounds like something a Ye fan would say to get twitter poppin'

12846157, dawg, millennials, especially white millennials
Posted by John Forte, Mon Jul-06-15 12:42 PM
think it's one of the best albums of the last 20 years, in ANY GENRE
12846252, lmao... I haven't had a convo about rap with a white person
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jul-06-15 01:58 PM
since the late 90's

12846268, my breathless review probably sums up what Forte is getting at, lol.
Posted by Nodima, Mon Jul-06-15 02:06 PM
it's easily the most popular thing I ever wrote outside of the Handbook linked in my sig.

http://www.popmatters.com/review/133594-kanye-west-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy/

parts of it make me cringe a little now since I was still pretty green as a critic (that intro is stupid as hell :(), and I definitely remember being skeptical of the album the first few times I heard it, but whenever I go back and listen to anything off that album I can't be too mad at myself. it's fucking glorious.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
12846830, no need to cringe. you 100% right.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Jul-06-15 09:44 PM
12846270, Yep.
Posted by Hitokiri, Mon Jul-06-15 02:08 PM
I listened to it again after Chris Rock starting talking about it being better than Thriller. And yeah... It's a good album and all. But top 10 hip hop album (not even gonna get into all genre) it is not.
And lately I've been perusing some other boards... much younger demographics than OKP and those motherfuckers swear the MBDTF is one of the best hip hop albums of all time... along with one of first two Kid Cudi albums.
The shit is insane.
12846837, No different that half of OKP thinking Bahloon Mindstate was De La's best album
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jul-06-15 09:51 PM
Most people will prolly say rap albums made when they were in there 18 to 24 range is the best albums of all time.

12846273, YUUUUUUP
Posted by Ashy Achilles, Mon Jul-06-15 02:09 PM
12846732, the chronic.
Posted by Mike Jackson, Mon Jul-06-15 08:05 PM
sociopathic easy listening.
took everything shocking and exciting about p-funk and removed it.

etc.

I've said it many times, and will continue to say it.

that album blows.

anyway, MBDTF is an ambitious album. if it had been released
by a no-name and not kanye west, I doubt it would be as revered as it is.

but how many classics would be classics, by that standard.

I can see why ppl love it.
I love it too.
12846840, Nah, if a no name made MBDTF they would be a household name
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jul-06-15 09:53 PM
Its a good album.
12846855, My nigga JCM back!!!
Posted by John Forte, Mon Jul-06-15 10:19 PM
12848674, #GONG
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Jul-08-15 02:45 PM
>sociopathic easy listening.
>took everything shocking and exciting about p-funk and removed
>it.
>
>etc.
>
>I've said it many times, and will continue to say it.
>
>that album blows.
12846751, Like I'm completely dumbfounded by that crowd
Posted by Amritsar, Mon Jul-06-15 08:28 PM
Must be young milleniald who don't remember shit about the golden era
12846150, Back to Black and Graduation Come to mind without really thinking about it
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jul-06-15 12:39 PM

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're
12846155, Madvillain might sneak in..
Posted by LAbeathustla, Mon Jul-06-15 12:41 PM
its still a great album..
12846161, madvillian and donuts are really it for me
Posted by tomjohn29, Mon Jul-06-15 12:46 PM
there are some that will make my top list but not top 10
12846175, Game Theory is in my top 10 n/m
Posted by IslaSoul, Mon Jul-06-15 01:03 PM
12846183, prodigy - HNIC is definitely up there
Posted by SHAstayhighalways, Mon Jul-06-15 01:08 PM
i don't really like to rank shit bc its too hard
if i love something i love it
but if i were forced to make some kind of list
that album (released in late 2000) would definitely be on it.
12846188, Words & Sounds Vol. 1
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Mon Jul-06-15 01:13 PM
That was a strong ass album.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
12846193, Black Messiah is in there, i think.
Posted by SoWhat, Mon Jul-06-15 01:16 PM
12846254, top 100?
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jul-06-15 01:59 PM
12846200, this is a loaded poll
Posted by hardware, Mon Jul-06-15 01:20 PM
the average person starts identifying with music seriously around 12 or 13

which for me, being born in 86, means 1999 so of course most of the albums i pick will be between 98-now

you can't expect somebody born in 1990 to pick more than a few from before 2000 because their sonic taste is different. Kanye been around long enough for people to be born not knowing what it was like before Kanye.

Edit:
ALSO, MBDTF is Kanye's magnum opus thus far.
12846233, It's not loaded, but most people here are 30+ and/or fans of 90's Rap
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon Jul-06-15 01:44 PM
Even folks I know born in the late 80's and early 90's would never have 9-10 albums ALL released since 2000.
12846245, i don't think anybody alive would have 9-10 from one decade
Posted by hardware, Mon Jul-06-15 01:51 PM
that said, i looked at my last.fm stats
i could probably list 9-10. dammit
12846205, MBDTF going down as top 5 maybe the GOAT.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Jul-06-15 01:23 PM
you dont have to like it but it's true.
12846258, thanks, I now know to never trust your opinion on music
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jul-06-15 02:00 PM
12846274, late pass much??
Posted by LAbeathustla, Mon Jul-06-15 02:10 PM
12846349, Forreal.
Posted by Hitokiri, Mon Jul-06-15 02:49 PM
A lot of folks around here disagree with his musical opinions almost entirely. Myself included.

I am always amused though at how tough he sticks to his guns in the face of overwhelming opposition.
I bet he frequents some of the "younger" hip hop boards.
12848950, Well hell he's only been around for like 21 years so he's excused lol
Posted by Lach, Wed Jul-08-15 06:35 PM
12846506, lol, nah, I just wanted to type that.
Posted by legsdiamond, Mon Jul-06-15 04:31 PM

12846623, the history will be written by us *devil grin*
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Jul-06-15 05:57 PM
12848676, I just can't see it being anything else but
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Jul-08-15 02:46 PM
an album to which people responded overwhelmingly positive, because they thought 808s was some bullshit

(it wasn't, IMO)

Last Registration and Graduation >>>>>>>>
12846209, Zero.
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jul-06-15 01:26 PM
Only one that may be close is "Supreme Clientele." That's it.
12846263, 2. MBDTF (#6) and Madvillainy (#2).
Posted by Nodima, Mon Jul-06-15 02:03 PM
36 Chambers
Illmatic
Madvillainy
Ironman
Stress The Extinction Agenda
MBDTF
It Takes a Nation of Millions...
Blowout Comb
ATLiens
Liquid Swords

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
12846289, I voted wrong...
Posted by JellyBean, Mon Jul-06-15 02:25 PM
I voted blue but it should probably be green

I forgot about 2006---that was a good year for music for me.
12846316, I'd place maybe three in my top ten
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Jul-06-15 02:35 PM
and those would be Fishscale, Donuts, and The Shining.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.
12846343, Fishscale before Supreme Clientele?
Posted by Mack, Mon Jul-06-15 02:45 PM
this is now the second time I've seen this. The first being that SPIN Magazine Top 300 albums list.
12846344, Donuts and Madvilliany for sure
Posted by ChampD1012, Mon Jul-06-15 02:45 PM
Game Theory as well...that's three...

But there are so many perspectives into this...

if I can put multiple albums from the same artist in the top 10...my answer would most likely be 0...maybe 1...

But i'm not using multiple albums from the same artist...
12846418, I still think Late Registration is Ye's best, and not top 10
Posted by Alphabet, Mon Jul-06-15 03:40 PM
all time. I got it sitting some where at 12 or 13, MBDTF somewhere edging top 20..

I just made my personal list out and only post 2000 album that made it was Jay's Blueprint. Aquemini (1998) And Chronic 2001 (1999) just missed it because of the years they came out.

Even though I think the early 2000's was the last golden era (The Nas, Jay & Em at their peaks era) I only have one album from that time in my top 10 all time.

12846503, GKMC has got to be on the list for me
Posted by exactopposite, Mon Jul-06-15 04:29 PM
12848779, Easily
Posted by ALmighty44, Wed Jul-08-15 03:53 PM
People don't want to admit it and I think in 10 years listeners will listen back and hear what a classic album it is.
12846629, RE: How many albums released since 2000 are in your Top 10?
Posted by Wonk Saggin, Mon Jul-06-15 06:00 PM
MAYBE Madvillainy. I like all of Kanye's work, but non of it is top 10 all time for me.
12846680, Zero?
Posted by handle, Mon Jul-06-15 06:53 PM
Marshall Mathers LP and M.M. Food aare both great - but contain too much filler to be top 10 material.

I like Madvillainy, but not Top 10.

Side A of Game Theory for sure.

The Grey Album would be better without the lyrics.

For non rap - maybe Yoshimi battles the Pink Robots or Vampire Weekend or Voodoo.

I like the Holy Ghost! records Dynamics and sefl-titled, but they're too throw-back to be in top 10.
12846763, 1-2
Posted by Anonymous, Mon Jul-06-15 08:40 PM
I've thought about recently and it's a hard thing to judge.

I'd say Donuts is a definite. I just love that album from top to bottom.

The Fix is right there for me.

Game Theory is close as well.

Then there are others like Skelethon and Never Better which I think are great and original albums but it's so hard for any album to compare to something I grew up on.

It's funny because if I make a top 10 from 1990-1999 and then another top 10 from post 2000, I may possibly think that the post-2000 list contained the "better" albums while the 1990-1999 list contained my favorite albums.
12846825, None would make my top 10. A couple in the top 25 though
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Mon Jul-06-15 09:33 PM
12846826, off the top of my head Back to Black & MBDTF are in
Posted by Binlahab, Mon Jul-06-15 09:35 PM
and you a fool if you even dream of thinking your taste in music is better than mine

does it really matter?

wonder what bin's doing?
http://i.imgur.com/phECCMp.jpg
12846856, that's not even Ye's best album to older heads
Posted by illegal, Mon Jul-06-15 10:22 PM
First time I ever said "heads" rap earnestly btw
12848667, I created a list of my 20 favorite albums since 2000...
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Jul-08-15 02:42 PM
Blog post: http://djrtistic.tumblr.com/post/123572275055/my-20-favorite-rap-albums-from-2000-2015

Not necessarily the "best" 20, and not even sure which ones would be in a Top 10 overall. But these are my 20 favorites to come out since then.

1. Jay-Z – The Blueprint

This is the album that got me into Just Blaze and Kanye, and they both ended up being dominant for the rest of the decade. Aside from “Jigga that nigga,” the album still sounds just as good as it did that first day I downloaded it, days before the September 11th release.

2. Common - Like Water For Chocolate

I remember being on a site back in 2000 that had links to songs that played in RealPlayer, and they listed a track called “Dooinit.” I was never into Common (Sense) before this, and was still a bit salty that he dissed my favorite rapper on “The bitch in yoo” a few years earlier…yet, this track blew my mind, and made me an instant fan of Jay Dee/Dilla. I went on to buy the album, and that intro alone had me hooked.

3. Kanye West - Late Registration

College dropout showed Kanye’s potential, but this album here let me know that he would be legendary. Surprisingly, I wasn’t a fan of “We major” the first time hearing it, but it grew on me, and is a true masterpiece at this point. The skits were almost too perfect, since I was in college at the time.

4. Kendrick Lamar – To pimp a butterfly

This is one of the most polarizing major releases to drop since 2000. I feel that this album has to be listened to from start to finish, without shuffle or skipping any tracks. Musically, it appeals more to my Jazz sensibilities on most tracks, and I can understand that it won’t impact all fans the same way. But to me, it’s nearly perfect. The only song I don’t care for is “U,” but it still makes sense within the context of the album, although it’s hard for me to listen to.

5. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid, Mad City

It’s hard to say if I like this more than “To pimp a butterfly,” but to me, this album had the stronger, impact songs, while TPAB is a more complete, deeper album. The skits on here are perfect, and he showed that he can make great songs without forcing them to sound commercial (well, except for “Poetic justice.”)

6. Slum Village - Fantastic Vol 2.

I bought “The Wash” soundtrack in 2001, and one of my favorite songs was from Latoiya Williams, which was called “Everytime.” I checked the liner notes, and saw that it sampled a song called “Get dis money” from Slum Village. I checked their song out, then got the album…and I was mad at myself for discovering it so late, especially since I was a huge fan of Dilla’s work on “The love movement” and “Like water for chocolate.” Production wise, this is my favorite album on the list.

7. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP

Eminem completely showed out on this album. It was one of those rare cases where a great rapper was able to really get off lyrically and flow-wise, while still making an enjoyable album. I won’t lie, I hate “Kim” though.

8. Little Brother - The Minstrel Show

I didn’t hear this album until 2007, but it ended up in my rotation almost weekly once I found out about it. Unlike most albums I have enjoyed, I could actually relate to a lot of the topics. Everything from the standout tracks like “Slow it down” to the Mr. Biggs skit were fire.

9. Snoop Dogg - Tha Last Meal

I first heard this album when Death Row pulled an extremely slick, yet hilarious move. They had just released an album full of Snoop’s unreleased material, which was disrespectfully called “Dead man walking,” and they put both albums up on their website. However, “Dead man walking” was only available as a low –quality RealPlayer stream, while “Da last meal” was a high quality, CDQ MP3 download. I downloaded it, and knew it would be a personal classic as soon as I heard that Rose Royce interpolated intro. The album officially dropped the day after I started driving, so it is tied to my memories of rolling into my High School parking lot, blasting it loud enough for everyone to hear it.

10. Young Jeezy - Let’s Get it: Thug Motivation 101

For some reason, I wasn’t a fan of Jeezy when I first heard him…oh yeah, that’s because I first heard him and Gucci Mane on “So icey,” which I wasn’t a fan of. Everyone on campus at FAMU was playing this album, and when I finally listened, I finally understood the appeal, and was hooked. I can’t count how many times I had to re-wire my unmounted sub, just to make sure it was working for when I played this.

11. Lil Wayne - Tha Carter

It’s hard to decide which Wayne album is the “best” between the first three Carters, but I feel like this is the one that I enjoyed the most. Carter III was the most commercially appealing, and Carter II was his best rap-wise, but Carter I seemed to show his personality the most, and Mannie Fresh’s production was on fire.

12. Drake - So far gone

Early in 2009, I remember everyone on Twitter and Facebook talking about some new kid named Drake…and my first thought was, “the dude who had that song with Dwele and Little Brother, called ‘Don’t you have a man?’” I realized that it was the same person, and checked it out. It took a while to get into, since it was so much different at the time, but it stayed in rotation even after his debut album dropped the next year.

13. Jay-Z - The Black Album

First, I’m gonna be petty and say that I’ll never forgive Jay for picking that beat for “Justify my thug” from Quik. Quik is my favorite producer ever, and I was hype when I found out that he was producing on this album. However, Quik gave him some beats to select from, which included that “California” track that he uses on “Trauma,” but Jay chose the one he chose. I was highly disappointed…but aside from that, the album is easily classic, and was a great way for him to fake retire. Since his return, he still hasn’t topped this album.

14. The Game - The Documentary

I have a lot of personal ties to this album, since I was producing for Game’s label, Black Wall Street, as it was being created. I even remember being at the house on Brazil St. back in September 2004, when Game got the call from Aftermath that the album was being pushed back to January. Once the album finally came out, it was what everyone was hoping for. He was able to tie in all of the current sounds at the time, while having a great presence on every track.

15. Lil Jon – Kings of Crunk

This album was basically the soundtrack to my Freshman year in college. Lil Jon may have become a novelty to many of us after Dave Chappelle’s skit, but he was great at what he did in the Crunk era (and even the Hyphy era), and this album was proof. Being an 18 year old, going to clubs in Florida, L.A., and Atlanta, “Get low” was the most amazing, perfect club song ever when it first came out.

16. Murs & 9th Wonder - Murs 3:16: The Ninth Edition

I still love every song on this album. The production matches Murs stories and lyrics perfectly, and it’s just as cohesive as 9th’s Little Brother projects. I was almost in shock the first time I saw Murs perform “And this is for…” in front of a 95% White crowd, but he pulled it off and received a great ovation for it.

17. Outkast – Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

I’ve heard “The love below” described as “Andre doing karaoke,” but to me, it was great to see how he tied in so many sounds and eras into one project and made it work. I wasn’t a big fan of “Hey ya,” but was a fan of the full album from the first listen. I even enjoy hearing the Jazz Fusion meets Drum n Bass version of “My funny valentine.” As for Big Boi’s album, he had some slept on gems like “Bowtie” which surely should have been a single.

18. Nas – Stillmatic

I still remember playing this on the way to school in December 2001, as my boy Bryan rode with me. He was the biggest Jay-Z fan ever, and was almost mad that I even bought a Nas album. Yet, when “Ether” came on, and he heard it for the first time…I remember him saying “no! NO!!! NOOOO!!!!!!!!!” as the song went on. He knew it was a new day, just as most of us did at the time. The rest of the album was even better, musically…and the first time I heard “One mic,” I said “yeah….Nas is back, for real, for real!”

19. Rick Ross - Teflon don

Rick Ross was probably the biggest thing in Rap when this came out. Drake was the newest, hottest commercial rapper, and of course Jay and Kanye were holding it down, but Ross was the street’s favorite. I was always amazed at how he could make the biggest trap songs at the time, which started with the Jeezy influenced “BMF,” but then make the coldest smooth tracks like “Super high.”

20. E-40 – My ghetto report card

Hyphy was at it’s peak when this album dropped, and it was exactly what I hoped for. I mean, the album opens up with “Yay area,” where the Digable Planets sample had me hype before the beat even dropped!
12848672, OK, I thought all youngins had lost their mind calling MBDTF a GOAT
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jul-08-15 02:44 PM
Album.

Seems you got some good since in ya and the whole young world ain't done gone mad.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're
12848690, this is a solid list, and I think you could argue that some of these...
Posted by PROMO, Wed Jul-08-15 02:54 PM
are even classics.

none of 'em crack my personal top-10 though.

12848783, Even though there are albums I don't care for on here, this is SOLID!!
Posted by Hitokiri, Wed Jul-08-15 03:54 PM
There's no way to not respect it.
Well done.
12848794, i agree with these, plus:
Posted by Government Name, Wed Jul-08-15 04:02 PM
Chain Gang Volume 2 - State Prop
Graduation - Kanye West
MBDTF - Kanye West
12848928, It feels like there's no general consensus on Kanye's best album
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Jul-08-15 06:06 PM
I saw Complex saying Late Registration was worse than ALL his albums except the compilation with "Mercy," I almost banned their IP from my computer.
12848678, This post made me do back and revisit MBDTF
Posted by John Forte, Wed Jul-08-15 02:46 PM
I like it even less now.
12848695, Thanks for saving me the effort.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Wed Jul-08-15 02:57 PM

12848698, Nil.. tho Supreme Clientele & Cold Vein are close
Posted by melmag, Wed Jul-08-15 02:59 PM
12848705, RE: How many albums released since 2000 are in your Top 10?
Posted by double 0, Wed Jul-08-15 03:03 PM
Maybe half...

prior to 2k I got..

Illmatic
Reasonable Doubt
All Eyez On Me
Homogenic

These are my for sure 3 then there is Its Dark & Hell Is Hot, Ready To Die, The Score, The Infamous, Miseducation, Aquemini, The Chronic..

BUT

equally as important to me are Blueprint, 808s & Heartbreaks, Section 80., Love Below, So Far Gone.. followed closely by Late Registration, Atlantis: Hymns For Disco, Food & Liquor (leaked version).. but there are a ton more in other genres as well..
12848714, The candidates I can think of are...
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Jul-08-15 03:10 PM
Donnie - The Colored Section

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly

Maybe... Common - Electric Circus

12848770, Something El-P has done would probably make it.
Posted by stylez dainty, Wed Jul-08-15 03:48 PM
12848784, I'm going to add an outlier...East Point's Greatest Hit
Posted by ALmighty44, Wed Jul-08-15 03:54 PM
Only because it was released in '99
12848965, Then it doesn't count lol
Posted by Boogie Stimuli, Wed Jul-08-15 06:59 PM
"Poll question: How many albums released since 2000 are in your Top 10?"
12849080, mamas gun is closest
Posted by Selah, Wed Jul-08-15 10:50 PM
top ten is hard

(without thinking about it hard at all....)

1. innervisions
2. atliens
3. aquemini
4. my life
5. ne heartbreak
6. parade
7. sign of the times
8. 36 chambers
9. de la soul is dead